Carb issue

max power

I am trying to figure out a problem that has recently occurred with my quad.

It will only run with the choke full on. I if I shut the choke off, it dies. If I touch the gas, it dies.

I removed the carb from the engine and gave it a thorough cleaning with some carb cleaner. Reinstalled it and fired it up.

It now runs with the choke on (although it doesnt idle well) and will rev, but if I shut the choke off, it dies. It will also run with half choke, which is an improvement, but also doesnt idle well. I cant find any cracks in the boot, so I am somewhat stumped.

Just to eliminate the possibility of it not getting enough gas, I bypassed the original fuel line and filter with a straight gas line I had laying around.

any ideas?

I removed the carb from the engine and gave it a thorough cleaning with some carb cleaner. Reinstalled it and fired it up.

Might want to pull it off and clean it with some carb cleaner. I have had old bikes do that very same thing.

:wtf: I did. :D

Im leaning towards clooged jet, (even tho I cleaned the shit out of them) but the erratic revving at idle makes me think it could be vacuum. Problem is, I cant find any vacuum lines on the thing. its a 2001 Warrior 350.

since it tried to kill me on May 16.

It gave me some trouble that day also. barely idled for a while all of a sudden as I was trying to climb a hill. Every time I tried to give it gas, it tried to die. I had to chug slowly down the road at just above idle for a while and it cleared itself up and ran great for the rest of the day.

Edited by max power

One carb down out of four will make it bog down. Barely run. It's lean. Fuel isn't getting to one or all carbs. The problem is in there somewhere. About half the time I have to clean a carb twice to get the problem out. So I just clean them twice in the first place and save some time. If it's not idling, it does sound like either an air leak or an idle jet. The problem is, with that type of problem the bike should still run when throttle is applied. I think I'd look for a slide or needle or diaphragm that isn't moving, or isn't positioned correctly. These are CV? Look for an air leak around the top of the throttle slide diaphragm cover, or the vacuum lines. You probably have the correct carb isolated, if it's starting to respond to attempts to correct.

You ever find the "won't run when wet problem"?

edit: oops, thought you meant the Vmax...

Edited by ReconRat
oops

Oh man, that screams rebuild kit for the first thing. Then new jets and possibly floats as well. Sounds as if the carbs have formed laquer in them. I would even be willing to go and say the needles have become gunked up. I would reuild the carb and make sure to replace any gasket or O ring it has. I would also replace both jets and the needle.

You ever find the "won't run when wet problem"?

Yeah, stinkin $30 part. Diode assembly. It had a rubber cover that got loose. water got in it and stayed. I disposed of the rubber cover and plasti-dipped it. works great now. :dunno:

Oh man, that screams rebuild kit for the first thing. Then new jets and possibly floats as well. Sounds as if the carbs have formed laquer in them. I would even be willing to go and say the needles have become gunked up. I would reuild the carb and make sure to replace any gasket or O ring it has. I would also replace both jets and the needle.

Had it open today when cleaning it and it seemed pretty clean inside. no lacquer to speak of. I guess it could need rebuilt, but would it happen overnight like that? It was starting and running fine up to a week ago.

alright. found a clogged pilot jet. Drained the tank, cleaned the pilot and the main and reassembled.

Fresh gas in tank.

Started up, and it back fired like crazy. Still wont idle with the choke off because the back fires cause it to stall. Replaced the spark plug and it still back fires almost constantly.

Any clues what could be causing the back firing?

BTW, the rebuild kit was on back order.

oh, i see you already discovered that. sometimes pilots are down in a counterbore and ppl miss them the first time through :)

did you measure the float level to make sure they are within spec? i would backflush the line through the float valve. do it over a piece of paper so you can see if anything comes out.

maybe hook up a gas line to the carb with the bowl off, and manually operate the float to make sure that it is indeed stopping the fuel flow. sometimes the seat can get worn or whatever.

if everything in the carb is fine, then id start looking at your spark.

maybe hook up a gas line to the carb with the bowl off, and manually operate the float to make sure that it is indeed stopping the fuel flow. sometimes the seat can get worn or whatever.

if everything in the carb is fine, then id start looking at your spark.

Good idea. I'll hook up the line and check the float. It seems to have good spark and I replaced the plug just in case.

I am trying to figure out a problem that has recently occurred with my quad.

It will only run with the choke full on. I if I shut the choke off, it dies. If I touch the gas, it dies.

It now runs with the choke on (although it doesnt idle well) and will rev, but if I shut the choke off, it dies. It will also run with half choke, which is an improvement, but also doesnt idle well. I cant find any cracks in the boot, so I am somewhat stumped.

Just to eliminate the possibility of it not getting enough gas, I bypassed the original fuel line and filter with a straight gas line I had laying around.

any ideas?

pilot or main jet period. Take them out poke and clean, get the shit out of the fuel you should be ready to go.Or bring up to HNW and will fix it.

alright. found a clogged pilot jet. Drained the tank, cleaned the pilot and the main and reassembled.

Fresh gas in tank.

Started up, and it back fired like crazy. Still wont idle with the choke off because the back fires cause it to stall. Replaced the spark plug and it still back fires almost constantly.

Any clues what could be causing the back firing?

BTW, the rebuild kit was on back order.

You have gas in the cylinder take out plug,turn off pet cock, turn over motor "disconnect coil" keep doing it till all the gas is out "it will go everywhere" check your valve lash and try then

PS sorry I didnt read the whole thread first.

I'm in ashville you could always be it by just PM me

the backfiring could be an exhaust leak. basically it pulls in air from the leak, and causes the unburnt fuel from combustion to burn in the pipes. and thats IF its leaking close to the head.

it sounds like the idle circuit is either plugged, or improperly adjusted. Have you tried adjusting the idle screws? a good start is to lightly seat them, and then back them out to two turns or so (it just so happens 2.5 turns runs good on my ex500). then set your idle. You can feel out your proper a/f idle mix by adjusting one screw1/8 turn, then the other. if the idle goes up, its getting better. just make sure whatever you do to one screw, you duplicate to the other.

I have no idea how many (if more than one) carbs your bike has. im assuming two..but i dont know.