Tip: Don't crash like I did

Sara_Rides

I'm a real rider for SURE now! Earlier this morning I experienced my very first crash.

Anticipating the ride to the BIG bike night tonight I decided to ride to work today since the restaurant/bar is like a mile away from my work.

I woke up to rain, but that didn't deter me, I was determined to ride to work anyway.

I donned all of Michael's gear, including rain gear, wrapped my phone and all other valuables in plastic bags to avoid water damage and I was off.

Following the rules of my permit I rode back roads. I was on Grandview Ave. near downtown and was coming to a stoplight so I pulled in the clutch and applied my front break. Deciding the front break would not provide sufficient stopping power I applied the back break and WHOOPS, down I went.

I'm fairly certain that the back break locked up and the bike launched to the side tossing me off and coming down on my foot. (THANK GOD FOR GEAR) I managed to pick the bike up and pulled off to the side of the road where, once assuring my safety, I lost it.

Keep in mind I am a girl and a new rider....that being my first crash I was shaken up and immediately began sobbing uncontrollably. I called Michael whose immediate concern was my safety and once convincing him that I was okay, calmed me down and convinced me to get out of the rain and call him back.

I got the bike restarted and thought briefly that I could make it the rest of the way to work, but was WAY too shaken up. I pulled into NAPA, the very first place with doors and an open sign and asked them if I could hang out there until my fiance came to get me.

I realized very quickly that my ankle hurt like a son of a bitch and continued to cry. Bless all those employees hearts, one brought me coffee, one sat outside with me while I smoked...an EMT came when Michael got there and looked at my ankle, the EMT and another man helped Michael get me into the car, and they even let me leave my bike parked by the store front until Michael had time to go back and get it.

Overall, not the worst experience I've ever had in my life...and now I have my first crash out of the way. I'm still going to bike night and if I can get the swelling in my ankle and foot to go down, I'm RIDING. Not sure Michael will want me to do that and that would be okay too.

I am so blessed to have a man as helpful, patient, loving and caring as he is. I don't know what I would have done without him.

But there you have it...I crashed and my tip to others riders is......DON'T. lol

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoo thats scary, glad your alright. Know the other question hows your bike?

My bike is a CHAMP, not a scratch or a dent or any other problems. I wasn't going that fast, I was just a big blubbering baby about it and had it not been for the swelling and pain in my ankle I could have made it work.

My bike is a CHAMP, not a scratch or a dent or any other problems. I wasn't going that fast, I was just a big blubbering baby about it and had it not been for the swelling and pain in my ankle I could have made it work.

It's ok, for some reason a girl can get away with that. Oh and not only can they get away with it but the world stops when a girl starts sobbing, you are at that moment, the most important person within a square mile.

I kid I kid. ;)

easy on the brakes in the rain, good lesson...

LOL, yea, I learned THAT lesson real quick!!

Good job zerocrash for being a good bf! ;) haha

He is PERFECT....he's cautioned me about breaks and rain on more than one occassion and bless his heart he never uttered the words "I told you so" He just held me while I cried and told me the most important thing is that I was safe :)

Well, you now know that a lot of back brake pressure is a bad thing.

Yea, I officially HATE my back break, lol

Did you go down at the intersection of grandview and goodale? If so, that hill is tricky!

P.s. Welcome to the crash club! (michael is our president) :D

I went down at an intersection, but it was the intersection of Grandview and I670...I made it up that hill fine...my dumbass aparently can't stop is all...lol

I didn't know my honey was the president of the crash club!! lol, all the more reason for me to be a member!

Thanks for all your support...I know it really wasn't a back wreck, but since it's the only one I have to go on so far, it seemed like a really big deal to me. Not so much now, a few hours later, but still....

Edited by Casper
fixed quote

glad you are ok! Remember, the first 24 hours after are the most important to keep ice on that ankle, 10 min on 10 min off. It will help alot with the swelling and heal time! Hope to see ya tonight, id advise ya to not ride considering the weather and your weak ankle. Give it time to heal! :D

Theres only two kinds of riders in the world.

Them's that have crashed and them's thats going to crash.

You have now joined the majority.

Now that you have that out of the way you can get on with life.

What did you learn from this?

Oil dripping from cars makes intersections very slick in the rain.

(It's worst in the center of the road, stay in the tire tracks from the cars)

Easy on the brakes in the rain. Next time steer into the skid and keep the bike up.

Gear is good.

You are now an official biker. ;)

Glad your not hurt!

Glad that you are OK......what a couple you guys are...... zerocrash and onecrash.....kidin kidin.....hope zero is taking good care of you....take it easy...don't we get hurt in other sports.....collect yourself....take your time and go back out there with more experience.......gooodluck and best wishes

Yep she's now's definitely a member of the club! After further inspection of the area where the incident took place, (I just got back from picking up the bike) I believe she gave it just a little too much rear as she was on the white painted directional line at the intersection, which we all know tend to be extremely slippery in the pouring down rain. The fact that the rear is a drum brake didn't help either, since they're pretty much "on" or "off". :rolleyes:

I thank you all for the support as well, she was pretty shaken up at first, but she's good now and already wants to get back on the horse. Hell after a few good crashes you barely even notice when they happen anymore. :D Speaking of which, I haven't been down on the street for a couple years now.. aww hell, that means I'm due soon as well. FML.. ;)

And again the nice thing about a dual sport, no bike damage whatsoever, except a scratch on the barkbuster, which of course saved the bars and lever. :)

P.s. Welcome to the crash club! (michael is our president) :D

You know that's right! :) Hell I just crashed my computer last night.. :D

Glad that you are OK......what a couple you guys are...... zerocrash and onecrash....

I wish my crash count was really at ZERO.. :D not even close..

quit acting like a girl and man up :rolleyes:

:lol: That's what I told her, and then make me a sandwich.. :D