any martial artists here?

velnarah

I was just wondering if anyone here is taking or has ever taken any form of martial arts classes? I've been thinking lately of looking into it but there's many different kinds. karate, taekwondo, tai chi, aikido, judo, kung fu, , ju jitsu, kickboxing, muay thai, etc.. list goes on.

it would be a good way to keep me motivated to stay in shape, help me to be more flexible, and of course being a woman it could come in handy if I were ever in a situation where I'd need to defend myself. Besides, I could use a life changing [for the better] hobby.

so..... discusss.

when i lived in columbus, id say i was about 9 or 10 when i started and was in taekwondo until i turned 18 then partying kinda took over and i quit i got my black belt but never pursued the "degree" rank i mainly helped out the instructors cause i used the gym to self teach Caporia the bad ass brazilian fighting technique. man thsoe where some good times..now if you ask me to try and do what i used to do id prob be in the hospital bed form pulling every muscle in my body and passout from smoking...be nice to get in shape again.

on fusions note..the place i went to "dublin taekwondo center" which was ran by the Slanes they started Krav Maga that was fun..Learning to fight in the dark.

Start with some local Women's self defense classes. Often free or low cost. Maybe even offered at local YWCA. And go from there if you have the interest in advance offensive or defensive training.

I took Kempo when I was young, I forget most of it now! I would love to get back into some sort of martial art training... but I don't have any time right now!

I took KENPO as well up until I was about 13.

Stopped at my blue belt when my dad divorced the female instructor. LOL:D Of course it didn't hurt the fact she got knocked up by another instructor and cleaned out my dad's bank account. NO.. we didn't make it on the Jerry Springer show. DOH! Regret.

I actually still remember some katas.

Krav maga or Muay Thai with some submission grappling.

I agree with Krav Maga. Muay Thai is a good art to know, but the problem is the lack of a ground 'game'. I use the word 'game' loosely, because in the street, there is no game.

My only suggestion would be to stay away from submission grappling if you are worried about self defense. Submission grappling is based on rules. There are no rules if you are trying to save your life or someone else's. Kill, or be killed. Taking submission grappling to a life or death situation is a good way to get killed.

Krav Maga or Jeet Kune Do would be my two choices. They teach lethal strikes...and try to finish the fight in the shortest time possible. That's what you want. No fluff. Throat strikes, groin strikes, eye gouges, whatever it takes. You won't learn that with submission grappling.

Used to do Tae Kwon Do. Its great cardio, and really good for flexability. I wouldn't say its the best for actual self defense though. Although a lot of Tae Kwon Do studios also offer Hapkido classes, which is a much more practical and effective means of real world self defense.

I agree with Krav Maga. Muay Thai is a good art to know, but the problem is the lack of a ground 'game'. I use the word 'game' loosely, because in the street, there is no game.

My only suggestion would be to stay away from submission grappling if you are worried about self defense. Submission grappling is based on rules. There are no rules if you are trying to save your life or someone else's. Kill, or be killed. Taking submission grappling to a life or death situation is a good way to get killed.

Krav Maga or Jeet Kune Do would be my two choices. They teach lethal strikes...and try to finish the fight in the shortest time possible. That's what you want. No fluff. Throat strikes, groin strikes, eye gouges, whatever it takes. You won't learn that with submission grappling.

:plus1: Definitely Krav Maga first for self defense. The Muay Thai with submission grappling was more of a get in great shape and know a little to defend your self in a typical fight. I've known a few Krav Maga ( and trained a little) and Jeet Kun Do guys and you aren't necessarily going to naturally get in great shape doing either, but they are better defense arts.

very true!

I thought it was Marital artists....You'd have to ask the ladies on how to skimp out on thousands of dollars for free. member of the women haters club--north end