For the geeks - who has done a DD-WRT router hack?

RVTPilot

I was looking into doing this, only to find that my model isn't supported. So I am looking for a cheapy that is and gonna try hacking away. One of my co-workers at our satellite division in Holliston, MA has done this to a couple and says it was a night and day difference in signal strength and speed. Just wanted to see if anyone else has done this.

The DD website has a complete list of models that will work. I actually thought I had an extra one that was supported, I'd just have to hunt around and see if I still have it. I might have given it to a friend. eGay is your friend!

Besides, I'm pretty sure I hooked up the 51 but have yet to keep it overnight. LOL!

The DD website has a complete list of models that will work. I actually thought I had an extra one that was supported, I'd just have to hunt around and see if I still have it. I might have given it to a friend. eGay is your friend!

Besides, I'm pretty sure I hooked up the 51 but have yet to keep it overnight. LOL!

LOL ya bastid! I did check out the site, and I will be looking for some routers on slickdeals I think.

I've got one running Tomato, and one running DD-WRT. I like Tomato better, but DD-WRT may be your can of worms depending on what you wanna do.

Check Craigslist. Newegg is your friend too.

It's worth the upgrade. Just follow the update instructions and make sure you have the correct version of the firmware. Piece of cake.

I used the Tomato firmware ( http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_Firmware#Supported_devices ) when I did mine.

Cranked up the amplifier a bit, much better strength throughout the manor. It's been 2 or so years since I did it, no issues at all. You <probably> won't notice any speed difference unless you get into packeteering ("give my torrents top priority, everything else takes a back seat").

Chose Tomato as there's only one step, whereas DD-WRT had multiple hoops to jump through.

Advice: Pick up a supported model at Wally World, flash it, if you brick it - take it back.

Slickdeals.net FTW! They often have deals posted on dd-wrt ocmpatible routers, and most of the time it says it in the post title! I don't hang out there very often anymore, as I don't have any $$$ to spend frivolously, but when I'm looking for something, I do check them out. As has already been stated, Newegg is your friend. A large number of deals posted on slickdeals for computer stuff are on newegg!

I almost pulled the trigger on a Asus storage router (I can't remember the model for sure) from newegg to run dd-wrt on it. My router has a broken antenna, and has very little range with the one that's left, although it's fine all through the house, so I may wait until spring, when I may actually need more range.

Me thinks he wants to flash a router, not set up a firewall on an unused machine.

Smoothwall <is> a good product for those looking to do such a thing, however, especially if you're not into iptables. This does involve venturing into the realm of Linux. On this board I've been labeled a "zealot" and been told that "Linux is my religion", so I am not afraid of "teh Linux"...:D

Edited by jblosser