MSF Basic Rider Course Eval & the elusive neutral "my nemesis"

socaln8tv

so hey, this weekend i completed/passed my training and got my endorsement finally. the first night (out of what is generally a three day course) is strictly material coverage and a "test" is sent home with you -- having fully covered the imp. material and leaving one equipped to answer them reasonably. you watch a few videos and the instructors make fun of riding laws in california. no biggie.

the group was pretty widespread -- any where from young teens with exp. riding dirt wanting to transition to street, all the way to older wives in their 60's trying to make a break from back seating riding.. the instructors were very clear in each particular excercise, as layed out by the MSF. we received many opportunities to discuss ea excercise and ask questions throughout ea day of riding.

this past saturday, the first two hours we were rained, often times poured on and it was pretty miserable, but i didnt want to come off like a complainer so i sucked it up. seriously it sucked hard in the rain. the instructors move the class along at a pace that you should expect to finish at least an hour early. in ea class, ea day, we suffienciently were let go an hour early, and ea day, the instructors attempted to see if the class would agree on meeting earlier in order to finish earlier... just letting you know what to expect. thats up at honda marysville.

personally i liked both the instructors. very easy going, very informative, eager to take questions and offer feedback. easy to throw jokes around if you know what i mean so it wasnt like walking on egg shells. breaks were short, 10 mins max and there were about three.

all together, i can't imagine what the folks over at harley can offer that would improve upon the class offered by the folks at MSF, at a cost difference exceeding 300+, but that's just me.

i was completely exhausted by the end of the day on saturday, having struggled to find neutral on my bike... i spent half the time trying so my lower leg and entire arm/hand was pretty sore. ad that to the wind/rain and i was hammered. same thing different day on sunday - minus the rain, made it a huge improvement, but still nuetral remained elusive.

expect rebels, some dual sports, nighthawks, etc... oh and no one told me but you cant ride if you don't have a shoe that covers your ankle. they DO check. so i had my chunky black boots on with a fat heel. super stylin. so innapropriate. but hey, it covered and thats all the attorneys cared about.

btw, if you are late, the attorneys also forbid you to start class under any circumstance, so even the instructors, who feel bad about it, have to turn you away. be prepared to show 15 mins early. and don't be late no matter what!!! this happened yesterday, the last day, to a gal who had child care issues. pretty sad actually. we all felt bad for her.

so that is my feedback. i'd do it again, enjoyed it, and learned from it. totally worth it! ;)

my advice is: take the dual sport! they're the lightest, easiest to ride bikes there. i jokingly asked the MSF instructors I had which one was the best, and they recommended the yamahahahaha dual sport they had.

Good to know people take the course out here or is it mandatory? I have taken the thing four times now and the experienced and sport bike riders course once each. They are the fun classes if they are offered out here. Good job finishing in the crappy weather.

all together, i can't imagine what the folks over at harley can offer that would improve upon the class offered by the folks at MSF, at a cost difference exceeding 300+, but that's just me.

If I understand that comment correctly, I just wanted to clarify something for you so you would understand the difference. The 300 dollar course is exactly the same as the one you took, in fact the one you took also costs 300 dollars. The State picked up the other 275 bucks.

The only difference is that the one you went to fills up fast, because of the cost savings of course. People go to the other one and pay the 300 bucks because they can't get a spot, or are in a hurry to get their license...maybe because they waited too long and their temp is about to expire......

Good to know people take the course out here or is it mandatory?

Mandatory for under 18 (and free), optional for everyone else. However if you are on a temp license you can take the course and assuming you pass it you get a waiver on the driving test with the state and get your newbie license.

Don't think the world is going to end because you can't find neutral.

99.9% of the time on the street, you'll never use neutral.

There's no law that says you have to park it in neutral, despite what the MSF instructors insist on. Just make sure that when you are parking in gear to remember to pull in the clutch or else you'll be going places you didn't want to go when you start it up.

It's only when you discover neutral when you were looking for second on the road when it's an issue. We've all done that before, just don't flip out when it happens.

Agreed. Plus those bikes are usually jacked up. I had trouble last year when I took it. And many many people had the same problem. I had been riding for years and years and was still endorsed, I retook it when I got back on so it wasn't like I was a total noob.

Get a Kawa :)

I have major issues finding neutral... my Vulcan has Kaw's "Positive Neutral Finder"... if you're going less than 5 any upshit puts you into neutral. I've never halfclicked my shift lever. Kind of sucks if you want to start in 2nd (no idea why other than maybe big smokey burnouts)

There's no law that says you have to park it in neutral, despite what the MSF instructors insist on. Just make sure that when you are parking in gear to remember to pull in the clutch or else you'll be going places you didn't want to go when you start it up.

