STFU about the flu already!

Likwid

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not this flu that people are afraid of. It's the fear of another pandemic like the Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918. One fifth of the world's population was infected. 675,000 died, that's twice the fatalities of World War One. The average life span in America dropped by 10 years. It struck people between age 20 and 40. It was a sudden and violent death.

For some reason it hit Philadelphia really hard.

Philadelphia had 12,191 reported deaths and 47,094 reported cases in four weeks.

It started in April and May, but was only a mild flu. By the end of the year, it was deadly.

A person could leave the house in the morning feeling ok, and be dead before making it to work.

They would find young men dead on the street, where they were walking.

The lungs would fill with fluids, and the bodies would turn blue/black.

The phone systems stopped working for lack of operators.

At one point, communications with the city were lost, from outside the city.

Pharmacies and groceries were stripped bare quickly, and all stores closed.

Workers in orphanages and rest homes and even hospitals fled in panic.

Young students became stretcher bears hauling patients into the hospitals, only to haul the dead out.

The dead could not be buried fast enough.

Cold storage units were used to store the bodies.

Packing crates were used as coffins.

Delivery trucks were used as ambulances.

Horse drawn wagons started hauling piles of bodies away.

They began digging mass graves...

It was over in 20 days.

It came back twice the next year.

This is what people are afraid will happen again.

Read the story of what happened in Philadelphia:

Death from "The Spanish Lady" - It started with a cough.

medicine has changed quite a bit in 91 years... peoples' fears are unrealistic and largey unrealistic.

Unrealistic AND unrealistic, crazy!

But yes, meds have changed a lot and i agree with you, i dont think there is that much of a need to worry about it. If you get sick, go to the doc. Easy enough to me.

medicine has changed quite a bit in 91 years... peoples' fears are unrealistic and largey unrealistic.

This may be true, but seeing as we don't have a cure for AIDS yet, there is a good possiblity something could come that we have no cure for and wipe out most the population. I also believe this could happen because we have all thos "kill 99.99% of germs" hand wash, people take pills for eveything. I think we are doing more harm this way than letting our bodies build up the immune system. Don't take this to the extreme though and say I am saying if you're in a hospital dying from somthing we could cure with medicine, not to, go for it and cure it.

I dunno, there still isn't any medicine to kill a virus. Only vaccines to prevent violent infection. And viruses can mutate way faster than vaccines are developed.

edit: The Spanish Flu hit people so fast that medicine, doctors and hospitals meant nothing. Couldn't do a thing for a person that didn't know they were sick till they were suddenly dead.

Edited by ReconRat

...there is a good possibility something could come that we have no cure for and wipe out most the population...

About 70,000 years ago, the human population of the Earth was reduced to about 15,000 people. Attributed to the Toba super volcano in Indonesia erupting and changing world climate for a bunch of years. Yeah, it can happen.

About 70,000 years ago, the human population of the Earth was reduced to about 15,000 people. Attributed to the Toba super volcano in Indonesia erupting and changing world climate for a bunch of years. Yeah, it can happen.

I'm not saying it can't or won't, but this is why people are freaking out. No body wants to die, and most people are afraid to die.

If you spend 5 days shitting liquid fire and sweating your ass off and don't drink clear fluids and visit the doctor you deserve death. Call it a mercy killing so you don't have to endure life as a retard anymore.

i can only agree half here. i dont have a "doctor" never have. only use a chiropractor...........

How do you come up with this stuff? You never cease to amaze me sometimes. :lol:

Mad Mod-czar powers? :bow:

Ok, I think I've made up for the grumpy attitude I had toward you earlier! :lol:

I dunno, but the cdc says that the seasonal flu hasn't hit yet, but I know people that have had it? :dunno?

Really? Seriously?

i swear to god. ask my close friends on here. i dont take meds or anything like that and i have to be pretty much suffering to even take a tylenol. i have never liked pumping stuff into my body that isnt supposed to be there (except beer;)) and i pretty much never get sick

i swear to god. ask my close friends on here. i dont take meds or anything like that and i have to be pretty much suffering to even take a tylenol. i have never liked pumping stuff into my body that isnt supposed to be there (except beer;)) and i pretty much never get sick

And you don't believe in condoms because that's unnatural :slap: