EMT, first responder anyone?

scottb

Just thinking out loud here...I am kinda new to OR and dont really know a lot of people here, outside of the 2 rides I went on. In case something happens during a ride, is there anyone here that is an EMT or first responder or even a boy/girl scout? If a person had the skills to respond to an issue, I am sure they would step up if needed, but might be good to know prior to departing on a ride? I took a CRP class about 20 years ago in high school, I THINK I could do CPR if I had to...

Any thoughts?

Edited by scottb
seems i can't spell CPR...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking out loud here...I am kinda new to OR and dont really know a lot of people here, outside of the 2 rides I went on. In case something happens during a ride, is there anyone here that is an EMT or first responder or even a boy/girl scout? If a person had the skills to respond to an issue, I am sure they would step up if needed, but might be good to know prior to departing on a ride? I took a CRP class about 20 years ago in high school, I THINK I could do CPR if I had to...

Any thoughts?

I'm a medic :)

I'm a nurse practitioner but I currently work in palliative medicine (meaning my patient population has a life limiting illness already) thus my skills are a bit dusty although I have thumped on a few chests in my time:D. I used to work as an RN prior to becoming a CNP at grant hospital which is a level one trauma center. I don't go on rides tho on twisties anymore but the other medical professionals that do are more than qualified to handle CPR, Cspine, etc prior to arrival of medics. :)

I was a licensed EMT for Ohio and a Pct at Grant. Gsxr750girl is a medic and there is a few more CNP's, firemen, EMT's, and RN's.

Lance, I'm sure you you would be fine administering first aid, but you would probably get plowed over by a car while you were on the side of the road with your accident record. :grin:

Lance, I'm sure you you would be fine administering first aid, but you would probably get plowed over by a car while you were on the side of the road with your accident record. :grin:

When I stop, I usually have to get people out of the roadway. There is no guarantee that the next vehicle that comes down the road will stop. Secondary accidents at the scene of an accident are very common. Post road guards out both directions to slow traffic down.

I have a med/aid kit I sometimes carry on the bike. More than just first aid. Some tools, flares, lumen sticks, hydration, etc. Along with basic and advanced first aid items. I know some other people carry stuff also.

Most common motorcycle related injuries:

1. eye injuries: foreign objects, sunburn, dry and irritated, etc

2. burns: sunburn, exhaust pipe burns, etc

3. abrasions: scuffs, bumps, bruises, cuts, etc

I'd add bug bites to the list. Not bad to have an anti-toxin for stings and bites.

There are lists on the internet for making your own first aid kit for the motorcycle. But some of them seem to be way too extensive. Your best first aid is a phone to summon aid, and the ability to describe where you are.

Does anyone roll with a first aid kit. i mean more than bandaids?

I keep thinking about making a mini trauma kit. i just have no place to put it on the bike. Could backpack it i guess.

Does anyone roll with a first aid kit. i mean more than bandaids?

I keep thinking about making a mini trauma kit. i just have no place to put it on the bike. Could backpack it i guess.

Store bought kits for motorcycles come in all sizes and prices. A smaller one would be easy to store in a pocket or on the bike somewhere. Larger ones need an ambulance to haul them around.

I'm sure something would have to be added or be missing, no kit has everything.

Where are some First Responder classes? Some of us want to go. Some of us should go. Where are the classes, and is anyone willing to take them? I'll check at work this week and see if the EMT instructors do weekend classes like that.