any martial artists here?

velnarah

2 years of Ving Tsun (Wing Chun) and now I'm considering the art of joint locks such as Chin' Na which is probably impossible to find a local instructor, but nonetheless an effective form for defending against multiple attackers. Krav Maga is devestatingly effective especially when dealing with disarming an attacker.

I am still very loyal to the art of Ving Tsun where a defensive move is also an offensive move therefore defeating the threat with economy of motion.

I took KENPO as well up until I was about 13.

Stopped at my blue belt when my dad divorced the female instructor. LOL:D Of course it didn't hurt the fact she got knocked up by another instructor and cleaned out my dad's bank account. NO.. we didn't make it on the Jerry Springer show. DOH! Regret.

I actually still remember some katas.

Kenpo/Kempo, KEN means fist and PO means law. The term stems from the Chinese "KEMPO" which refers to all migrating Chinese Martial Arts outside of China. It is a great martial arts for self defance, Kenpo is a system of self defense based on logic and the scientific study of movement. By studying motion in all its nuances, Kenpo provides both maximum efficiency (no wasted time, movements, or energy) and maximum effectiveness (speed, power, focus). It offers explosive action with minimum target exposure. It employs linear as well as circular moves, utilizing intermittent power when and where needed, interspersed with minor and major moves that flow with continuity. It is flexible in thought and action so as to blend with encounters as they occur.

If you are looking for a self defance martial arts, I'd try to find someone who teaches Kenpo! Very cool stuff!

2 years of Ving Tsun (Wing Chun)

I am still very loyal to the art of Ving Tsun where a defensive move is also an offensive move therefore defeating the threat with economy of motion.

Wing Chun is excellent along with JKD.

I used to be into these 2 styles but finances haven't been good enough for years to actually train.

Black belt in Shotokan Karate. I still train although not at a dojo. I trained for a few years at a school in Grandview.

IMHO, each martial arts has its benefits in self defense as well as its faults. Each martial arts was developed specifically for the people who created it. For instance Brizillian Jui-jitsu was developed for fighting in Brazil where there were lots of beaches to fight upon and weapons were not used that much during fights. Krav Maga was developed by the Isreali military used for close combat street fighting. Great fighting style in close combat but not as effective if you are more than an arm's length away from your opponent. Karate and Taekwondo are great if you have some distance between you and your opponent but not as effective if the gap is closed.

The GOOD martial arts schools will allow you to take at least one class for free before comitting to a long term deal. Go visit 5 that are close in your area and chose what fits you. It doesn't mean much even if the martial art will teach you to fly if you don't like going to class and will never show up. Find what YOU like. All of them will give you a good workout. If your main goal is to defend yourself get a Glock.

Gun-fu beats Kung-fu every day.

The traditional stuff has it's place. I started out with taekwondo years ago...and quickly got bored. It was great for kicks and for fighting outside of a arms length (like Cleaner said), but offered nothing for the ground or realistic self defense up close and personal.

A martial artist will be familiar with all styles...and take a little from each...while stating true to his/her base. If you go to a school/dojo/dojang/whatever and they frown on another style or bad mouth every other style, immediately turn around and walk out.

My vote for self defense is close quarters is still Krav maga first, JKD second. Krav Maga is brutal, and designed to end the fight quick. I don't want to be worried about leverage and angles when someone is trying to ass rape me.

I got my Black in Kung Fu as a teen and then got my Black in Tae Kwon Do at 34. I had some injuries that forced me to stop but When I was active I really enjoyed it. I even got into Kum Do (sword) and Hap Kido (grappling). Best suggestion is to try several schools and see what you like. Some are more oriented towards self defense and some towards physical activity. The best ones work towards improving the mind as well as the body. :)

I got my green belt in Kenpo and my Blue in Taekwondo. Of the 2, I preferred Kenpo.

I've competed against Black belts both 2nd and 3rd degree in Taekwondo, full contact, and won the majority of my matches. Though I was put in severe pain for quite some time by a 4th degree.

In short what degree or color belt you have means little when street fighting. MMA is probably the way to go. That is a mixture rather than a pure art.

You've come to the right place to ask your question.....There are more MMA fighters on here than actual bikers ;)

I got my Black in Kung Fu as a teen and then got my Black in Tae Kwon Do at 34....... The best ones work towards improving the mind as well as the body. :)

Seems like you don't hear much about Kung Fu anymore :confused: Back when I took TKD in college, KF was considered some hardcore shit

Best shape I've ever been in was when doing TKD. Flexible too.......Literally had to kick a chain hanging 7' feet from ground for one exam. But that was 100 some lb's ago ;) Started taking it after gettin' jumped by 4 guys on the east side of Toledo one night after work, while out with some female coworkers. Got lucky that the girls watched my back where they could, and that it was just an old fashioned fist fight....No weapons involved.

We sparred w/ no pads every session, as our master always taught us that pads made you sloppy, and that controlled violence was more lethal than uncontrolled. He was old school Korean......Supposedly National Champ in '59 or something, and supposedly tested Chuck Norris for his 1st? degree. All kinds of pix around the studio of him laying on bed of nails with blocks on chest getting hammered w/ sledge, kicking through heavy bag to opponent on other side, hanging pails of water from nails through his forearm skin, etc. I went to a red/black belt practice a few times. He decided to use new guy as example one night for roundhouses, and next thing I know, in a blur, this old guys heel is touching my chin in blink of eye......And he's holding it there for demonstration to class, completely balanced on his other leg

And we had to meditate at the beginning & end of each class.

If I get to pursue it again in the future though, I'll probably look at Judo, or this Israeli stuff. Take more advantage of my "new" physique :D

Edited by Fonzie

TKD and FMA, with a little JKD, Muay Thai and Aikido.

JKD and FMA FTW!

Stay away from traditional martial arts classes if you want real self defense. Growing up taking TKD, when I was in college, I'd accidentally pull punches in real fights... too much self-control at times. :)

Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self Control, and Indomitable Spirit. Still memorized and lived to this day.:D

You'll learn more in a two week self-defense course, than a year in traditional martial arts classes.

Edited by Mellogsxr

wow this got lots of responses before I found time to get back to it. Till now I had never even heard of Krav Maga. There's lots of others here mentioned I'd like to look into.

I did mention martial arts as a form of motivation to get in shape and stay in shape but it's not something I would intend to get me there. Just something I want to persue for several different reasons. I merely suspect that it would be helpfull to keep me from slacking off in the fitness department.

I want to learn defensive as well as offensive disciplines but I also really want to get some weapons training. I want to learn boa staff [i have two but they've never been used] and I'd like to learn some sword arts, maybe katana. I'm not sure what you call it when you use two swords but I'd like to learn this kind of stuff.

I am interested in these things for more than just the benefits of self defense and physical flexibility/endurance. I am interested in the mental discipline and history of these arts as well. Some people have mentioned places from C-bus and dayton areas. I'm in cincy right now.

Others have mentioned what they wanted to do is too expensive... anyone able to give an estimate of a monthly or yearly cost for some of these classes?