2 questions

BikerBoy

personally wear Helmet , riding leather jacket , guilty of Mechanix gloves made for tradesman who work with sharp edges,so they are kevlar stitched and specifically made for a company i worked for , and a properly tied work style boot.

rodi_2056_209811935

I bought these for the significant other for his birthday. He seems to like them OK, the Icon merc. I like that they have this carbon fiber protection over the knuckles to protect from icky scrapes.

2007_Icon_Merc_Short_Glove_Blue.jpg

Edited by ChickOn2
spelling looked like I was smokin crack

I Have SIDI Vertigo boots. They feel a bit awkward on the bike as I have to tilt my foot more to get the toe under the shifter. I'm sure I could probably adjust the lever but haven't done so yet. I lost some height as well since the soles sre thinner than my hiking shoes.

Other than that they feel comfortable. I got mine new off of E-Bay for $150. Retail $300.

Someone had bought them and then had second thoughts.

I wear Leather Jacket, Gloves, Boots all the time.

Recently just picked up a pair of SHIFT Havoc Leather pants.

Wow. I need to show this to my wife next time she bitches because I make her put on jeans and shoes when she rides with me. She wears flip-flops all year around and hates closed toe shoes, but no shoes or boots, no ride.

I always wear good boots when I ride, but very seldom wear anything but boots as it is. Good socks make them more comfortable and cooler. I usually wear Columbias, Smartwools, or any good merino wool. Sounds hot, but they wick way moisture and keep your feet dry and cool.

Shop around for good boots, you can find a good pair for less than $100. Any good leather is better than a tennis shoe. Just make sure they are oil resistant if you don't get boots designed for riding. The first time you put your foot in a puddle of oil at a stoplight, you'll be glad you did.

I always wear my helmet, but I am guilty of riding in a t-shirt when it is hot, and about the only time I wear gloves is if I'm cold. Just a risk I choose to take, doesn't mean it's right.

Wear the gear though, man. Better safe than sorry.

Like others said, the one-handed thing will come after you ride for while.

When I first started riding, I usually kept the brake and clutch covered. Take your time with this, don't feel like because you see everyone else doing it, it doesn't mean you have to until you are comfortable.

Edited by Artmageddon

Wow. I need to show this to my wife next she bitches because I make her put on jeans and shoes when she rides with me. She wears flip-flops all year around and hates closed toe shoes, but no shoes or boots, no ride.

Hear, hear! stick to your guns!!

So i dont have the cash to drop on a great pair of riding boots, so i just wear my work boots, they are a typical pair of black Rocky boots. Now besides the obvious of the riding boots being more protective, with the work boots is it considered an in between protection - a step up from tennis shoes but not as good as purpose built riding boots? Or is it sufficient enough to ride with work boots all the time? i dont want to end up like the aforementioned picture :flingpoo: <-- no relevance just wanted to use this :)

So i dont have the cash to drop on a great pair of riding boots, so i just wear my work boots, they are a typical pair of black Rocky boots. Now besides the obvious of the riding boots being more protective, with the work boots is it considered an in between protection - a step up from tennis shoes but not as good as purpose built riding boots? Or is it sufficient enough to ride with work boots all the time? i dont want to end up like the aforementioned picture :flingpoo: <-- no relevance just wanted to use this :)

I'd like to think of them as a good in between. Leather work boots are fairly close in general construction and as long as they are laced up then you shouldn't have a problem with the most important part which is them getting blown off your foot like tennis shoes.

Mine aren't motorcycle specific, I wear a pair of GBX's or Wolverines.

The sportbike guys can answer this, but I would think a true riding boot may be better on a sportbike because of the angle your feet sit at.

Does it make a difference?

Mine aren't motorcycle specific, I wear a pair of GBX's or Wolverines.

The sportbike guys can answer this, but I would think a true riding boot may be better on a sportbike because of the angle your feet sit at.

Does it make a difference?

I wear a pair of work boots right now. The Sidi Vertigos come in in a couple of days, I'll report the differences in another thread work boots vs. riding boots.

I wear a pair of work boots right now. The Sidi Vertigos come in in a couple of days, I'll report the differences in another thread work boots vs. riding boots.

+1 - i would really like to hear what you have to say about the difference

Daily gear.... Nolan modular helmet, Icon stealth or Timax gloves, Icon accelerant boots, Icon leg/knee armor under jeans, Fieldsheer armored jacket.

Back in '07 I figured that since I was only going 1 mile down the road that I didn't need all the gear, and only put on my riding boots. When I got hit (by two cars) .1 miles before my destination, my ankles and feet were the only thing not damaged or road rashed. I wore a hole in my knee about an inch deep and 2" around, shattered my jaw and arm, spent 6 weeks w/jaw wired shut, and 2 weeks of being in a coma. I still refuse to wear a full riding suit as I ride a cruiser, but I'm 90% protected from head to toe.

Wear the gear, your family will thank you later.