Rt.536 The Dragon's Tail of Ohio

JBWalker

26 looks like a heck of a road as well. How is that one, anyone know?

When the pavement is in decent shape 26 out of Marietta is very good, unfortunately it hasn't been is good shape in years (haven't ridden it yet this year). The part north of Woodsfield is always awful.

26 looks like a heck of a road as well. How is that one, anyone know?

Rt. 26 has been recently resurfaced and is in very good condition. 26 is over 50 miles long in each direction. and can be ridden at moderate to high speeds. many twisties & hills, lack of LEO, much good scenery, including a few covered bridges.

Ah yes, I have been on 536 twice last year and damn near had to drag a knee through one of the turns to stay on my side of the road. Go through it once and check for gravel and if it's all clear, head back up, which is easier and easier on the nerves. Rt. 800 can be taken back up as a kind of a loop from Rt.7, after you get to the bottom of 536. Good stuff...

536 is scary, every time i've been on it.

not cause of gravel or grass (and you do see that every once in a while) but cause it's scary hard and scary fun

Lost,

Mike (Duc Monster) and I rode the lower half of your posted route on Memorial Day Weekend, spending a night in Marietta. (555 --> 32/7 --> 26 ) We took 260 and it's really fun stuff. Not everything is well-signed, though. I had my first-ever 'off' on 260 at a place called Creighton Ridge Cemetary.

26 is indeed in excellent condition and good riding.

And yes, that would be a lot of riding to do in one day from NEO. Not impossible by any means, but you'd be pretty tired by the time you got back home.

-Dave

Sure would be a lot for one day. Maybe I can get 2 but it will have to be well planned. I will work on that now.;) Maybe next month.

Off? You need to tell me more. If it was a couple weeks ago, I hope all is well.

I am going to be out and about after 2 tomorrow and after 3 Saturday. If your around give me a shout and we can ride some local stuff.

As far as the off, all I know is that at some point, the road curved, and I didn't. I wasn't even going fast or trying to be aggressive at that point. I dunno if I just had my head up my ass, if something else had caught my attention or what, but I came over this rise, the road went right and I realized I wasn't gonna make the turn. Ended up locking the rear brake, going across the opposite lane and ended up in small patch of grass -- in front of a cemetary (Creighton Ridge Cemetary). The slighly personal part of it is that my dad had wanted to name me Creighton when I was born (thank you MOM!) , so here I am, essentially wrecking, almost into a cemetary that bears a name almost given to me. It sorta spooked me a bit. Mike had been behind me and he pointed at the cemetary's sign and then at me, as to say "that's where you are gonna end up." I never went down or anything, just off the road. No damage other than a bruised ego.

If you see this in time, send me a txt when you head out.

-Dave

Next month or possibly the end of this month I want to make a 2 day or possibly 2 1/2 day trip down there. That way I can ride some and enjoy. The loop I mapped out if I was going to do it all in one day and ride home it's almost 600 miles. Not my idea of fun. I would rather not blow by everything and ride some of the other nice spots down that way. Taking a couple day to do it.

you should ride down and hit all the good stuff, stay overnight at hocking hills cabins or something, and ride back up in reverse. rinse, repeat, for the good roads. yarrrrr

i will pass

If NEO'ers want to hit the really good stuff in SE OH, it's a long day but well worth it. We do it 10-12 times a year. Typically, I am on the road before 8a, home before 5p. We keep the pace brisk & the stops short. Depending on the route it's usually around a 450 mile day.

I may do a SE OH loop this Friday and for sure on Sunday.