riding skills test

jermattak

ok, so after 6 months of riding, i was finally able to schedule the skills test, i wanna see if i should do it on my old bike, a 1982 csr650 (for sale), or my gsxr, i think you have do go through cones, make a u-ie, and stop really fast, anyone got any more details? i stole some cones from back when i was in high school and wanna use them

tisk, tisk, should've taken the MSF course. It's simple and creates a good learning environment. You get your license right after your finish too.

:plus1: The MSF course is well worth the 25.00 bucks. Only drawback is the fact that the course fills up months in advance.

If you decide to just take the test at the DMV I would borrow a scotter, the figure 8 exercise is a little more difficult (not impossible) on a sportbike.

:plus1: The MSF course is well worth the 25.00 bucks. Only drawback is the fact that the course fills up months in advance.

If you decide to just take the test at the DMV I would borrow a scotter, the figure 8 exercise is a little more difficult (not impossible) on a sportbike.

Thats why i didnt take the MSF course. Just as the year turned '05 into '06the classes filled up clear into June.....i was like "holy shit!" So i borrowed some guys scooter.

Well here in Cincy the test consist of a Shart 90 degree corner you have to stay in the lines.

Stop with front wheel in box (normal stop no penalty if dont' stop before putting foot down, just make a controled stop).

Then Slalom, if you can get passed the slaom you are home free as it is the hardest on the test. Offset cones where you have to go out side (5mph was too fast to do it on my seca). The GSXR will strubble since the turning radius is crap, not much clearance for hands to maneuver at short turns.

Next is U-turn, not too hard

Then you move to Quick stop. about 12-20 mph stop within 15 ft I think

Then Object Swerve where you swerve a painted line on the pavement.

Up north may have a figure eight, but I haven't seen it here in Southern OH.

Edit +100 on the borrowing a scooter if you can. Makes the test a cake walk.

IMHO, the 'skills' test is retard easy.

I did it on my Ninja 500... While I was there I saw a chick do it on a Softail Harley... Her husband/BF/whatever did it on an Electra Glide (full dresser)... a guy did it on his ragged out CBR... and two guys failed... One on a Chopper (the u-turn in the square was literally impossible for him to do)... The other was on a smaller jap cruiser...

Oh, and I should add... The test offers very little, if any at all, real measure of ability to ride on the street... Good street riders could fail that test (probably not likely though), however a trained monkey could probably pass it too...

Take it on the smalles bike you can find. I took it on a 250 ninja and breezed through it first time while the macho men on their cruisers failed left and right. I thought the u-turn was the hardest thing, just because it felt so small there. Good luck on it!

tanks, i think i might try it on my csr, heavier and bigger, but i think it might handle better at low speeds than the gsxr, im just really paranoid about it i guess, ive still been on dirt for a long time, so im not entirely a noob, just cant afford to wait another 3 weeks to schedule

Then I would tell you to choose the parts you think will be the toughest (slalom and u-turn maybe?) and set up those cones in an empty parking lot. It sounds stupid, but it'll help ease your fears. Another option is to go to the test site after close and either take measurements from their paint markings on the ground or practice right then and there.

Then I would tell you to choose the parts you think will be the toughest (slalom and u-turn maybe?) and set up those cones in an empty parking lot. It sounds stupid, but it'll help ease your fears. Another option is to go to the test site after close and either take measurements from their paint markings on the ground or practice right then and there.

good thinking, ill sneak in tonight after their closed, haha and make a run for it if some fat bmv person sees me, thanks!

I borrowed a scooter and took mine. Then went back after hours and tried on my gsxr. I would have failed so badly on the gix........lol. If you dont have any friends that have scooters alot of your motorcycle shops will rent them for the test. If you are looking to borrow its 50cc+ all for a motorcycle test. I used a 125 vino and it was awesome!

I took mine in tiffin ohio and there was no figure 8 the test that was explained earlier was the same thing I did. And the same order. Now I have my endorsment and to be honest it is so much better to ride now because of a comfort level if I got pulled over.

I borrowed a scooter and took mine. Then went back after hours and tried on my gsxr. I would have failed so badly on the gix........lol. If you dont have any friends that have scooters alot of your motorcycle shops will rent them for the test. If you are looking to borrow its 50cc+ all for a motorcycle test. I used a 125 vino and it was awesome!

I took mine in tiffin ohio and there was no figure 8 the test that was explained earlier was the same thing I did. And the same order. Now I have my endorsment and to be honest it is so much better to ride now because of a comfort level if I got pulled over.

i also rent out my 250. i rode one for the MSF class and its pretty easy. :D

Just a little tip, if through the cones you do happen to put your foot down, just walk the bike the rest of the way through the cones. The DMV lady told me that they only take off 5 points for putting your foot down and then nothing for actually walking the bike through it. Kind of a scary thought, but just a tid bit of info that I picked up....by the way I passed mine after only about 600 miles of riding under my belt.....so it's not too difficult and like everyone else think that it shows no real measure of how safe you are on the streets.

1st test as was stated, drive stright make a sharp left turn inside 2 lines, come to stop in box.

2nd test is the slalom through cones, turn around the other way and then make a U-turn within the marked lines.

3rd test is the quick stop, get up to 12-20 mph and come to a quick stop...they expect you to squeal the tires, and expect your back end to come up...

4th test is the swerve, get up to 12-20mph and swerve to the right of the little box in the middle....

Not too terrible.