Updated Motorcycle Oil Study

Modern Synthetics

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only issue, and it's a big one for me, is the fact that AMSOIL did/paid for the study.

I'd much prefer a neutral 3rd party without a dog in the fight to report the results.

Edit: I will say I've never used Amsoil, so I can't attest to how it performs in the motorcycle or automobile. My truck gets whatever, but my bikes run Mobil 1 Racing 4T (Hayabusa) and the Mobil 1 VTwin (SV) fully synthetic. Which are #2 in the studies... I have no real complaints other than the clutch is sticky when I get them out from winter storage. I used to use Mobil 1 or Valvoline Full Syth automobile oil without any clutch issues (Slippage) in the old Hurricane, so I'm not even convinced I need motorcycle specific oil, but I run it anyway on the newer bikes.

Edited by JRMMiii

amsoil is waay overpriced and hyped up...i will stick to my rotella t syn for 18 a jug..funny how great amsoil is, since they did the test..not buying it

Did you even look at the study? The test was conducted by an independent laboratory, not Amsoil. Amsoil is not over priced for what you are getting. If Amsoil was just trying to hype their oil they would have just eliminated the few categories where they didn't finish first from the results. In order to convey the truth they left those results in the study for all to see. I sure haven't seen Rotella or any of the other oil companies put out a comprehensive study comparing their oil to Amsoil. Hmmmm. I Wonder Why?

Did you even look at the study? The test was conducted by an independent laboratory, not Amsoil. Amsoil is not over priced for what you are getting. If Amsoil was just trying to hype their oil they would have just eliminated the few categories where they didn't finish first from the results. In order to convey the truth they left those results in the study for all to see. I sure haven't seen Rotella or any of the other oil companies put out a comprehensive study comparing their oil to Amsoil. Hmmmm. I Wonder Why?

im sure amsoil paid for the study and money steers results. im not gonna continue to fight about oils, but i will say that many many people run rotella including myself with zero problems. good luck with the sales

Not to threadcrap on you, but it's difficult to believe claims of impartial laboratory tests ranking amsoil high, coming from a study that amsoil funded and posted by a licensed amsoil rep.

That's like hearing news from health studies involving smoking sponsored by Phillip-Morris.

im sure amsoil paid for the study and money steers results. im not gonna continue to fight about oils, but i will say that many many people run rotella including myself with zero problems. good luck with the sales

I understand your skepticism since Amsoil did fund the study. I also agree that many other oils such as Rotella will do a fair job of lubricating parts. I guess I am partial to Amsoil because I used Amsoil products in my personal vehicles and equipment for over 8 years with outstanding results before I decided to become a dealer. If I did not believe in Amsoil products I would not sell them. The extended drain intervals that I get with Amsoil are also a bonus. Many Amsoil customers also tell me how much quieter and cooler their bikes run. That is why I believe the results in the studies are actual and not paid for.

A friend of mine in Toledo also uses Rotella in his personal motorcycles and has not had any lubrication related issues with his bikes. He changes his oil all the time, probably every thousand miles or less and he does not want to spend the additional money for Amsoil.

I understand your position and respect your opinion. Not saying other oils won't work, I just like to have the best protection available along with the convenience of extended drain intervals for the slight increase in price.

Take Care

I personally do not doubt it is a good if not superior oil. Though I understand doubts revolving around who funded the study, that in itself, would not dissuade me. Nearly every product on the market making claims against their competitors does so with data funded by or performed within their own labs. ( I was a research Chemist for 18 years and have 17 US Patents).

Generally any product that resorts to independent dealers for their sales over, say an automotive franchise etc. charges more simply due to the method of distribution.

The Amway approach, for example, adds several levels of "profit". To hold the price within reason they resort to lower levels of quality and rely on their reps to hype the products back up to the quality of their competition, which is usually priced significantly lower.

My question- How much is Amsoil?

According to the study, it's $0.30/oz when purchased by the case, vs. $0.34/oz of Mobil 1.

This may be a dick thing to say, but it's worth the extra $0.04/oz for me not to go through all the rigmarole to get Amsoil when I can go to my local Advanced Auto or Autozone and get Mobil 1 whenever I need it. I'll save more in gas and shipping to get the, inferior to Amsoil, Mobil 1 product.

According to the study, it's $0.30/oz when purchased by the case, vs. $0.34/oz of Mobil 1.

This may be a dick thing to say, but it's worth the extra $0.04/oz for me not to go through all the rigmarole to get Amsoil when I can go to my local Advanced Auto or Autozone and get Mobil 1 whenever I need it. I'll save more in gas and shipping to get the, inferior to Amsoil, Mobil 1 product.

Depending on the frequency of your oil changes most of the comparisons may not be realistic. Like you I tend to weigh in the conveninece factor given the frequency of my oil changes.

I intended to run some of these tests myself out of curiosity but never got the time.

argh.... JASO is the current motorcycle oil standard, ever since automotive oils started using additives that may or may not harm motorcycle engines and clutches. Most motorcycle oils have been tested and certified per the JASO standards, and some have not. Most automotive oils are not certified as JASO oils, why would they be? Nor would many of them pass, they are automotive oils.

So basically:

1. It's oil, if what you use now works... great

2. If not, consider using a JASO certified oil

I am going to have to chime in here! I love amsoil and there is no question about it. The only other type of oil I can compare it to is mobile 4t. Which I had no issues with whatsoever either. But since you guys sponsor the board I will have no issues going out of my way to get the stuff! Thanks for the support and making my engine running great!

If you want a independent oil analysis this is the company I use

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/motorcycle.html

I have all of my motorcycles tested at least once annually. What do I use? Mobil1 15W-50 ( car variety in the 5qt jug from WalMart) and I do have a 1979 Yamaha XS1100 with 217,000 miles currently with zero issues. Golden Spectro would be my 2nd choice and I would not run Amsoil or a Fram oil filter in my lawn mower.

I got a gallon from the pony before I left for niagara falls and used a K&n oil filter, after 1200 miles the oil is still pretty clear, before I used a full synthetic I think it was a 4T don't remember the brand, but anyway I change mine at 3 grand whether it needs it or not, and you'd think a full syn, would last well it didn't it was HIT... so I decided to try the amsoil, and I gotta say so far I'm impressed... the bike does run smoother and cooler, and I tend to ride it a bit harder then the typical cruiser guy.... just saying... don't slam amsoil til you try it....