Last Minute Bike Pickup. Idea's? Ramps?

NightRider

Does anyone have any ramps i could borrow? Just for a night.

Friday the 10th, i go to pick up my bike. 600$ running motorcycle. Only issue with the bike, is front brakes are gone. The caliper is off.

I'll be taking an 04 dodge ram. The truck is huge, but the bed is rather high up. Stock wheels are 20's. I have no ramps. But i have tie down straps, i think 4. Anyone have any tips, if the bike decides to slip/slide/move in a wrong way? I don't have the luxary of grabbing a handful of front brake. Just the rear.

I should have my younger brother to help me get the bike in the truck. I was wondering if....anyone has any ramps i could borrow just for that night? I know we all (most of us lol) are cool with each other, and would trust. But if you are hesitant, i could leave my license, and or a check for the ramps, until i get back.

I'm in Lancaster obviously. Maybe someone in Columbus, or nearby could loan me some? I could drive up and grab the ramps to save you the trip, and bring them back that night.

Also for said help, you can have lunch on me or i can buy you a case of beer.

Thanks.

Shawn

Try to find a small hill, a cut-in driveway is the best and forget the ramps. It's much safer that way. As far as tethering it, it should have some sort of grab handles in back and in front get just behind the grips. Tether to the floor mounted hooks and don't cinch it too tight. Just enough to compress the suspension but by no means loose. Should be fine. I've done it a million times. Use the hill trick. Works every time.

Edited by hue jass

One what type of bike is it that you are getting??

Where are you getting said bike??

Have you done this before?

A 82 Honda Magna v45.

Out in the middle of bung fuck Egypt lol. There is literally a sign you pass....that says something Egypt. Technically, it's in Leesburg Ohio. Which is about an hour and a half drive from me. From Lancaster. I would ride it back, but i've never rode a bike with just back brakes. The roads too and from, are tight narrow roads. Gravel, twisty, etc.

No lol. Always time for a 1st though. Gotta learn sometime.

Try to find a small hill, a cut-in driveway is the best and forget the ramps. It's much safer that way. As far as tethering it, it should have some sort of grab handles in back and in front get just behind the grips. Tether to the floor mounted hooks and don't cinch it too tight. Just enough to compress the suspension but by no means loose. Should be fine. I've done it a million times. Use the hill trick. Works every time.

If the truck didn't sit so high, i would say your technique would work, but i feel it sits too high for a hill, let alone a cut in. Let me see if i can find a pic.

Not the same model, (rumble bee) but this is how high it sits.

29653460001_large.jpg

Here is a stock pic of the bike i found on the net too.

Honda%20VF750C%2082%20%203.jpg

It's fine. The kind of hill I'm talking about is the kind of ridge found around banks and other places. It's just landscaping. It's short and steep. As tall as your bed. You might only need a board to cover about a foot or so. The best is a cut-in drive. There's always something nearby. The ramp deal is great for dirtbikes but they're very steep and you have to zip it right up. If you stop or lose it, it's a long way down and I guarantee you the bike will land right on top of you. If you get to the top and the bottom of the bike hangs up on the sharp angle from the ramp to the bed, you're done. Again, dirtbikes only (IMHO). It's great you have someone to help you. I did mine alone and once in the middle of the night. Not fun. Needed a shower after. When you make that little trip across the board and you're wondering if the back tire is lined up because if you have to put your foot down there's nothing there, and if it's off, you're fucked. Good times.

Edited by hue jass

Those are fun bikes, my buddy has a V65 and a V45. Ass loads of power from that V4 engine....

I have a ramp, hand made by myself, out of quality wood... I purpose built it to load motorcycles into a Ford F150 crew cab and it is plenty stout. Don't know how much higher your bed is than the Ford, but if you are desperate you can use it.

I'm on the south end as well, so closer to you. Also, ratchet straps work great as long as you strap front and rear well and use the ratchets to load the suspension way down. I have transported a few bikes this way in truck beds. I will warn you that getting the bike back down the ramp made my asshole pucker a bit, though I got it all by myself with no damage to me, the bike, or my dad's truck....

