is there a such thing

rick37

just curious about your opinion, Is there a such thing as to loud of exhaust.

I just got a set of samson classic exhaust for my 02 shadow and noticed that either the baffles was removed or something, but anyhow after I put them on they are extremely loud which I love after almost being ran over on 71, But the wife says they are to loud for her so I did order some baffles for them.

I am trying my best to make it to the meet up on the 9th and you can hear for yourself.

A couple of times this week, I noticed cruisers with pipes that made ears hurt. That would be too loud. It will cause permanent damage to hearing. Made worse, of course, by annoying revving while sitting still and not moving in a parking lot full of people. I think that is called assault....

wut wut wut I can't hear you...

Loud and brash gets a little old

I have slip on mufflers made by bub..louder than stock...but not tinny or have that earsplitting crackle..these are deep and have a nice rumble..I like these better than the V&H (video before I put the sony stereo in)

deeper..but not louder than the sportbike guys from work I rode to Hocking Hills with..the VTX 1800 that went also was way louder than mine..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIVENxo6oDk

Just trying' to help..flame away if you must...lol

John

just curious about your opinion, Is there a such thing as to loud of exhaust.

I just got a set of samson classic exhaust for my 02 shadow and noticed that either the baffles was removed or something, but anyhow after I put them on they are extremely loud which I love after almost being ran over on 71, But the wife says they are to loud for her so I did order some baffles for them.

I am trying my best to make it to the meet up on the 9th and you can hear for yourself.

yes there is. "few other factors contribute more to misunderstanding and prejudice against the motorcycling community than excessively noisy motorcycles"

also "loud pipes save lives" is bollocks.

its, technically, possible to get a ticket for too loud of an exhaust. but the biggest thing for me is how annoying it is. i'm just returning from a trip out west and the worst part was walking through these quaint little rocky mountain towns then hearing a group of asshats (sport and cruiser) roll thourgh waking the dead (i may just be pissed that i didint see a moose and am blaming anything i can think of). anyway, i used to be sort of into it, but now its just really nice to have a peaceful ride without disturbing my surroundings. also, i've had and ridden bikes with both stock and aftermarket exhaust on the track and would prefer the stock. you can actually hear whats going on around you.

just my $1/50...:)

I don't think that there is such a thing as pipes that are too loud! They can and will help to save lives! I recently bought Cobra Splashdowns for my Boulevard. Because of that same issue, of people coming into my lane. And wanting to be heard, as well as seen. I was very pleased with that purchase. They were supposed to be louder, But instead they were OFFENSIVELY loud! Which is GREAT!!!! Very happy to have spent that money on that upgrade.

Well from an off road and dual sport point of view having your pipes too loud is reason to be kicked out on an event.

Hearing an improperly muffled bike is like hearing those tunner cars that sound like a lawn mower on steroids, it's just annoying.

Supporters of the idea seemed to consist for the most part of folks that either sold (loud) aftermarket pipes, or folks who road bikes with loud(er) aftermarket pipes. Yet these same folks could not provide any hard facts to back up their claim, the best they could come up with were rather vague statements about how if they make lots of noise "(car drivers) are sure as heck gonna hear me!" or claims that loud pipes give the other motorists ample warning of the approaching biker as they cruise up from behind. These statements seem to presuppose several assumptions that; 1) the other driver is not only going to hear the biker, but take the time to identify their actual location, 2) drivers in general rely on sound as much as vision to locate and avoid obstacles (in this case the motorcyclist), 3) the other driver gives enough of a damn about motorcyclists in the first place to do (1) and (2) above, and 4) that sounds emanating from a motorcycle's exhaust travel equally in all directions from the source.These seem, to me, to be a rather risky set of suppositions with little, if any, basis in fact. It is well documented that vision plays a much bigger role in operator safety than sound. Think about the last time you heard a siren, were you able to identify the location of the approaching vehicle by the sound alone or did you not in fact have to wait to make visual contact with it before you could precisely identify its location relative to you? Do proponents of loud pipes really believe that other motorists are going to concentrate on locating the approaching motorcycle and keep it in view till it is well past them and out of harms way? Where is the evidence to support such a claim?

from a google search "loud pipes save lives"

no back pressure=downgrade.

word, I put the jardine motogp exhaust on my r6 and its just a slip-on past the cat. Yamaha has an EXUP valve on their factory exhausts that open and close based on rpm's/mph to give you the right amount of backpressure. I notice just a lil loss of power with my new exhaust (no baffle and had to d/c exup cable) on low speeds but it is better on high end.

I don't think that there is such a thing as pipes that are too loud! They can and will help to save lives! I recently bought Cobra Splashdowns for my Boulevard. Because of that same issue, of people coming into my lane. And wanting to be heard, as well as seen. I was very pleased with that purchase. They were supposed to be louder, But instead they were OFFENSIVELY loud! Which is GREAT!!!! Very happy to have spent that money on that upgrade.

Sorry, but this is absolute bullshit. This is the attitude and poor thinking that continues to perpetuate the stereotypes against motorcyclists. It is your responsibility as a motorcyclist to put yourself in proper lane position/position of visibility. God I hope you're kidding, but if not, people like you are fucking it up for the rest of us.

Sorry, but this is absolute bullshit. This is the attitude and poor thinking that continues to perpetuate the stereotypes against motorcyclists. It is your responsibility as a motorcyclist to put yourself in proper lane position/position of visibility. God I hope you're kidding, but if not, people like you are fucking it up for the rest of us.

When I was almost ran over on 71 I made my self known that I was in the lane beside the f***in idiot by blowing my horn and not just a quick beep,I laid on it and the retard kept coming over on me. So to me you should never assume that some one sees you therefor loud pipes can be a asset, Which brought this question up and its pretty much a matter of taste.

When I was almost ran over on 71 I made my self known that I was in the lane beside the f***in idiot by blowing my horn and not just a quick beep,I laid on it and the retard kept coming over on me. So to me you should never assume that some one sees you therefor loud pipes can be a asset, Which brought this question up and its pretty much a matter of taste.

i know you can't hear my horn once im over 40 mph, so there is no point.