Need the advice of European travelers...

Cheech

Which would you choose, Belgium or Sweden?

Here's the catch, you'll be there for work for a week (arrive Monday, fly out Friday/Sat), but the work shouldn't take more than 3 days. It can't be extended since I have another deployment to do the week after it. Distance to major cities (Brussels and Stockholm) is almost a complete wash, maps.google has them at 32 and 36 minutes travel time.

So which is it?

Belgium. Steer clear of Brussells though. Brugge is great, more beer than you could ever lust after. Chocolate too. The Benelux countries have a good direct rail system too. Which takes you to Amsterdam. Live your rock star dreams...

Belgium. Steer clear of Brussells though. Brugge is great, more beer than you could ever lust after. Chocolate too. The Benelux countries have a good direct rail system too. Which takes you to Amsterdam. Live your rock star dreams...

Interesting. The place would be Seneffe, due south from Brussels. In Sweden the place is due east from Stockholm.

Sweden would be cool, but I would suggest Belgium....By train you can visit Holland, Germany, England & France soo easy. By going to Belgium you could see more of Europe. Sweden is somewhat more isolated further northeast by its lonesome near Norway & Finland. Belgium FTW!!!!!

Being that close to Brussells, that would be a major travel hub. Get a Benelux train pass, which has unlimited travel for a predetermined time inexpensively. I lived in Luxembourg while going to school, and toured there a lot. Seriously try and hit Brugge. Undamaged through the wars, drinking in the town square by the tower that was put up in 900ad in a tavern that's been there since that time as well.

Then hop into the train to Amsterdam.

Temperatures in Brussels are about the same as here. 40F low to 50-55F high. Sunny.

Temperatures in Stockholm are 30F low to 40-45F high. Slight chance of snow.

Sweden likes Americans.

Belgium loves Americans.

Personal opinions:

1. It sounds like you aren't going to be there very long. Certainly not long enough to explore, sightsee, and have much of an experience. So pick accordingly.

2. Sweden is more difficult to get to, compared to Belgium. You may never get another chance to visit there.

3. I would choose Copenhagen over Stockholm. Just sayin'.

4. A reason to visit Stockholm: "A survey by Traveler's Digest, a US travel magazine has made a list of the cities that are home to the world's most beautiful women. Stockholm came out on top." - The Local, Sweden's news in English.

5. Stockholm is best in the Summer when it's warm.

6. Beer in Belgium will be fantastic.

7. Confused yet?

Temperatures in Brussels are about the same as here. 40F low to 50-55F high. Sunny.

Temperatures in Stockholm are 30F low to 40-45F high. Slight chance of snow.

Sweden likes Americans.

Belgium loves Americans.

Personal opinions:

1. It sounds like you aren't going to be there very long. Certainly not long enough to explore, sightsee, and have much of an experience. So pick accordingly.

2. Sweden is more difficult to get to, compared to Belgium. You may never get another chance to visit there.

3. I would choose Copenhagen over Stockholm. Just sayin'.

4. A reason to visit Stockholm: "A survey by Traveler's Digest, a US travel magazine has made a list of the cities that are home to the world's most beautiful women. Stockholm came out on top." - The Local, Sweden's news in English.

5. Stockholm is best in the Summer when it's warm.

6. Beer in Belgium will be fantastic.

7. Confused yet?

Interesting points. Sounds like Belgium is winning.

Switzerland.

Not possible, not enough time. I MAY be able to squeeze out one more day by pushing the other deployment back, but either way it won't be enough time.

It has been decided, I'm going to Stockholm. Sweden's a little harder to get to than Belgium, and since I have more options geographically in Belgium then i do in Sweden, I would want to spend a lot more time there which I can't do now.

Thanks everyone for the insight!

Download links for travel guides:

Henrik Berezin : "Hunter Travel Guides - Scandinavia: Sweden, Norway, & Denmark"

Published by Hunter Publishing, April 2006 | ISBN: 1588435792 | PDF Format, 481 pages | 10 MB

Elisabet Olesen : "Adventure Guide to Sweden"

ISBN: 1588435067 | PDF Format | 6MB

Becky Ohlsen, Fran Parnell, "Sweden (Country Guide)"

Lonely Planet | 2006 | ISBN: 1740599837 | 356 pages | PDF format | 8,75 MB