Car Vs. Bike

Bluezx6r

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im more interested in the comparisons of bikes vs cars on a road course....ive only even seen one, it was a bade model porsche vs an r1 and the porsche was quicker around the track...i would surely hope a zx14 is quick in a straight line!

car v. bike is largely dependent on the track, but cars are usually faster - they just maintain sooo much more corner speed.

the only time a bike will win is when there are a ton of acceleration zones. favorable power to weight ratio helps the bike there.

from Summit Point, WV

ON 9/19/09

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1321413

C superstock expert (600cc bikes) - best lap 1:15.5

A superstock expert (liter bikes) - best lap 1:15.8 (yes, the 600 was faster)

you can pull car times too, but i don't know what the different classes are to tell you what each car is... at least one car turned a 1:09 there.

It would all depend on what thrill you are looking for... If I had the money I would go with the car though. Corner speed is off the charts and being able to feel cornering g's is way to much fun and pretty indescribable. But in order to have a car that will allow you to feel the cornering g load is going to cost you some big $'s and if you have that much money to begin with you are more than likelly going to be able to spend $10000 on a streetbike as well.

Now bikes are fun as hell in the corners as well, the lean angles you can achieve on stock suspensions nowadays are pretty incredible. And acceleration, good god man you can compare that rush to anything else on the road either. So bikes come in a very close second. But bikes are stupid cheap for the performance you get so in all technicalities I would chose a bike! Which I obviously already have :)

Yeah 1980 635csi grey market. Had the higher comp engine and a dogleg gearbox. Awesome car, unfortunately the prev owner had not only attempted to paint it (looked ok from 20 ft) but had royally screwed up the wiring. Sold it to someone willing to spend the time on it and went straight to bikes.

More gratuitous car pics, she sho was purdy . . .

IMG_0183.jpg

(hated those wheels)

im more interested in the comparisons of bikes vs cars on a road course....ive only even seen one, it was a bade model porsche vs an r1 and the porsche was quicker around the track...i would surely hope a zx14 is quick in a straight line!

Actually Kevin Schwantz did a Test of 01-02 GSXR 1000 and a Z06 Vette at Willow Springs. Schwants was also a National lvl Car racer after his Moto GP career.

At that test Schwantz corner speed on the bike was higher then the Vette in every corner.

Only place the car had the advantage was on the brakes.

Funny test they did was 0-100 and back to 0.

Bike went from 0-100-0 before the vette made 100.

I love bikes but cars can make it around a track. I have been around Nelsons as a passenger in a Z06 at 1:12. This was a street going car and without a whole lot of drama. I have never been timed there but I know I never went that fast around that track on my 600 track bike. The braking and cornering are incredible and the acceleration was more than I expected but still not quite what a bike is.

I love bikes but cars can make it around a track. I have been around Nelsons as a passenger in a Z06 at 1:12. This was a street going car and without a whole lot of drama. I have never been timed there but I know I never went that fast around that track on my 600 track bike. The braking and cornering are incredible and the acceleration was more than I expected but still not quite what a bike is.

1:12 is a pretty impressive time at Nelson. If you're breaking 1:10 on a bike there aren't many WERA experts who will be passing you. I'm sure a Z06 is capable of a sub-1:10 there with a decent driver though.

I think it's undeniably easier to drive a car fast than ride a bike fast. The fact that the car has more cornering potential doesn't mean that the driver knows how to use it though.

Now that said, if most people only use 80% of their car's cornering potential, most riders probably only use 60% of their bike's cornering potential. Even guys who do a lot of trackdays are probably only using 80-90% of the bike's ability. I know there's no way the bike is my limiting factor.

this is my all-time favorite car vs. bike video, but it's comparing a prototype bike to a production nissan, not to mention that it's Freddie fucking Spencer riding the bike.

As much as I hate to admit it, cars should win a race more often - but this vid always makes me smile :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di2MvjGQA10

but you HAVE to point out that they did their lap from a stop, which means there's more acceleration (from 0) than there would be on a flying lap. This plays to the bike's greatest strength, and the car's biggest weakness. I think a flying lap time for both would have been quite a bit closer.

Edited by redkow97