Trooper Clocked at 147!!!

jporter12

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a driving under suspension, and no insurance tickets from this very thing. I asked him why he pulled me over, he said "Cause you looked like a scared deer when you looked over at me." That was 12 or so years ago, and I STILL try to avoid eye contact with LEO's, even when I have nothing to worry about which ismost of the time, these days, other than occasionally speeding. He said that he ran my plates after seeing me, came up suspended license (had work priveledges, but was going the wrong way to get there) so he stopped me, and went through hell for a long time getting rides to work, etc...

Don't worry about that, the bots take over. Video computers in the patrol car can now scan every plate within viewing distance and automatically check them. Not a lot of those around yet, they are expensive. sort of like the targeting computer on an F-14 Tomcat, yeehaw....

Christopher Thomas (the Gahanna officer) entered a plea of guilty to speeding today and was fined $150 with a further $137 in costs. His license was suspended until 2010-02-01, although he has filed a motion for driving privileges.

Jason Highsmith (the state trooper) has is trial set for 2009-08-10, although his attorney has been going through continuances faster than most folks can go though Pringles.

Notably, Thomas faced the same judge (W. David Branstool) as Highsmith faces. This judge is reported to have threatened Highsmith with a 3 year suspension, so it would appear that the judge is easing off that now. The judge had allegedly qualified his "3 year" remark with words to the effect of; "if it turned out to have been reckless". Apparently Thomas' attorney was able to convince the judge and/or prosecutor that he didn't deserve 3 years.

Not sure if "Work Driving Privileges" (apparently filed for by Thomas) would him to drive FOR work, or just to and from. Anyone know?

Christopher Thomas (the Gahanna officer) entered a plea of guilty to speeding today and was fined $150 with a further $137 in costs. His license was suspended until 2010-02-01, although he has filed a motion for driving privileges.

Jason Highsmith (the state trooper) has is trial set for 2009-08-10, although his attorney has been going through continuances faster than most folks can go though Pringles.

Notably, Thomas faced the same judge (W. David Branstool) as Highsmith faces. This judge is reported to have threatened Highsmith with a 3 year suspension, so it would appear that the judge is easing off that now. The judge had allegedly qualified his "3 year" remark with words to the effect of; "if it turned out to have been reckless". Apparently Thomas' attorney was able to convince the judge and/or prosecutor that he didn't deserve 3 years.

Not sure if "Work Driving Privileges" (apparently filed for by Thomas) would him to drive FOR work, or just to and from. Anyone know?

I think that's for a judge to qualify.

I'm not sure how I feel about this outcome, but now we can say that 147 isn't considered reckless operation, or it can be plead out. Now that he plead guilty, I see no reason why Gahanna doesn't fire his ass on the spot. They couldn't before with the presumption of innocence, but now that's gone.

Ohio watchdog: No cover-up in officer's cases

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20090807/UPDATES01/90807016

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The state watchdog has found no cover-up by state police in their handling of the cases of two law enforcement officers ticketed for driving their motorcycles nearly 150 mph on a highway.

State Inspector General Tom Charles also says the patrol was not influenced by intense media scrutiny of the cases.

Christopher Thomas, a police officer in the Columbus suburb of Gahanna, was clocked June 28 going 149 mph on Interstate 70 east of Columbus. The speed limit is 65 mph. Thomas has pleaded guilty to speeding and publicly apologized.

Off-duty state trooper Jason Highsmith also was ticketed and has pleaded not guilty to speeding.

Highsmith didn’t receive his ticket until July 2, and Thomas’ was issued July 6, raising questions about a possible cover-up.

I don't think this was a cover up, I think this was a case of someone taking discrestion and a supervisor in the upper ranks putting the kybosh on that. That is why internally it came faster for the Trooper than it did for the Gahanna Officer.

The discretion never should have happened to begin with.

Wilson and Lee told their supervisor, Sgt. Russell Pasqualetti, that they didn't write tickets because the drivers were "friendlies," Pasqualetti told investigators.

fuck them.

i don't think this was a cover up, i think this was a case of someone taking discrestion and a supervisor in the upper ranks putting the kybosh on that. That is why internally it came faster for the trooper than it did for the gahanna officer.

The discretion never should have happened to begin with.

100%

If that were one of us, we would be locked up, or without a license. It sucks when he is getting away with that shit! It shows how they get favoritism, and how corrupt the system actually is!!!

If that were one of us, we would be locked up,

or without a license.

It sucks when he is getting away with that shit! It shows how they get favoritism, and how corrupt the system actually is!!!

Locked up, no.

Without a license, that is happening.

No one is getting away with anything. Due process in a court of law is taking effect now.

Granted, discretion took place here that should not have taken place. :rulez: should apply fairly and equally for all. That includes me. If I get stopped I do not expect that my badge will bail me out of anything, although it probably will and I will not ask for a citation if an officer decides not to write one. But I will not bitch if an officer decides to write me one either.

And if any one asks. I would have writen four citation that day. Two for speed, two for reckless on a public roadway. No jail, and no tow. Anyone else would get the same if they did not run.

:popcorn:

I am a little offended by the fine only being $150!!! I had to pay $115 for going 63 in a 45! I'm pretty sure the next two levels of speeding were higher than that.

On the news they asked him if they were racing and he said no. What a dumb question! That's just riding for the majority of ppl who ride like that! If they were racing, they would have been going quicker. That would have been a good response! LOL

Edited by F4iBunny

Seriously, if you are leave negative as my reputation, please, have the stones to leave your name and give a reason.

+1

Someone gave me negative reputation for my earlier post #262 with the comment 'tool'. ( http://www.ohio-riders.com/showpost.php?p=281757&postcount=262 )

Seriously, when people leave negative rep they should be man enough to put their name down. Why is the rep system anonymous anyways?

Well, the judge didn't tack on reckless operation to the mix, it looks like it was just the speeding. I guess 150 doesn't constitute reckless driving, I suppose it will be a matter of time before that precedent gets tested in court.

Well, the judge didn't tack on reckless operation to the mix, it looks like it was just the speeding. I guess 150 doesn't constitute reckless driving, I suppose it will be a matter of time before that precedent gets tested in court.

any volunteers to test it?

I tell you what though - the next person to get a reckless operation ticket from Highsmith had better have been going 200 in a school zone...

Can you imagine being at the side of the freeway getting a reckless ticket from him for 90. "Wow, maybe I should have sped up to 147 then it wouldn't have been reckless driving." :D