EMT, first responder anyone?

scottb

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MaxP was a first responder....

I got my medic card in college, but never renewed it. Still remember most of it though. Had to use the skills 2 days before last Christmas when 2 80 old twin sisters t-boned a semi on 161. One died while we were working on her. she hit the windshield, No belt. Sucked.

A first responder course is going to be the same regardless. In all my training we learned about "motorcycle accidents" they are not all that different then a car accident, or any accident for that fact. First thing you look for is your ABC's. A (airway) B (breathing) C (circulation/bleeding). Then you move onto C spine, and many other things as well. Just throwing that out there.

A first responder course is going to be the same regardless. In all my training we learned about "motorcycle accidents" they are not all that different then a car accident, or any accident for that fact. First thing you look for is your ABC's. A (airway) B (breathing) C (circulation/bleeding). Then you move onto C spine, and many other things as well. Just throwing that out there.

Sure, figured that to be true.

I got my medic card in college, but never renewed it. Still remember most of it though. Had to use the skills 2 days before last Christmas when 2 80 old twin sisters t-boned a semi on 161. One died while we were working on her. she hit the windshield, No belt. Sucked.

i remember that shit :eek:

I just applied at Washington Township Fire Dept. I was CPR/First Aid Cert. but it's expired by now. The position is in-house and on call, but I don't have my Firefighter I class yet. But from what the Township said I can get my foot in the door see if I like it. I have 1 year from hire date to get my Firefighter I class done, but I plan on doing it the next time the class opens up. I'm 22, any ideas on what I need to know?

just keep tring... the course.. you really want is firefighter I-II its the 240 card.. it covers everything you need to be certified and work anywhere, the I card alone is only a 120 course which is fine but doesnt cover advanced firefighting tech, and the 120 and 240 are the amount of Hrs you are in class and clinicals... remember to keep at it once you get your card.. its really hard to get onto a great dept .. 2 years ago.. columbus Hired on 7 Firefighters, over 3500 tested... so GL

I just applied at Washington Township Fire Dept. I was CPR/First Aid Cert. but it's expired by now. The position is in-house and on call, but I don't have my Firefighter I class yet. But from what the Township said I can get my foot in the door see if I like it. I have 1 year from hire date to get my Firefighter I class done, but I plan on doing it the next time the class opens up. I'm 22, any ideas on what I need to know?

As a fellow firefighter and medic good luck! Keep at it, its hard work. The 240 class is what you want like twisted said. It is offered at a couple different places around town. PM me if you need anything.

Where are some First Responder classes? Some of us want to go. Some of us should go. Where are the classes, and is anyone willing to take them? I'll check at work this week and see if the EMT instructors do weekend classes like that.

It is always good to have this kind of knowledge under your belt Tom but I've found in personal experience that if I'm not working in this environment I tend to forget stuff. I continue to get my ACLS renewed every 2 years but let me tell you I could not remember all the algorithms for the life of me....not that in the field you'd have too unless you're actually a medic. Plus, the majority of my patients are DNRCC or DNRCCA/DNI. :lol: If anyone has children they should be obligated to take these courses! Just my 2 cents. And FYI....motorcycle vs. car...injuries are injuries and they are all responded to the same way. I believe stats (when I was a trauma nurse) were any trauma arrest only has a 7% chance of survival and IF they survive what kind of quality of life will they have? Has anyone read up on new literature regarding that? I'd be interested to know. It's not my specialty anymore. ;)

my buddy Dan lives in Columbus and is either an EMT or Paramedic (not sure if there's a certification or schooling difference). He has a fire cert of some sort as well, but pursued the EMT route when fire jobs just weren't available.

If people just want some basic "do this, don't do that. if you can only carry 3 things, these should be the 3 you have" training, I'm sure he'd be happy to give some informal instruction.

He may actually hate bikes though... He's not one to preach the dangers of riding, but I know one of his friends died in a bike accident while he was in fire school, or shortly after they graduated. But who knows, that may be one more reason he's willing to give some free advice.

I have had to give CPR once and have seen more bones exposed through the skin than I care to have seen, but we had some quality training in the Corps that prepared me for all of that. I know that I should go back and get re-certified on CPR, just becuase.

Most of all to everyone here that has made a life and living out of being there for others when they are hurt or need help, you have my deepest gratitude.

