i've come across a large gun collection, most of which will be sold

natedogg624

and i need some help. a family member recently passed and left behind ~22 guns and counting.

i know nothing of guns and their value. i know there was a few ar15's, 9's, 45's and more.

where can i go around here to get them appraised, and how would i go about selling them? i would assume i can't sell these guns to any average joe off the street...

also they are up in michigan. i know little of gun transportation, such as ammo and gun in separate areas of the car. Is it against the law to have 20+ guns in the trunk or my car (or the backseat, wherever the proper place is)?

ill post them up when i get pics and more details in this thread, which won't be for a few more weeks once school is over.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my personal opinion is to keep the guns as they was worth something to a loved one... pass them down to your children or pass them along to other family members who will value them more then some joe blow who is willing to buy them from you. worse thing i ever did in my early 20's was sell off my first shotgun i got for xmas when i was 5. i didn't see the value of the gun until the person who bought it for me as a present passed away. now i wish i could find the guy who bought them from me and buy them back... your call though.

my personal opinion is to keep the guns as they was worth something to a loved one... pass them down to your children or pass them along to other family members who will value them more then some joe blow who is willing to buy them from you. worse thing i ever did in my early 20's was sell off my first shotgun i got for xmas when i was 5. i didn't see the value of the gun until the person who bought it for me as a present passed away. now i wish i could find the guy who bought them from me and buy them back... your call though.

Thats my opinion also. I just got a couple from my grandpa, which were given to him by his dad. One is from 1902.

and i need some help. a family member recently passed and left behind ~22 guns and counting.

i know nothing of guns and their value. i know there was a few ar15's, 9's, 45's and more.

where can i go around here to get them appraised, and how would i go about selling them? i would assume i can't sell these guns to any average joe off the street...

also they are up in michigan. i know little of gun transportation, such as ammo and gun in separate areas of the car. Is it against the law to have 20+ guns in the trunk or my car (or the backseat, wherever the proper place is)?

ill post them up when i get pics and more details in this thread, which won't be for a few more weeks once school is over.

i'm not sure of Michigan law but i know for sure that in Ohio you must keep the guns unloaded (magazines, speed loaders, etc.) and the ammo has to be at least in a diff container. Also the weapons cannot be within arms reach of the driver so can't put it in the passenger seat or directly behind the passenger seat or center console or glove compartment, best bet is always trunk. it might even be good to lock them up in their cases or something like that if you can but thats only for precaution for Michigan. All i know about Michigan are their conceal carry laws but that's useless to you. If you do decide to sell them, I would sure as hell be interested too.

ya post up a list if you can. i'm sure some bored members will start throwing offers at you... that's one way to get approximate values for guns.

definitely start searching gun broker.

if you dont know what the gun is, post a pic and we'll try to help as much as possible.

Agree.

Transportation: You're good just make sure they are unloaded.

I might be interested in anything .410 or Winchester/Colt if you do decide to sell.

I have a Blue Book of Gun Values....it's the bible of gun prices and anyone who's anyone that buys and sells uses it. If there's any way for you to get all the information, markings, anything at all off each weapon I would be happy to go through the list and give you the values on each. Now these will be subjective because of condition and without actually seeing each one I won't be able to grade them accordingly.

Let me know if I can help.

As everyone said. Keep them unloaded and chambers open. I would suggest removing the bolts for anything bolt action, and for anything semi auto, lock the action open and put a zip tie through it. I would also recommend you get some type of paperwork explaining that the guns were left to you from a deceased family member. These are just pre-cautions due to having that many firearms in the vehicle with you. Check out gunbroker and current prices to figure out what they are worth however some may be worth more then you think due to something it may have in it, etc that you may miss since you dont know them very well. I may be interested in purchases some if you decide to sell anything. Also, let me know if you want some help going over them for anything unusual, unsafe, etc that would affect the value. I would be more then happy to help. Just pm me if you want any help or have any questions.

Isn't there some kind of interstate legality concerning these weapons?

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_mi.htm

Not if they were left to him via a family member which is why I recommended he get paperwork.. Transporting them specifically for sale is a problem.

Nate, You are at least 21 right?

yea im 21.

as far as selling them, nobody in my family is really into guns, myself included. we will most likely sell them all save for a few to family members that keep what they want. i may keep an ar15 to shoot here and there bc it looks sexy.

they belong to the estate now, so i just need to get the paperwork from the executor. also, we are in close contact with the sheriff and the probate court, so we will make sure we have all the paperwork taken care of before any money exchanges hands.

i will be sure to post up detailed pics with as much info as i know about them here in this thread for information purposes only. There will be separate FS threads for each gun to keep things organized when i do start selling.

expect pics around mid december.

Edited by natedogg624

So' date=' he doesn't have to have them "unregistered" at the Sheriff's office before he can legally own them? I'm only asking because they have registration in Michigan and we don't.[/quote']

At some point, paperwork including a copy of the death certificate will have to be submitted to the state and therefore any firearm in that persons name "should" be unregistered. Since he is not living in MI, he will not have to register those firearms. But like I said, He needs to have paperwork showing that the firearms were left to him by the deceased or the the estate owner.

It wouldnt hurt to call the MI state police and ask them from a generic standpoint what the process needs to include. I would recomend not giving any specific names as they sometimes will try and confiscate and tie up the firearms in legal mumbo jumbo.

Sent you a pm, if you do decide to sell I'll likely be interested... I can help with transportation if that helps, since I have my CCW (OH and MI have reciprocity) that may ease some of the "concern" ... but like most have said. Unloaded with action open is legal for transportation.

Sent you a pm, if you do decide to sell I'll likely be interested... I can help with transportation if that helps, since I have my CCW (OH and MI have reciprocity) that may ease some of the "concern" ... but like most have said. Unloaded with action open is legal for transportation.

You having a CCW has zero relevance in this situation. Just an FYI.

Are you kidding me? FFL guy? Just throw them in the trunk unloaded, action open be smart about it and do what ever you want with them.

If a family member or friend for that matter gives me a gun, I don't care what state they live in, i'm not involving any type of government in the deal.

Next thing ya know we will have to have registered yard sales and won't be able to sell a pocket knife for a $1.

You can privately sell a gun to anyone you wish. No papers needed. Then if your paranoid about the buyer hand write a bill of sale for you to keep.

Some take this stuff way to seriously.

Edited by Gump