Restaurant carry first hearing 11/5/2009

Likwid

First hearing is scheduled... only sponsors of the bill willl be speaking but OFCC is looking for supports just for the showing.

It's cool the bill will be heard but I still doubt we'll see it passed this congressional session.

Full details here:

http://www.ohioccw.org/200910314667/hb-203-bill-to-remove-ban-on-self-defense-scheduled-for-hearing.html

Edited by Likwid

Found it:

Representative Danny Bubp (R-88) of West Union and Rep. Jarrod Martin (R-70) of Beavercreek have introduced House Bill 203, which seeks to "allow a concealed carry licensee who is not consuming liquor and is not under the influence to carry a concealed handgun in a retail food establishment or food service operation with any class liquor permit issued for the location."

I think that's a fine idea.

Can you explain it?

On my phone otherwise I'd link the bill. HB203 will allow citizens with their conceal carry license be in a restaurant that serves alcohol so long as they don't drink.

Right now walking into an Applebee's while carrying is a felony.

On my phone otherwise I'd link the bill. HB203 will allow citizens with their conceal carry license be in a restaurant that serves alcohol so long as they don't drink.

Right now walking into an Applebee's while carrying is a felony.

I'll post this for you Likwid

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/6710

What follows is the pertinent language from the bill, with the proposed language underlined:

Sec. 2923.121.
(A) No person shall possess a firearm in any room in which any person is consuming liquor in premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or in an open air arena for which a permit of that nature has been issued.

(B)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(e) Any person who is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code and who possesses the firearm in a
retail food establishment or food service operation with any class liquor permit issued for that location under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code, or in a
retail store with D-6 and D-8 permits issued for that store under sections 4303.182 and 4303.184 of the Revised Code or a D-8 permit issued for that store under section 4303.184 of the Revised Code, as long as the person is not consuming liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse.

(F) As used in division (B) of this section, "retail food establishment" and "food service operation" have the same meanings as in section 3717.01 of the Revised Code.

Thanks chevy! This is just common sense legislature... something we seem to lack.

Whats common sense? But yeah, makes complete sense to me. I dont have my CCW yet, I'm saving up the cash for the permit, don't need the class. I have the gun though. S&W M&P 45c

Thanks guys, I'm all for this one. Seems anytime I'm carrying, I wind up eating at a place that serves. I hate locking my gun up in the truck and if I'm on the bike.......... I guess I wont be eating where I want to.........

Sounds like good legislation!

Thanks guys, I'm all for this one. Seems anytime I'm carrying, I wind up eating at a place that serves. I hate locking my gun up in the truck and if I'm on the bike.......... I guess I wont be eating where I want to.........

Sounds like good legislation!

Agreed, "So you want a criminal to steal something out of my car rather than having me concealing a firearm?" It just doesn't make sense.

When I go for rides with folks here and it's time for lunch I say "I'm open to anything, but if you guys want a place that serves alcohol I'll have to meet you up after lunch"... the last ride someone suggested Chipotle, I said "I can't, but I can grab something at the place next door" usually people just say "well let's go somewhere else instead.

We're surrounded by states that allow restaurant carry. Why we don't have it is beyond me. Well' date=' not really.. but it needs fixed. I'm all about it.[/quote']

It's ridiculous, Ohio is so far behind in so many ways.

does this prevent the restaurant owner from putting one of those little 'no gun' signs in the window?

i don't understand how much legal weight those actually carry, but it stands to reason that a private business can disallow people from carrying a gun on the property.

does this prevent the restaurant owner from putting one of those little 'no gun' signs in the window?

i don't understand how much legal weight those actually carry, but it stands to reason that a private business can disallow people from carrying a gun on the property.

No, any private employer/property owner/property manager may prohibit anyone from being in their property for any reason other than protected classes (gender, age, race, creed etc).

So to answer your question, "does this prevent the restaurant owner from putting one of those little 'no gun' signs in the window?" NO, it does not.