CCW NEO-Training Course, Please Sign Up Here

Likwid

We have to bring our own + ammo, or is that provided/rental? Do we even need to bring one?

Once we get a confirmed number and have a date setup we'll ask if he can hook up a deal for gun rental as well.

Typically these classes require your own weapon and ammo, but most ranges rent guns, and some private clubs require you use their ammo. Seeing as Dan (the guy at Trigger Time) runs a public range and he does not have a rule posted about ammo I suspect those of us who are thrifty can bring our own.

Depending on what he has setup for rules (some classes I saw say no 22s or 380s) I may bring my 22 or my 40SW. I have about 100,000 rounds for my 22 so if that's the case I'm happy to share. If I have to bring my 40 that's going to be more costly but Wal-Mart is awesome for ammo.

http://www.triggertimellc.com/content/gun-rentals

XD is a super nice gun

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken from the AG's site

A document that shows the applicant is an active or reserve member

of the armed forces, or was honorably discharged within the past six

years, or is a retired highway patrol trooper, or is a retired peace officer

or federal law enforcement officer and who, through the position,

acquired experience with handguns or other firearms that was

equivalent to the minimum educational requirements; or

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/le/prevention/pubs/2009_ccw_book.pdf

I'd check out your ammo situation for sure before you guys go, finding .22 ammo is easy, but in southwest ohio finding 9 mm or some other calibers is like finding a needle in a haystack right now due to the shortages. I'd make sure the range has the ammo in stock before you go!

I'd check out your ammo situation for sure before you guys go, finding .22 ammo is easy, but in southwest ohio finding 9 mm or some other calibers is like finding a needle in a haystack right now due to the shortages. I'd make sure the range has the ammo in stock before you go!

Sound advice, while I am sure they carry ammo for the guns they rent, having enough is a good lesson. There is a Gander Mountain in North Canton, so we could always stop there, they usually have everything.

Also wanted to post something I found with the transporting question.

If you DO NOT have a license, you may not

transport a firearm in a vehicle unless it is unloaded and carried in one

of the following ways:

• In a closed package, box or case;

• In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

• In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for that purpose;

or

• If it is a firearm at least twenty four inches in overall length and if

the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length in plain sight with the

action open or the handgun stripped, or if the firearm is of a type in

which the action will not stay open or cannot easily be stripped, in

plain sight.

Locked gun case in a back-pack is likely fine.... but like I said, I'll check with a local sheriff's office once we get more details hammered out

Edited by Likwid

If it is gonna be $80 I am in let me know what day. try to make it a Friday,sat or Sunday think that would make it easier for people to make it. And there is still no ammo up this way anywhere beside the gun shops that charge top dollar. I have a small stockpile of 9mm so I will be bringing my wife's xd9mm I only have a little .45 for my gun and I have been unable to find any around here so the 9mm it is. Lets get a date nailed down for sure to help people plan this. Hey Ohio is a open carry state so just make sure your gun is visible when riding down LOL! (don't think i would try it)

You guys should PM Gump.

He set us up with a guy out of canton that did us a 1 day class for $30/ea. Very good instructor.

I'll see if i can find his number. he was good. i just turned in my cetificate to the sheriff. $55

too bad i didn't take the instructor course when i had the chance, my buddy might give you a break if you wanna travel down to canton. his classes are usually $100.

http://www.triggertimellc.com/

I vote for this course. I have nothing scheduled anytime soon and I probably won't till sometime in August.

I know the guy who runs triggertime and his main instructor. I've taught with the instructor before and I highly recommend him.

So being as I had military training in the past 6 years does that mean I dont have to the range time?? it wont open the link for me it says acrobat failed to open.

IF you have a DD214 that lists firearms training within the past 6 years, you do not have to take the course.

Sound advice, while I am sure they carry ammo for the guns they rent, having enough is a good lesson. There is a Gander Mountain in North Canton, so we could always stop there, they usually have everything.

Also wanted to post something I found with the transporting question.

Locked gun case in a back-pack is likely fine.... but like I said, I'll check with a local sheriff's office once we get more details hammered out

Store ammo separately and NO LOADED MAGS. The current law says loaded mag= loaded gun.

FWIW, the sherriff may or may not tell you correct information, LE isn't known for always knowing the law. ironic I know.

Walther is a certified instructor. Shoot him a PM and see if he has any classes already planned which you could get into.

He might not ride very well but I'd trust him giving CCW training.

gee thanks, asshole.

