carb rebuild kits?

velnarah

a friend from work has been doing some maintenance for me on my bike and has recently found what he described as a leak. I am bad at recalling word for word so I'l ask him to email what he said happened exactly but baisically he thinks I should get a rebuild kit for the carbs.

this be something I know nothing about. Like where do I get one, how much could I expect to pay? Or would it be better to try and get new carbs all together?

this is for a 93 suzuki GS500.

A carb kit is basically a big bag-o-gaskets and O-rings...

it should include every gasket and seal in your carb, and may also include some small valves/misc parts..

they typically run less than $20...

new carbs will be more of a headache, because they may need the same gaskets/seals replaced...

basically (you = back to square 1)

Edited by magley64

Or would it be better to try and get new carbs all together? .

Not unless you find major issues when he gets them apart, which I seriously doubt. I have rebuilt carbs from the 30's. Unless there is physical damage they will come out just fine.

thanks that helps.. ok next question..

say I get a carb rebuildin kit... I don't know how to do it and he said he's never done it before and is obviously uncomfortable trying it without anyone experienced around.

anyone on here be willing to help me out if I got a kit?

anyone on here be willing to help me out if I got a kit?

If you can get the carb off of your bike, you can replace the gaskets and o-rings. Pick up a clymer manual and use pictures like the one below to help you remember how things come apart and go back together.

Here is a picture of your carb: http://tinyurl.com/ljaaye

or 2103_12.gif

good luck! You will find it is not too bad!!

thanks for that... K this is what he actually said the first time he started it up...mistting fuel out the left carb, could be the float sticking but not for sure.

But he said today that it didn't happen anymore, as if maybe it was just cause the bike was cold from being apart for a few weeks etc.

However he mentioned the float...

Last year I had the carbs cleaned. I was there when the guy did it and I saw all the parts though i did not know what I was looking at. I saw him clean them too. But there were two white-ish rubbery float things kind of needle shaped I think, one of them was bent clear down and completely out of position from what it should have been.

He said he was surprised I was able to not only ride the bike but that I was getting the horsepower I was getting out of it.

anyway....

I don't know anymore if I'm going to get a rebuild kit. Have to talk to the guy doin the work again.