Lurch, FI light, oil light = died

KhaoticRebel

Ok, so I filled up before making a 100 mile highway trip home. I noticed in some slow stop and go traffic that it was seriously chugging. This was very unusual. At this point none of the lights came on or anything. I make it all the way to my exit and as I'm slowing down the oil light comes on and the bike conks out. It starts back up and off I go. The oil light stays on for a 1/4 mile and goes away. I ride for another 5-7 miles no problem. I pull into my apt complex and it starts lurching hardcore. I passed too guys who probably thought I was a total noob because it was lurching so bad. The oil light came on and the FI blinked. It died again right after that and I was able to coast down the hill into my garage thankfully. The oil was changed at the start of the season, there's still plenty of oil in the little window, and I haven't passed 2500 miles this season. Anyway, could this just be bad gas? Help a gal out, I'll be very appreciative.

get the FI light code. this should apply to all 600rr.

From 600rr.net:

There's a "test plug that you need to ground, and count the flashes of the FI light. The plug is under the seat, right side of the bike, near the ECM , at the right rear of the battery. There are 2 wires to the plug (brown and green), and you need to jump them, then turn the key "on", with the kill switch on "run", sidestand down.

According to my manual (2003/2004):

A long blink = "10"

A short blink = "1"

DNS = Engine does not start

EON = Engine operates normally

And I quote (i.e. don't shoot the messenger):

BLINKS : PROBLEM, SYMPTOMS

No blinks: ECM malfunction, DNS

No blinks: ECM power / ground circuit malfunction, DNS

No blinks: ECM output line malfunction, DNS

No blinks: MIL circuit malfunction, EON

Stays lit: Data link circuit malfunction, EON

1 blink: MAP sensor circuit malfunction, EON

2 blinks: MAP sensor performance problem, EON

7 blinks: ECT sensor circuit malfunction, Hard start at low temp

8 blinks: TP sensor circuit malfunction, Poor performance on quick throttle operation

9 blinks: IAT sensor circuit malfunction, EON

11 blinks: Vehicle speed sensor circuit malfunction, EON

12 blinks: No. 1 Primary injector malfunction, DNS

13 blinks: No. 2 Primary injector malfunction, DNS

14 blinks: No. 3 Primary injector malfunction, DNS

15 blinks: No. 4 Primary injector malfunction, DNS

16 blinks: No. 1 Secondary injector malfunction, DNS

17 blinks: No. 2 Secondary injector malfunction, DNS

18 blinks: Cam pulse generator, no signal, DNS

19 blinks: Ignition pulse generator, no signal, DNS

21 blinks: No. 1 O2 sensor circuit malfunction (California only) , EON

22 blinks: No. 2 O2 sensor circuit malfunction (California only), EON

23 blinks: No. 1 O2 sensor heater malfunction (California only), EON

24 blinks: No. 2 O2 sensor heater malfunction (California only), EON

33 blinks: E2-PROM in ECM malfunction, EON

48 blinks: No. 3 Secondary injector malfunction, DNS

49 blinks: No. 4 Secondary injector malfunction , DNS

Ok, so I filled up before making a 100 mile highway trip home. I noticed in some slow stop and go traffic that it was seriously chugging. This was very unusual. At this point none of the lights came on or anything. I make it all the way to my exit and as I'm slowing down the oil light comes on and the bike conks out. It starts back up and off I go. The oil light stays on for a 1/4 mile and goes away. I ride for another 5-7 miles no problem. I pull into my apt complex and it starts lurching hardcore. I passed too guys who probably thought I was a total noob because it was lurching so bad. The oil light came on and the FI blinked. It died again right after that and I was able to coast down the hill into my garage thankfully. The oil was changed at the start of the season, there's still plenty of oil in the little window, and I haven't passed 2500 miles this season. Anyway, could this just be bad gas? Help a gal out, I'll be very appreciative.

lol. That was you...? Did they make any faces, or say anything? Also...the appreciativeness....what are we talking about here? :p

Jesus Jones. Sounds complicated. I'll provide some Yeungling to whoever wants to check this out for me. LOL.

Mmmm beer...and....? :tits:jk.

In all seriousness. I hope you get this taken care of. I'm sure someone here can help you out with it. Good luck.

:tits:jk.

LOL, not exactly busty, so not sure how much you'd get outta that. No, we won't test it to find out either. :D

not hard at all. take your seat off, jump the connector, count the flashes. but im a yeungling whore and live near by so....

Yeah you do live super close. Seriously, whenever you get some free time, would you be willing to swing by and check out the situation?

hey sorry I couldn't be more help but no FI light and no oil light, I can't do much! :D But at least now you know how to do it if it comes back on. Let me know how many times the FI light blinks, following the chart above (ie 1 long blink means 10 and one short blink means 1) and whatever it is, short of a new engine, we can do it. Tell Scrappy to get her fairing off or I can bring appropriate tools sometime so we can have a better look but from what I saw, just needs a new hose and clamp.

Interested to find out what the problem turns out to be.

Me too. Had a similar thing happen a few bikes ago. Ended up being bad gas. The gas had water in it, which left residue in the carbs. Happened twice from the same gas station.

What is it with all this bad gas? I had the same issue with the 'busa when I got some gas at East Liberty a few weeks back.

Did you put high test, or 87 in it?

At least bad gas in a fuel injected bike means dump the gas, put some fresh in and you're fine. Carbed bikes not so much. Water seriously fucks with carbs.

There's a gas station in Hilliard that has been fined several times for watering down their fuel. It's ridiculous.

There's a gas station in Hilliard that has been fined several times for watering down their fuel. It's ridiculous.

how does that work?

water and gasoline don't exactly mix...

do they have "blenders" in their tanks?

how does that work?

water and gasoline don't exactly mix...

do they have "blenders" in their tanks?

No idea, but I've gotten water in gas three times. Twice from one station and once from another. It leaves calcium deposits in the float bowls.