yup yup. Im on owner.

OhioMarine

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who knew, the searching is done. I went for a settled deal on a 99 CBR. Clean as can be, runs amazing. Couldn't ask anything more of it.. Until I see the following comments. :p

Congrats man. A few suggestions I've picked up:

1: Change all the fluids. I don't care if they just changed the oil, change it again anyway. This way you are completely even keel with fluid maintenance, and you won't go 2 week riding it and suddenly the radiator busts because there's no coolant.

2: Change all the brake pads. For motorcycles, this is a 30 minute job. I just found out today when I changed my pads that the front brakes that were supposedly "just done" had the wrong pads, and they didn't fit the rotor. Again, even keel with pads. You should have already changed the fluid, right?

3: If the tires need it, change them too. Their riding style might differ greatly from yours, and if they like to go in a straight line that means the tire has some majorly uneven wear patterns. This is especially important for someone starting out, as it will be harder to get comfortable leaning into turns with bad tires.

If it needs work, make a priority list AND STICK TO IT. If you are anything like me once you have that thing apart you'll want to work on and upgrade everything in the world. Change only what you need to to get 1 or 2 done, then work on the rest after you've had some quality riding time.

Most of all, ride that sumbitch! Get yourself on 600rr.net and don't be afraid to search first and ask questions later.

Congrats man. A few suggestions I've picked up:

1: Change all the fluids. I don't care if they just changed the oil, change it again anyway. This way you are completely even keel with fluid maintenance, and you won't go 2 week riding it and suddenly the radiator busts because there's no coolant.

2: Change all the brake pads. For motorcycles, this is a 30 minute job. I just found out today when I changed my pads that the front brakes that were supposedly "just done" had the wrong pads, and they didn't fit the rotor. Again, even keel with pads. You should have already changed the fluid, right?

3: If the tires need it, change them too. Their riding style might differ greatly from yours, and if they like to go in a straight line that means the tire has some majorly uneven wear patterns. This is especially important for someone starting out, as it will be harder to get comfortable leaning into turns with bad tires.

If it needs work, make a priority list AND STICK TO IT. If you are anything like me once you have that thing apart you'll want to work on and upgrade everything in the world. Change only what you need to to get 1 or 2 done, then work on the rest after you've had some quality riding time.

Most of all, ride that sumbitch! Get yourself on 600rr.net and don't be afraid to search first and ask questions later.

I like that advice. Thank you. :plus1:

If i can get ahold of the guy, ill pass it on. We were talking through email, and I havent heard from him in 4 days..

congrats man! forward that on to me if you hear from him so I can get more details on it!

I like that advice. Thank you. :plus1:

No worries at all. If you need some help with the brakes, I just picked up a brake bleeder wrench and can have those bad boys done in a hour or less. Not having that wrench was a real pain in the ass.