It's only when you discover neutral when you were looking for second on the road when it's an issue. We've all done that before, just don't flip out when it happens.

On your 250, you pretty much HAVE to start the bike in neutral! The clutch on my ninja 250, and all others (before 2008) that I've seen, you have to put it in Neutral! At least (as Likwid stated) they have the "positive Neutral Finder!"

I rode the Nighthawk when we took the class. I don't plan on ever riding a 250 Nighthawk again! It was pretty easy to deal with for the class, but it was not exactly comfortable for me! My wife rode the Suzuki GZ250, and she had troubles with her feet getting caught in the shifter, she even dropped it once because of it, and had a nice large bruise to show for it! She got right back on it after cussing, and saying the f-word more than I've heard her say ANY swear word, and finished the class!

It has to be in Nuetral to start IF the kickstand is DOWN.

Up. it doesnt matter.

No, I'm referring to the clutch not releasing (due to fluid shear) on the 250 until after it's running. If I start the 250 while it's in gear, it take a LOT of brake to keep it from moving. If it dies (wife stalling it?) it will be fine if it's re-started pretty quickly, but not after a minute or so. It's not a PROBLEM with the bike, just a design issue. Maybe some years have different clutch plates in them, making the fluid shear happen and not be a "problem". It's not all that easy to explain!

No, I'm referring to the clutch not releasing (due to fluid shear) on the 250 until after it's running. If I start the 250 while it's in gear, it take a LOT of brake to keep it from moving. If it dies (wife stalling it?) it will be fine if it's re-started pretty quickly, but not after a minute or so. It's not a PROBLEM with the bike, just a design issue. Maybe some years have different clutch plates in them, making the fluid shear happen and not be a "problem". It's not all that easy to explain!

Never had that problem on mine.

I started my '03 an hour ago in first, before I went for a freezing cold ride, just to sanity-check.

It has to be in Nuetral to start IF the kickstand is DOWN.

Up. it doesnt matter.

My 03 will start in first even with the kickstand down.

Now, if I try to take off with the kickstand, it'll stall. :p

If I understand that comment correctly, I just wanted to clarify something for you so you would understand the difference. The 300 dollar course is exactly the same as the one you took, in fact the one you took also costs 300 dollars. The State picked up the other 275 bucks.

The only difference is that the one you went to fills up fast, because of the cost savings of course. People go to the other one and pay the 300 bucks because they can't get a spot, or are in a hurry to get their license...maybe because they waited too long and their temp is about to expire......

ah that makes sense... i signed up and paid back in may. perfectly good reason for those who need that option!

yeah, the instructor said not finding neutral isnt bad.. staying in first at stops allows me the option of moving quickly in a situation that could be potentially dangerous. my hand hurt so bad from clutching in first all day, and of course practicing the loops (tight 8 turns) while half clutching.. boy that was tough and intimidating but my instructor totally got me through it!! im so greatful for him.

My 03 will start in first even with the kickstand down.

Now, if I try to take off with the kickstand, it'll stall. :p

The tab on my kickstand safety is broken (thank goodness) so I can start in gear or in neutral. In gear I have to hold the clutch (duh)

yeah, the instructor said not finding neutral isnt bad.. staying in first at stops allows me the option of moving quickly in a situation that could be potentially dangerous. my hand hurt so bad from clutching in first all day, and of course practicing the loops (tight 8 turns) while half clutching.. boy that was tough and intimidating but my instructor totally got me through it!! im so greatful for him.

Good stuff, remember you'll likely only use neutral when you want to take your hand off the clutch at a light... after a bit of riding you're hand will get tired, taking your hand off while riding, or at a stop light you'll want to put it in neutral so you can bring your hand down, or adjust your jacket etc.

As for parking, I park in 1st gear 100% of the time, I don't want Scarlet rolling away.

I agree about the Dual Sport. My husband had one during his BRC and another guy who had a perfect score rode one.

I am WAY TOOO SHORT and had to have a Rebel. Those Rebels are beat the heck up. I had problems with mine finding neutral.

Yeah, if you can avoid a "cruiser" there at the BRC course you are already doing well.

That was exactly my case, I took it at C&A only because I couldn't get in the state courses for a few months and didn't want to wait. The classes are smaller. The instructor I had teaches the state and the dealer courses, he said the dealer courses are slightly better only because they are getting paid more and the smaller class helps.

You can walk in on the classes very easily. People decide not to show up all the time and forfeit their $25.

Like me.. I'm going to be skipping out on my slot in October near Cincy. I took the course from a Harley dealership because it was 2 months sooner.. means 2 more months of riding!