wtf chain slack

cclay

...tire was bald

...pulled it off

...bought new tire

...put tire back on

...axel is pulled back as far as it can go

...tension bolts tight

...chain is correctly attached to both sprockets(front/rear)

chain slack is about 3 inches!!!!:confused:

WTF did i do wrong?:mad:

it was fine before but now it is way too loose. could the front sprocket have adjusted somehow?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...tire was bald

...pulled it off

...bought new tire

...put tire back on

...axel is pulled back as far as it can go

...tension bolts tight

...chain is correctly attached to both sprockets(front/rear)

chain slack is about 3 inches!!!!:confused:

WTF did i do wrong?:mad:

it was fine before but now it is way too loose. could the front sprocket have adjusted somehow?

You checking while in neutral?

Have you adjusted suspension recently?

Was it loose before you changed tire?

I was gonna say turn the rear wheel GENTLY. oops... I'd just get it over with and take the front sprocket cover off and look. It's not like I haven't knocked the chain off the front sprocket before.

Oddly, one of my bikes would tighten the chain more, when I tightened the axle. That made it fun to guess how much slack to leave before torquing the axle.

The only other guess, is that his rear sprocket was larger, and the rear rim got swapped by accident with another identical rim that had a stock sprocket. Odds of that?...

edit: and somewhere some other guy is wondering why his chain is way shorter...

Edited by ReconRat

went to get new nut for tension bolt...

didnt adjust the suspension but i did use a car jack to lift it and put jack stands on the swing are to hold up. could lifting it by the suspension piece adjust the suspension?

chain is definitely on the front sprocket, checked 3 times.

it was fine before i changed the tire, rode it everyday to work.

didnt adjust the suspension but i did use a car jack to lift it and put jack stands on the swing are to hold up. could lifting it by the suspension piece adjust the suspension?

I'll let an experienced mechanic answer the questions, but wheel chocks use the rear swing arm, so I wouldn't think that's an issue.

Are you sure there wasn't a lot of slack in it before you changed the tire and you just hadn't noticed beforehand, but after the new tire and attempting to adjust the chain you have found this issue?

If the chain is on both sprockets, the chain didn't magically stretch while the back tire was off.

chain had popped before on me but after i tightened it the slack wasnt anywhere near as much as it is now. could be possible as i didnt check the slack just tightened it, i def woulda noticed a 3 to 4 in slack tho.

chain had popped before on me but after i tightened it the slack wasnt anywhere near as much as it is now. could be possible as i didnt check the slack just tightened it, i def woulda noticed a 3 to 4 in slack tho.

Tru dat, your girl/mother/significant other surely noticed the additional 4 inches... za-zing.

Sorry, late night, anyway, hope you get this figured out, maybe post a picture or 2, maybe you're missing something easy someone can spot.

Just curious how many mile do you think are on the chain? Wouldn't 3-4" of slack just slip right off the rear sprocket by hand? I was sitting outside looking at my bike thinking about it and that's an insane amount of slack. Could it be possible you had to many links off the bat?

lol... tiz enough slack to slip off the sprocket. I dont kno how it got like that. i imagine the chain has stretched a bit and its got many miles on it. but it was cool 3 days ago... im pretty fed up with it, takin pics tomorrow and posting. need some seasoned eyes to look at it

probably end up taking links off but def need someone to look at it and become as dumbstruck as i have.

speaking of girlfriend, duty calls... preciate the opinions fellas

my bike does that pisses me off everytime :mad:

Kaws and Suzuki seem to be bad for doing this.....Tightening up as you torque down the axle nut.

Dude....Its a chain....If its on both sprockets...and you've adjusted it as far as it will go....Its time for a new chain....or a smaller one.

I would have to say you just didn't notice it was like this.

Its been said already....It didnt magically get longer during your tire swap.

lol... tiz enough slack to slip off the sprocket. I dont kno how it got like that. i imagine the chain has stretched a bit and its got many miles on it. but it was cool 3 days ago... im pretty fed up with it, takin pics tomorrow and posting. need some seasoned eyes to look at it

probably end up taking links off but def need someone to look at it and become as dumbstruck as i have.

If the chain has stretched enough that you could take out links and have it fit again, DO NOT do so! Once a chain has stretched very much, it will stretch much more VERY quickly, and unpredictably. It would be dangerous to run it anymore.

I was gonna say turn the rear wheel GENTLY. oops... I'd just get it over with and take the front sprocket cover off and look. It's not like I haven't knocked the chain off the front sprocket before.

Oddly, one of my bikes would tighten the chain more, when I tightened the axle. That made it fun to guess how much slack to leave before torquing the axle.

Ditto on mine, the guessing game

Yes' date=' I said "wear" and not "stretch".. another argument for another day, perhaps.

Get a new chain and sprocket kit. Is this for the Kat or the Suzi?[/quote']

We'll use stretch, since it ends up being longer, and is easier for people to understand! I'm pretty sure what you mean by wear vs. stretch even though I never really thought of it that way, but it makes sense.

Does that engine use rubber engine mounts? IF they were shot, the engine might have moved when lifted. That might have changed the sprocket to sprocket distance. A swingarm isn't able to change much for position, in any way that would effect the chain. If it did, the swingarm would be in deep trouble. You'd probably notice that. Although it is true, that as the swingarm pivots up and down, there will be more slack in the chain. But nothing like the amount that you are seeing.

Other than an engine moving, only the frame itself could have made a dimensional change. (Assuming the swingarm isn't mounted directly on the engine.) None of these ideas have much merit, it is more likely a simple answer somewhere. If the chain is on both sprockets, I'd look very closely at the chain adjustment parts around the rear axle. The only simple answer is that the rear axle is in the wrong position. I have trouble believing that the chain was worn out enough, to not have been noticed before the tire change.