Roundabouts.... careful, careful...

SWing'R

Almost bit it tonight in a roundabout because my concentration was disrupted

by traffic entering the roundabout to my left and traffic approaching from my right.

My concentration/technique was thrown off because I looked at the car that just

rolled up to the roundabout to my right instead of "looking thru" my turn then when

I looked back where I was going all I saw was the corner/curb and was going right

for it and did not have enough lean to make it, to be honest with you I'm not sure

why I didn't crash, I think I let off on the gas and somehow made the turn.

I went thru three more after that before making it home, there was no traffic at any of

them and I went thru them flawlessly at probably twice the speed at which I almost bit in the first one!

My lesson, "roundabouts = slow go" when there is traffic present and "look thru the curve"!

Round about are new to columbus. Not only are they a challenge to navigate but they present a challenge to the cages also.

Watch out for the cars and trucks. they cannot see you. They turn from the wrong lanes and turn into the wrong lanes.

Round about are new to columbus. Not only are they a challenge to navigate but they present a challenge to the cages also.

Watch out for the cars and trucks. they cannot see you. They turn from the wrong lanes and turn into the wrong lanes.

In my opinion, the roundabouts they have built in Dublin and Hilliard are designed horribly. I think they should be twice as big in diameter and only a single wide lane instead of two lanes. The two lanes and tons of signs and arrows does nothing but confuse people!

A single wide lane with two signs, a one-way sign showing the direction of travel and a "yield to traffic in the circle" sign, thats all they need.

Plus what idiot decided to put so many damn arrows and markings on the ground, obviously not someone that ever rode a motorcycle! That shit is slippery!

roundabouts are actually statistically safer... in the UK and germany in smaller towns thats all they use.. but in the bigger cities.. and in places that aren't used to them or by people that dont understand them.. they are a nightmare

Yeah but over in Europe and across the world Cagers actually pay attention to driving and what they are doing... Here most are just Clueless airheads (male/female) behind the wheel.

I love the roundabouts but hate being around others at them cause you can just tell they are baffled by the pretty signs and can't figure out what to do next.

Yeah but over in Europe and across the world Cagers actually pay attention to driving and what they are doing... Here most are just Clueless airheads (male/female) behind the wheel.

I love the roundabouts but hate being around others at them cause you can just tell they are baffled by the pretty signs and can't figure out what to do next.

oh i know ive spent a lot of time over seas and the drivers/and drivers ED for most other countries is so much better than over here

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with any of the roundabouts I've been through, I can EASILY figure out how traffic is suppose to flow through them too. But when you add a bunch of fucktards and punk ass kids driving their mustands, you get problems. I was nearly ran off the edge of the one on hayden rd by a clueless kid; one week later I was taken out by a SUV in the same roundabout :nono:

oh i know ive spent a lot of time over seas and the drivers/and drivers ED for most other countries is so much better than over here

Yeah the week I spent in South Africa I was amazed at how well everyone drove.

And from talking to people in Europe whoe come over here they are shocked at how bad Americans drive.

Glad you're okay. Which round-a-bouts were you at?

The one I almost bit it on was at BRANDONWAY & DUBLIN roads just North of Emerald Parkway in Dublin,

the other ones I go thru on a pretty regular basis are on Britton Parkway in Dublin/Hilliard cause I live in the area.

Welcome to the world of target fixation. Have a nice time. :D

The target fixation was secondary, if I'd never broke my line of sight by looking at the car to my right I'd have been fine,

the car came up fast and spooked me, I thought it was gonna pull right into the circle and cut me off, so when I looked right

instead of where I was going is when I got screwed up, then I fixated on the curb ahead of me when I looked back.

The target fixation was secondary' date=' if I'd never broke my line of sight by looking at the car to my right I'd have been fine,

the car came up fast and spooked me, I thought it was gonna pull right into the circle and cut me off, so when I looked right

instead of where I was going is when I got screwed up, then I fixated on the curb ahead of me when I looked back.[/quote']

That's your target fixation right there. You looked at him which caused you to go in that direction. I don't blame you, I'd probably do it too if someone was coming up fast and I thought they might hit me. But yes, you fixated on the car when you looked and it changed your course.

I was born in England and learned to drive there. Roundabouts are just a part of driving just like yield signs or traffic lights. They make for very fluent driving.

Introducing them to a population that didn't learn about them in driver's ed? Troublesome to say the least. They need to get the word out better.

• 4 weeks later...

roundabouts are great in cars, bikes and they keep the flow of traffix moving well.

I m in Dublin so there s a slew of them on Britton Parkway between Tuttle Crossing blvd and Cemetery rd.

I see drivers change lanes inside them and almost had one guy ram my car in MY LANE while i was going by him on the inside lane

In my opinion' date=' the roundabouts they have built in Dublin and Hilliard are designed horribly. [/quote']

Agreed. The small ones on Avery near Rings and Perimeter loop are tiny. I run through there all the time and am constantly either outrunning traffic to not get run the fu*k over or getting out of the way all together.

I just make sure no one is directly beside me, nail the gas, and lean into it :D