Ive hauled a few including that bike. I have an 83 V45, its great! Put two straps on the front and you will be good, one on each leg of the front end. If you cant find ramps go pick yourself up some lumber and ride it up.

Reminds me of picking up my bike a few months ago. One of us would've rode it home, but I had no MC license, or even temp permit, and it was about 30 degrees out, for about a 25 mile ride! The 2 of us and the guy that sold the bike to me loaded into the bed of the truck off the street, no ramp or anything! Truck is a Chevy 2500 HD, with 3 inches of lift! Unoading was a breeze! We backed up to a small embankent and rolled it off, then right down the bank!

Lucky twit.... gettn your ride before I get mine done. The mound/hill/embankment trick is a good idea and saves that large incline into the bed. like several said, strap one on each side of the forks in front and run it done on the suspesion. throw at least one strap on the back.... but best to do two to pulling against each other to keep the rear centered. KEEP A EYE ON ALL STRAPS ON THE RETURN TRIP. if you leave to much play in the suspension the up/down motion will pull the straps loose. good luck......jerk lol

I live about 30 miles from there, and have ramps you could use to load, but I don't think you'd wanna haul them all the way back down here (near Kings Island) to return them. I could probably meet you to help you load it if you want though.

Those are fun bikes' date=' my buddy has a V65 and a V45. Ass loads of power from that V4 engine....

I have a ramp, hand made by myself, out of quality wood... I purpose built it to load motorcycles into a Ford F150 crew cab and it is plenty stout. Don't know how much higher your bed is than the Ford, but if you are desperate you can use it.

I'm on the south end as well, so closer to you. Also, ratchet straps work great as long as you strap front and rear well and use the ratchets to load the suspension way down. I have transported a few bikes this way in truck beds. I will warn you that getting the bike back down the ramp made my asshole pucker a bit, though I got it all by myself with no damage to me, the bike, or my dad's truck....[/quote']

I live about 30 miles from there, and have ramps you could use to load, but I don't think you'd wanna haul them all the way back down here (near Kings Island) to return them. I could probably meet you to help you load it if you want though.

Pm sent to both. Ziggy has offered to go with me, and let me use his. I just don't want to waste anyone's time. Totally up to you guys. I appreciate both offers. I guess now, it's figuring out who's closer.

Thanks.

A 82 Honda Magna v45.

Out in the middle of bung fuck Egypt lol. There is literally a sign you pass....that says something Egypt. Technically, it's in Leesburg Ohio.

I've been through that town, not much there. Watch out for leo's, they like to camp out on 28.

I will go with you if I can smack the ass in your avatar! :banana:

She's kinda bitchy....like Mj. Up to you if you want to deal with her. Jk mj! :p

Lucky twit.... gettn your ride before I get mine done. The mound/hill/embankment trick is a good idea and saves that large incline into the bed. like several said, strap one on each side of the forks in front and run it done on the suspesion. throw at least one strap on the back.... but best to do two to pulling against each other to keep the rear centered. KEEP A EYE ON ALL STRAPS ON THE RETURN TRIP. if you leave to much play in the suspension the up/down motion will pull the straps loose. good luck......jerk lol

Haha. Thanks for advice. How's yours coming along?

Just looked up directions to Leesburg, Ohio on Google Maps... About 45 miles and over an hour from my house... I can still help you load it, but getting my ramps there will be a problem. I don't have a truck, and my bike is my only transportation right now. I *might* be able to get them in my wife's car as long as she doesn't need it Friday night.

The hill thing is great & works well. Tie in as described by the others.

Nightrider, glad to hear your gettin a long awaited bike. Welcome back to the wonderful world of 2 wheels. Let me know when ya wanna ride.

Have Moose ride it home in his shorts and flip flops

lol. Good idea. Squidbilly Moose is on call right? :D

The hill thing is great & works well. Tie in as described by the others.

Nightrider, glad to hear your gettin a long awaited bike. Welcome back to the wonderful world of 2 wheels. Let me know when ya wanna ride.

Thanks man i appreciate it. Definitely will!