Need to paint my car for cheap

prakthad

I need to get my 96 Honda Accord painted but want to spend as little as I possibly can. I will sand and scrape and do all the prep myself. Just need someone to spray it. Doesn't even have to be a great job or expensive paint - a couple of coats of plain black or the current green will do just fine.

I know AttackPainter on the forum does some paintwork but I am not sure if this hack paint job of mine will insult his artistic talents. I'd even paint it myself with some guidance and directions if I have to but I don't have any place to actually spray the car.

Any ideas?

I personally would suggest doing a very nice prep job yourself by using a palm sander and 320grit paper and scuffing as many crevices as you can get to and take it to macco.

They are capable of doing decent work as their painters arent terrible they lack in the prep area due to the fact that theyre paying someone minimum wage to sand and tape your car.

If you want to help to make sure they get paint everywhere take taillights out door handles out ect ect. Tape it off with quality masking tape not just cheap brown or tan as solvents will penetrate through.

Wondering if there is anyone out there that paints out of their garage. Would be cheap for me a way for someone to make a quick buck.

If I am using the same color to paint, I don't need to sand all the way to the metal right? What are your thoughts on those sprays you can use to strip paint off?

• 1 year later...

No need to take it down past the paint - same color or not - I'd prep it like attacks telling you, and take her to maaco. I've seen a couple of the "ambassador" paint jobs that a couple hundred bucks get and they're not too bad if you just need decent work......but if you take your time and scuff it right, it would probably turn out better than the ones I've seen

I personally would suggest doing a very nice prep job yourself by using a palm sander and 320grit paper and scuffing as many crevices as you can get to and take it to macco.

They are capable of doing decent work as their painters arent terrible they lack in the prep area due to the fact that theyre paying someone minimum wage to sand and tape your car.

If you want to help to make sure they get paint everywhere take taillights out door handles out ect ect. Tape it off with quality masking tape not just cheap brown or tan as solvents will penetrate through.

+1...Maaco does a good job for what you pay. If you are prepping it yourself, go as cheap as they have. If you want to skip the work yourself, pay for their best job (still cheap) and let them do the work. The prep is the most important part.

Hey Matt.....this is an old thread I somehow managed to revive from June '09.

Dont feel stupid though bro, I'm the idiot startin' this tard moment;)

I was just excited to see a post on a topic that I have a little knowledge of. Maybe someday I'll look at all the information before jumping in. Until then, you revive the dead shit and I'll continue to chime in!:D