Picking out the right helmet

Likwid

I want to get a good helmet.

First question: What is the general return/exchange policies for helmets? No go?

Second question: Would putting on the helmet and sticking my head up through a moonroof on the highway be the best way to test the helmet? I'm trying to establish noise, buffeting, lifting, ventilation (opened/closed) and air leaking.

Since the riding season is nearing the end I assume deals are going to be going on I'd like to get one over the winter.

Thanks all

Some internet stores will allow you one free return/exchange when you buy a helmet and some deal in only the freshest helmets. Return policies are pretty stiff for helmets. It has to come back to them in exactly the same condition it was shipped. So, if they can tell in any way that the lid's been rode, you're out of luck. You want to get it right the first time.

As far as noise and buffeting etc., they're all noisy and they all buffet some. The best defense is a perfect fit and sealing around the collar. If you want quiet, you need ear plugs. I mean custom ear plugs. Without them you're going to be saying "what?" a lot in the years ahead.

Some internet stores will allow you one free return/exchange when you buy a helmet and some deal in only the freshest helmets. Return policies are pretty stiff for helmets. It has to come back to them in exactly the same condition it was shipped. So, if they can tell in any way that the lid's been rode, you're out of luck. You want to get it right the first time.

As far as noise and buffeting etc., they're all noisy and they all buffet some. The best defense is a perfect fit and sealing around the collar. If you want quiet, you need ear plugs. I mean custom ear plugs. Without them you're going to be saying "what?" a lot in the years ahead.

I'll add to this: It would seriously behoove you to take an entire afternoon and camp out at Iron Pony. I know it's a 2 hour drive for you, but you get to try on EVERY type of helmet out there. The nuances are numerous, it seems like most every manufacturer uses a different type of head form to make the liners, some fit round heads better, oval heads, so on. I'd personally take the drive and the lunch with some of us over sending the helmet back.

There might even be a good closeout special when you're there, but I would still check internet pricing. Picked up a Scorp EXO-700 for 160 when they were on sportbiketrackgear for 110.

Thanks for the info hue! I have an HJC CS-R1 right now... SUCKS!! Shield leaks, a TON of air comes up under the helmet, not enough ventilation to keep me cool, too much to keep me warm...

I'm betting moonroof on the highway is the best option, to ensure the shield doesn't get scratched or a bug splat I could put some removable tape on the shield... I'm stretching this but I want to get the best helmet for myself.... if I'm going to spend the money I want to do it once (well twice now) and be done rather than having to do this every year.

Edited by Likwid

I'll add to this: It would seriously behoove you to take an entire afternoon and camp out at Iron Pony. I know it's a 2 hour drive for you, but you get to try on EVERY type of helmet out there. The nuances are numerous, it seems like most every manufacturer uses a different type of head form to make the liners, some fit round heads better, oval heads, so on. I'd personally take the drive and the lunch with some of us over sending the helmet back.

There might even be a good closeout special when you're there, but I would still check internet pricing. Picked up a Scorp EXO-700 for 160 when they were on sportbiketrackgear for 110.

Definitely a +1 to that, IP that's where I'll go to be sure, but I'll have to take a different car so I can "test it"

Thanks for the info hue! I have an HJC CS-R1 right now... SUCKS!! Shield leaks, a TON of air comes up under the helmet, not enough ventilation to keep me cool, too much to keep me warm...

I'm betting moonroof on the highway is the best option, to ensure the shield doesn't get scratched or a bug splat I could put some removable tape on the shield... I'm stretching this but I want to get the best helmet for myself.... if I'm going to spend the money I want to do it once (well twice now) and be done rather than having to do this every year.

Same problems I have with my Zox that I bought from IP on closeout. It fits great, but the air coming up under is something I think can be improved with design. Same with the ventilation, it doesn't seem to make any difference in airflow if I open or close the vents. My shield doesn't seem to leak though!

I'm not going to buy a helmet "for keeps" because I know that stuff happens, may get dropped, or one day I'm sure I'll go down (Praying that I don't, but it's likely to happen!) and new and better technoogy comes out year after year. Not to mention that the ratings (Snell anyway) are revised periodically (5 years for Snell, DOT is probably as they see fit) and it's also recommended to replace them every few years, and I don't want to spend $500 every few years for a new bucket. My Zox is on the cheap-o side of thing (I think it was $70 or 80) and I will probably spend more next time, just doubtful I will go top of the line when there are some VERY good inexpensive buckets out there.

Just my $.02

:popcorn:

Most of my helmets have always been ok with wind, lift, etc. A helmet that has a rear spoiler will assist with lift. My Shoei TZ-R doesn't really have a spoiler and I noticed it lifted a little more.

The TZ-R was very quiet though, which is a huge thing for me.

Iron Pony is perfect for trying helmets on. That's what sold me on my Shoei, I tried one on and it fit perfectly. It was game over after I slipped it on, I had to have one. lol One thing though, if you look at any Shoeis, they fog relentlessly. Just a bad part of the design.

