Need Advice on my Dead Bike

viking_rider

Used is ok. But I wouldn't want to go used for a regulator.

I buy stuff new from cheapcycleparts.com

Your RR is $138.39 there.

Any discount price for new, that is close to that is good.

You did good tracing the fault.

Edited by ReconRat

Rice Paddy worked out awesome. Great staff and I got a pretty good price (compared to Iron Pony) and it was in stock and new. Very happy with them and will probably look to them in the future for some parts if needed.

As I'm still new at this, I wanted to run by what I've found so far to make sure there is nothing I'm missing.

I installed the new RR and there is no more leaking from the main fuse which is good. Keep in mind, I got a new battery and something weird about it is that it's fully charged, resting state voltage is around 13 - 13.5 volts which is pretty high is it not? It stays this way when the bike is started at idle but when I roll the throttle, the voltage goes down to about 12.5 - 12.6 volts and remains there. When I let off the throttle, it goes back up to the 13 range. My manuals says that when I check the connection to the stator, it should read between like .32 and .4 something Ohms. It does read at .6 but then again my meter sensitivity is at something like 200 Ohms and doesn't go any lower so perhaps that is a problem too. Is .6 considered high? It is the same between the white wires of 1 and 2, and 1 and 3.

I just don't want to go out on the bike again and get stranded.

Everyone has been great so thanks for the advice here. At least I feel like I'm learning a lot! :)

Can you trouble shoot your bike and still stay close to home? Try riding around a loop close to you house for a while, let the bike warm up, and re-check everything. Pay close attention to the condition of the wires that melted before, check your resistances, and take your time.

When you hit the gas you are putting a load on the battery and reducing the voltage. That is pretty normal. The stator output should go up and your lights should brighten up a little bit.

If the book says you are supposed to be at 0.4 Ohms max, and you are at 0.6 Ohms, that is 30% high. Can you go somewhere local with your voltmeter and check another new unit for comparison to the one you installed?

Just a few thoughts...

• 3 years later...

Only two miles from home and you needed a tow? My Virago quit two miles from home and I pushed the damn thing back. Turned out the idiots I bought it from had unhooked the wire from the generator to the battery and it was just dead. Charged her up and she's been strong since.

Might wanna check dates. This is 3.5 years old...

Indeed...

And for the record, a fresh charged good battery will show ~14.5

After about an hour it will show ~13.5

Anything above ~12.5 is good.

Charging circuits generally put out ~14.5

Gauges showing between ~12.5 and ~14.5 while riding is good