My neighbor was one of those 7, and he was 34 or 35 at the time, and not the toughest guy around........Kinda makes me wonder who he blew. :D

and people wonder why the affirmative action debate comes up so frequently in firefighting. super competitive.

not to change the subject, but does anyone watch the biggest loser? my wife is way into it, and on of the contestants is a hugely overweight columbus firefighter.

why are overweight LEO's and firefighters allowed to keep their jobs? If my ability to perform my job declined that much, I'd be out the door in a heartbeat.

**edit - laugh at me for being stupid. Columbus, INDIANA. but the question is still valid. His bio says he's worried he "may not pass teh physical this year." How fucking easy does that physical have to be for this guy to have passed last year????? I know getting INTO the department is no joke. http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/contestants/current_cast/allen/

Edited by redkow97

Lance, I'm sure you you would be fine administering first aid, but you would probably get plowed over by a car while you were on the side of the road with your accident record. :grin:

Oh man! I'm sorry.. I had to LOL! :lol:

Nothing but love for ya Lance!

I was a Certified Nurse Aid (RNA I believe they call it here in Ohio) where I'm from in Southern Illinois.

Back in Po-Dunk-NoWhere, Illinois it paid just as much to pop popcorn at the movie theatre as it did to wipe asses. Soooo.. the lure of free movies, popcorn, and no dookie on my work uniforms won.

My family owned a ambulance service and I was a dispatcher there up until I moved to Ohio.

I would like to take CPR classes again. Get a refresh on the latest. I hope they aren't too expensive.

and people wonder why the affirmative action debate comes up so frequently in firefighting. super competitive.

not to change the subject, but does anyone watch the biggest loser? my wife is way into it, and on of the contestants is a hugely overweight columbus firefighter.

why are overweight LEO's and firefighters allowed to keep their jobs? If my ability to perform my job declined that much, I'd be out the door in a heartbeat.

**edit - laugh at me for being stupid. Columbus, INDIANA. but the question is still valid. His bio says he's worried he "may not pass teh physical this year." How fucking easy does that physical have to be for this guy to have passed last year????? I know getting INTO the department is no joke. http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/contestants/current_cast/allen/

You know, we just had a big debate about this in the barn. We have a physical incentive that we do every year. It isn't overly difficult, but if you sit on your ass all day all year, it will give you problems. A few of us suggested that we go to a 12 month wellness program, and these guys about shit their pants. I am 39, I will admit, overweight.....but I manage to run about 9 miles a week. I have no problem with it. The big thing that I try to convince thse guys of is this... I weigh 205, with gear on....255-265. After going through 1 bottle, do you think you can drag me out? It would be hard for me and I am in fairly good shape.

I was a Certified Nurse Aid (RNA I believe they call it here in Ohio) where I'm from in Southern Illinois.

Back in Po-Dunk-NoWhere, Illinois it paid just as much to pop popcorn at the movie theatre as it did to wipe asses. Soooo.. the lure of free movies, popcorn, and no dookie on my work uniforms won.

My family owned a ambulance service and I was a dispatcher there up until I moved to Ohio.

I would like to take CPR classes again. Get a refresh on the latest. I hope they aren't too expensive.

As a medic when I started in 1992, I was getting paid $6.79 an hour....yes those are medic wages with an associates degree. Paid just as well to wipe asses in a nursing home, with a ton more responsibility. I am probably lucky I made it as long as I did. My second week on the job I had 2 babies drown in car that rolled down a hill into a pond. (eternal mental picture). When I left that job in 2000, I was making $9.66 an hour. I still admire some of my friends who are still there. I know the pay has gotten better, but the mental stress is ridiculous.

WOW,I figured the pay would be decent. Not much money for all that responsibility

The pay is much better if you are in a paid Fire Dept. That was with a private service, but not the typical private svc. We did all of the 911 calls in Guernsey and Noble counties plus all of the hospital to hospital transfers, the nursing home trips, etc. I was the only medic on the shift then, and we only ran 2 crews, so it was not out of the ordinary to be up all 24 hrs of your shift. It has changed a lot since I left. They run 3 medic trucks in town, one in a neighboring town, and one in noble county. I think the pay is MUCH better. I am at the Cambridge Fire Dept now, and it is the berries here.