Most of my helmets have always been ok with wind, lift, etc. A helmet that has a rear spoiler will assist with lift. My Shoei TZ-R doesn't really have a spoiler and I noticed it lifted a little more.

Iron Pony is perfect for trying helmets on. That's what sold me on my Shoei, I tried one on and it fit perfectly. It was game over after I slipped it on, I had to have one. lol One thing though, if you look at any Shoeis, they fog relentlessly. Just a bad part of the design.

Iron Pony...Macy's for motorcyclists. Comfort and happiness with a new helmet is well worth the ride there. :)

Have to agree; I've been pretty happy with my Shoei. It's almost three years old now so it's due for a replacement. The X-11s and RF1000s are on sale because they're making way for the X-12 and RF1100s. The current Shoeis are all SNELL and good with the wind buffeting (I've used mine for over 75k miles), but it's a dated design that Shoei supposedly says they've really improved on with this new line. Pony says they'll be in by late October so there's another option for you. Can't go wrong with Shoei in my opinion; it's a matter of fit to choose the one that you'll go with.

The fog issue is a bit annoying with Shoeis but I hear those "Pinlock" shields with the second liner over them work pretty well to combat that. I've also heard of some people using the spray-on antifog (like the stuff hockey players use on their clear face sheilds). Also, Scorpion has snow accessories that retrofit to all their current helmets so that also helps with the cold and fog; those may have to be special ordered, though. Scorpions are pretty decent (also SNELL certified) but they're heavier and the flat bottom isn't that great for shorter necks (at least for me).

I have to vouch for my Arai Quantum 2. The air management options are numerous and the air-flow is better than any helmet I've had, ever. With the shield closed and all vents open, I feel my hair move in the helmet! With all vents closed, it moves absolutely no air, like my Scorpion EXO-700.

I have to say I really love my Nolan N103!! It is a flip up helmet and it is great that you get to open the helmet when gasing up or when you are stuck in traffic on hot days. Another great feature is the interior sun visor. My hubby had a Schubert flip up with a sun visor while I still had to dork around with the full face and sun shades... I hated it.

SO now, I really wanted one with a flip down sun visor and I am really glad i got it. :-)

The outer visor has a anti fog insert and the helmet keeps a lot of the noise out.

Another thing is, make sure the helmet is snug...I almost could not take it when I first got this helmet, because I was so used to the old helmet, which had widened over the years.

So the store told me I could bring it back, if I absolutely could not stand how snug it was. But, now it fits right, it has memory foam and after wearing it for a few hours I have gotten used to it.

btw, it took me about 2 hours of trying on helmets before I decided on this one.... so good luck with yours... :-)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=nolan+n103&tag=yahhyd-20&index=aps&hvadid=45919348511&ref=pd_sl_16aklrveg7_b

Mel

I'll be the first to tell you to shy away from the Scorpion EXO-400's. I was really happy with mine until yesterday and the almost 1.5hr ride home on 90 and 271. The thing is loud with wind noise but I can't complain that much for the ridiculous deal I got on it

Lifting isn't a problem for me with my cheap-o, it's the buffeting under the chin bar that bugs me! I'm going to keep watching helmet selection threads before deciding on my next bucket.

A side note on the buffeting, I tried one of the "quiet rider" enclosures, and it didn't do a lot for the noise, but the airflow was greatly reduced from under the chin bar. The vents worked like they should at that time. I have trouble getting the helmet on and off with the stupid thing though, the hlemet fogs terribly with it on, and in the cold it does nothing for the temperature, as it ends up right on my chin, which transfers the cold right to me anyway! I bet it works better with other helmets though, possibly ones where you don't need it as badly to begin with?

I have the Deluxe model, I htink it is, where it has a zippered opening under the chin for ventilation, which makes it not open as far, which is why I think I trouble putting the helmet on and off.

ill add my 2 cents...

i have a Shoei X-11 and its by far the quietest, best ventilating, most stable, lightest, and most comfortable helmet i have ever owned. When its worn out, ill be buying an X-12

i dont think ill buy anything but another Shoei helmet.

I just bought the wife a Shoei RF-1000, and she loves it. states the same things that i have said about my x-11. so either one of those is a great choice IMO

check out some reviews on them on youtube, and then get your ass to the pony and try some on. they also have the different size cheek pads in stock, so if you need a bigger set you can pop different ones in to see what you need and go from there.

the pin lock shield deal mentioned above works great to help with fogging. i had one on the old nolan and it worked wonders.

but beware if you put one on your head you will buy it!

i used to think you could get a good helmet for under $300.. but honestly you get what you pay for..

i have not used an Arai or Suomy, but people rave about them too. all i know is the shoei fit me perfect, and there isnt another helmet that can touch it IMO.

Edited by Hoblick