leather suit from IP

oldschoolsdime92

Sorry, I should have said, how much WOULD they cost if you wanted to buy them (I realize most companies won't even sell their pro stuff)... looking at IP I'm guessing 1-2k?

Alpinestars rep came in and said that the Nicky Hayden suit we have hanging up would cost over 3 grand to make. All hand made, tailored to the rider.

Realize a few things. Cost is relative vs. an off the shelf suit. At the MotoGP level, they have Kangaroo leather that is hand tailored. Check out the cost of a Haberdasher tailored italian suit execs wear to work. Minimal $5k vs. $100 at the Men's warehouse...

The tailoring is a lot of the cost, but the leather itself is pre selected and only the best is used. The other stuff is also tailored and molded exactly for each rider. Knee guards are not the same most likely from Stoner to Spies, etc...

Also, the Kangaroo leather is then screen printed to keep the edges of the sponsor logos as low profile as they can be. That's another cost that doesn't exist on an off the shelf suit.

Kangaroo is the best choice due to the thinness that can be used. It is thinner yet provides better tear and abrasion resistance that regular leather twice as thick.

However, understand that they usually are good for one crash and that's it. Sure, they may ride off again and continue to race, but unlike a lot of AMA stars, they will not race in them again...

At the AMA level, believe it or not, a lot of stars run off the shelf suits that are customized just like what you and I can have done easily and on the cheap. There are some suits that are used and are similar to the one crash wonders seen in MotoGP, but the technology in MotoGP is where they get the info and R&D done to make suits and street gear better and better...

In the end, I'd say $3k is on the cheap side considering...

Due to me being a fat bastard, I had to have a custom race suit made. Check out http://www.zoonileathers.com/

He makes very high quality hand tailored race suits, and has recently lowered his price down to around $1500, which is what I paid for mine 10 years ago. Very popular among west coast club racers.