Newb but Not-A-Squid

Kaizen

Uh, he said he's into continuous IMPROVEMENT, not BMW's.

Welcome to the site!

I ask because I saw a black 5 series over thanksgiving and the plate said "KAIZEN". First off, usually only engineers exposed to Japanese production methods hear the word Kaizen often. :)

I ask because I saw a black 5 series over thanksgiving and the plate said "KAIZEN". First off, usually only engineers exposed to Japanese production methods hear the word Kaizen often. :)

I knew Kaizen (the word) from my last job, when they were trying to go ISO. Most of what it involved was common sense, but when things are done wrong for so long, it is difficult to get people doing the right things.

Yea, you pay money to some company to 'audit' your paperwork and give you that piece of worthless 8.5" x 11" paper.

You just have to document your processes, even if they're shit processes, if you've got documentation - pay money, get ISO cert. The only reason a lot of companies we work with have ISO is because our supply base makes it a requirement to do business, which makes no sense because I've been on tons of non-ISO supplier visits that I would wholeheartedly award business too over shitty ISO certified businesses. But, buyers don't listen to the engineers because they're in it for low cost and then I get stuck fixing all the issues later on... support costs are never figured into the purchase costs.

:rant:

Yea, you pay money to some company to 'audit' your paperwork and give you that piece of worthless 8.5" x 11" paper.

You just have to document your processes, even if they're shit processes, if you've got documentation - pay money, get ISO cert. The only reason a lot of companies we work with have ISO is because our supply base makes it a requirement to do business, which makes no sense because I've been on tons of non-ISO supplier visits that I would wholeheartedly award business too over shitty ISO certified businesses. But, buyers don't listen to the engineers because they're in it for low cost and then I get stuck fixing all the issues later on... support costs are never figured into the purchase costs.

Ok, last mention in this thread about ISO. At least the company I worked for was seriously trying to do it all right. 6 sigma, 5S, kanban, kaizen, all the buzzwords you can come up with, they were using. Most of the stuff was good, and efficiencies were definitely improving. All of it helps prove that the money was being spent wrong (extorted? greedy bastard). It was all sold off after bankruptcy, then moved to Mexico. Thanks for NAFTA!