wtf chain slack

cclay

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're a kind man' date=' Recon. Much kinder than I. That said, if the chain is in really bad condition there could be a substantial tension difference between one section vs. another at 180º opposite. So, the OP could have 'noticed' the chain tension at the tight end and never bothered to actually spin the rear wheel and check the tension at several sections. I'm leaning closer to that than anything else at this point. I think it's a simple case of oversight.. nothing more.[/quote']

yeah, ok. But a chain in that bad of shape, should be recognizable, like you say. But it would probably have to come off to see that clearly. It is true about the loose spots and tight spots.

I used to fold them over, doubled up, sideways, and see it both halves arched the same. Never did, chain was always shot if I was looking at it for wear.

Edited: The technical way to measure wear, is to measure a certain number of them pulled tight apart. Exceeding a certain amount by a percentage, is worn out. All the 520, 525, and 530 are 5/8" between pins. Somewhere there is a chart for that...

Edited by ReconRat
oops...

yeah, ok. But a chain in that bad of shape, should be recognizable, like you say. But it would probably have to come off to see that clearly. It is true about the loose spots and tight spots.

I used to fold them over, doubled up, sideways, and see it both halves arched the same. Never did, chain was always shot if I was looking at it for wear.

The technical way to measure wear, is to push the links together, and measure a certain number of them, and then pull them apart and measure again. Exceeding a certain amount, is worn out. Somewhere there is a chart for that...

I'm pretty sure my manual says count 21 pins (I would assume differently for other link count chains?) Then rotate 180 and check again. Wear out is 12 1/2". Wouldn't it be the same for all chain drives minus the pin count and the exact wear measurement? Wouldn't 3-4" basically be falling off the rear sprocket? I would absolutely be noticeable. Please inform me:confused:

Edited by Lost1888

I'm pretty sure my manual says count 21 pins (I would assume differently for other link count chains?) Then rotate 180 and check again. Wear out is 12 1/2". Wouldn't it be the same for all chain drives minus the pin count and the exact wear measurement? Wouldn't 3-4" basically be falling off the rear sprocket? I would absolutely be noticeable. Please inform me:confused:

I did go back and edit that measurement thing...

Yes, constant velocity chains go 2% over before worn. Motorcycles are probably closer to 1%. The GSXR1000 manual says "Count out 21 pins (20 pitches) on the chain and measure the distance between the two points. If the distance exceeds the service limit [319.4 mm/12.57"], the chain must be replaced." That would be 0.6% stretch.

That should work for all 5/8" links, the 520, 525, and 530. Smaller chains would have a different measurement to check with.

edit: YZF-R1 manual. It recommends the measuring of 10 pitches method but uses 5.91" as the service limit. This is a .96% stretch.

@ IP, I saw that website, that looks like a good explanation of how it's done.

Edited by ReconRat
moar

my bike does that pisses me off everytime :mad:

put a screw driver in the chain between the chain and the rear sproket.....rotate so it "tightens" the chain when you rotate wheel so its on the rear sproket under the chain, that tightens the axel up against the adjusters, check alignment of adjusters and tighten axel nut :)....all donr and even as long as the adjusters were even, or check to see if chain rides in center of links...

as for the origoinal magical chain shrinking, time for a new chain either way, or you have a larger sproket on there....

this doesn't sound right... I hope that everyone on two wheels would notice if their chain was about to fall off. Are you sure you put the axle assembly together correctly? Did you forget to put the rubber damper for the cush drive back in? Missing any washers or spacers? Did the chain slack adjusters get rotated in the swingarm?

this doesn't sound right... I hope that everyone on two wheels would notice if their chain was about to fall off. Are you sure you put the axle assembly together correctly? Did you forget to put the rubber damper for the cush drive back in? Missing any washers or spacers? Did the chain slack adjusters get rotated in the swingarm?

There's a thought. Good brainstorming wrillo.

put a screw driver in the chain between the chain and the rear sproket.....rotate so it "tightens" the chain when you rotate wheel so its on the rear sproket under the chain, that tightens the axel up against the adjusters, check alignment of adjusters and tighten axel nut :)....all donr and even as long as the adjusters were even, or check to see if chain rides in center of links...

as for the origoinal magical chain shrinking, time for a new chain either way, or you have a larger sproket on there....

Shame on you. :rulez: damnit.

Some guy on Svr bought a bike and didn't notice the swing arm like that. Not very observant.

The sprocket must have been someone who doesn't feel maintenance has any priority in riding a bike.

I'm eager to see the issues with cclay's bike. 3-4 inches of slack is incomprehensible imo. After the pics above being discussed this week I'm prepared to see anything.:wtf:

The sprocket isn't the issue. Someone didn't install the rear axle spacer and the sprocket carrier walked and worked its way through the swing arm. At least that's what it looks like.

I still won't take back the Gixxer comment.

No need to take it back. I know what your talking about.

Your right with axle spacer, I wonder if it was both the axle spacer and the spacer in the cush drive. It's hard to say. You can see a gap from the cush to the rim makes me curious. To not notice it was installed wrong and then to ride it for it to gouge the swinger like that is beyond me! Some people just need to leave their bikes alone. No matter how good their intentions are!

I would have to say the sprocket is just a case of neglect. But I'm a little anal about how thing are maintained.

Yeah' date=' I chalked the sprocket damage to a serious alignment issue, but who knows? I'm wondering how you don't feel the 'clunk, clunk, clunk' of the sprocket against the swing arm. I know this was over a very long time, but that had to be making a helluva racket. :nono:[/quote']

Especially the instant force it had to take to initiate the trench. On an Sv650?:confused: For Pete's sake! Low end torque at it's best!

Especially the instant force it had to take to initiate the trench. On an Sv650?:confused: For Pete's sake! Low end torque at it's best!

I am sure that occurred over a long period of time. If it was an instant hit you would have seen snapped bolts.

Yeah' date=' I chalked the sprocket damage to a serious alignment issue, but who knows? I'm wondering how you don't feel the 'clunk, clunk, clunk' of the sprocket against the swing arm. I know this was over a very long time, but that had to be making a helluva racket. :nono:[/quote']

Oh no way, couple miles and it's worn all the way through... I wouldn't even notice...

all sarcasm btw

That original thing about the chain changing tightness when the axle was torqued.

I think I remember finding out that a thrust washer was missing.

Either that, or I put one in there anyway.

I guessed that without it was warping the swingarm when torquing.

Yeah, had to over torque to keep the axle from moving forward.

Worked better when it had all the parts it needed.

That swingarm was cut but another tool that's not done by those nuts. Zoom in on th pic and look at the nuts there are no markings on them at all. Also look at the tool markings on each of the holes they are not made by those nuts. I'm thinking that this is a wheel swap that someone has done and didn't think much about what they were doing. This would explain the hubs for the sprocket and the wheel not matching up as well as the cuts in the swingarm. I for sure thought you Paul of all people would have examined these pics more closely. Being as you are a bike mechanic.

Only one nut/stud would have hit and cut at a time. Not all would be the same height or width. One had to be taller/wider than the others, until it wore down. You can see one at the bottom of the pic that is completely worn away. Might even have sheared the nut/stud off.

I wonder how long it took to do all that. All in one day?

Edited by ReconRat

problem resolved guys... appreciate all the good info. I def had it all put together right, the chain was just very worn. had a mech look at it and he couldnt find any probs. got a new chain and sprocket andeverything works fine. mech said the fact that i had the chain laying out in the sun for a few hours sunday might have made it expand more then what it was while on the bike. the heat factor with no tension restraint would easily expand an aged and unproperly cared for chain.

im strapped, lubed and ready to bust again!:D