Like I said in another post, my schedule this summer sucks, so definitely go with Trigger time. Dan is good people and Joe is an excellent instructor. I may even come in and help teach the class depending on when you guys do it.

Store ammo separately and NO LOADED MAGS. The current law says loaded mag= loaded gun.

FWIW, the sherriff may or may not tell you correct information, LE isn't known for always knowing the law. ironic I know.

Unfortunately following the law isn't what keeps you from getting arrested, it's doing what the LEO expects/wants. But yah, we'll figure it out as we get closer..... thanks for checking in walther!

Unfortunately following the law isn't what keeps you from getting arrested, it's doing what the LEO expects/wants. But yah, we'll figure it out as we get closer..... thanks for checking in walther!

<instructor mode> Always follow the law, be prepared to have to educate LE on what the law is. They don't always know everything about every law, its a tough job, but I highly recommend knowing the statutes and carrying the AG book in your vehicle. When in doubt, politely inform them what the law is, and request that they call their shift supervisor. </instructor mode>

That said, most cops won't hassle you about guns.

So did we get a date set yet? If you have the gun in a locked case with the ammo say under your rear seat on a bike I would say that is OK with the current law. as you have the gun secured and the ammo not easily available to access. I think I will just take my car down for this one guys so if anyone wants to car pool from up this way let me know and we could figure it out as we get things set.

That is great advice, thank you very much!

I keep my mag loaded & chamber empty at home.... so I'll make sure to UNLOAD the mag before I even leave the bedroom with it.

an fyi keeping the same mag loaded for extended time can "set" the spring and give unreliable feed especially with cheaper mags and more so when loading them to capacity for anyone who may not know that ... I make a habit of swaping mags about once a week or so sometimes 2 weeks when Im lazy and usually only keep 10 in my 15 rnd mags 8 in my 10 rd .... besides if you cant get the job done with 2 rnds you probally otta go back to the range :D or get a laser

Don't know about the mag loaded thing I have asked that on EVERY gun site I am a member of and all said it is fine to leave them loaded. I asked my smith at my gun shop also he said it makes no matter where the spring is at in the mag it ONLY gets worn out from to much use which means constant up down movement. Think about your struts on your car do they go bad from the weight of your car sitting on them? no they go bad from milage which would be the up down movement of driving it.

Edited by speedytriple

an fyi keeping the same mag loaded for extended time can "set" the spring and give unreliable feed especially with cheaper mags and more so when loading them to capacity for anyone who may not know that ... I make a habit of swaping mags about once a week or so sometimes 2 weeks when Im lazy and usually only keep 10 in my 15 rnd mags 8 in my 10 rd .... besides if you cant get the job done with 2 rnds you probally otta go back to the range :D or get a laser

FYI this is completely FALSE. Springs wear by compressing and uncompressing. They do not wear by being kept in a compressed state. You can keep mags loaded for years and not affect the reliability in any way, shape or form.

FYI this is completely FALSE. Springs wear by compressing and uncompressing. They do not wear by being kept in a compressed state. You can keep mags loaded for years and not affect the reliability in any way, shape or form.

Hmmm well thats nice to know too, I guess different opinons from different sources that info I was quoting was from 2 sources, straight from a S&W rep a couple years ago at a sales event at Vances and thats the same thing that my father was taught years "and years" ago at his sherriffs dept training dont know if theyre still teaching that or not since it was early 80's when he was there . I think Ill leave one loaded all the time now as well as my ones I swap and maybe leave it that way till next summer and rapid fire both out and see if I can tell any difference .

Hmmm well thats nice to know too, I guess different opinons from different sources that info I was quoting was from 2 sources, straight from a S&W rep a couple years ago at a sales event at Vances and thats the same thing that my father was taught years "and years" ago at his sherriffs dept training dont know if theyre still teaching that or not since it was early 80's when he was there . I think Ill leave one loaded all the time now as well as my ones I swap and maybe leave it that way till next summer and rapid fire both out and see if I can tell any difference .

Common myth. Ask any mechanical engineer. You can confirm yourself by bending a hanger. Notice that if you bend it opposite directions enough it will break? but if you bend it once, it will stay in place without problems. Works the same with spring steel, albeit its made to survive multiple compressions.

Mags are typically the single most common point of failure in a semi-auto handgun. If you use them a lot, it makes sense to replace the springs every few years. By a lot, I mean thousands of rounds a year.