BMW's can go 40k miles on an oil change!

RSVDon

I've seen worse! But it didn't run.... 2000 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel, I think the engine had about 20k on it, had to have never been changed, ran low on oil, and possibly on overheating problem.

I let my Intrepid (ithe the notorious 2.7 sludge monster engine) go 6k on the last synthetic oil change, and I'm not happy with how the oil looked, so this time it's going to be 4k. Somewhere in the 4-5k range is probably where I'll keep it with synthetic, and 3k on the button for conventional (which I plan to stay synthetic.) The engine has almost 190k on it, I've had it since about 62k, and except for a rod bearing that started "peeling" (replaced just the bearing, no crank damage or anything, after driving 5-8k miles making noise) no problems with the engine!

lol, I've twice cleaned out inline sixs that had high miles and never had oil changes...

Valve cover came off like a cake pan, leaving a sludge cake on top the head.

It cleans up best if you remove the head completely, which I did.

But the oil return pickup screen in the pan is likely to clog up later anyway.

It's a mess...

lol, I've twice cleaned out inline sixs that had high miles and never had oil changes...

Valve cover came off like a cake pan, leaving a sludge cake on top the head.

It cleans up best if you remove the head completely, which I did.

But the oil return pickup screen in the pan is likely to clog up later anyway.

It's a mess...

So how long and how often do we really need to change oil? If u just changed filters would the gunk never build up?

So how long and how often do we really need to change oil? If u just changed filters would the gunk never build up?

Buy a GM, the PCM will tell you when the oil has degraded.... :nono:

/sarcasm I don't trust that system, and still recommend 3k for conventional and 4-6k (depending on the vehicle) for synthetic.

Someone mentioned VW in this thread, and 10k intervals. I question that for some of their engines. I know for a FACT that if you go too long just a few times on a 1.8t you WILL have issues. I've had to clean out the oil pickup in several of those.

Buy a GM, the PCM will tell you when the oil has degraded.... :nono:

/sarcasm I don't trust that system, and still recommend 3k for conventional and 4-6k (depending on the vehicle) for synthetic.

Someone mentioned VW in this thread, and 10k intervals. I question that for some of their engines. I know for a FACT that if you go too long just a few times on a 1.8t you WILL have issues. I've had to clean out the oil pickup in several of those.

*shrug* 3 year 30k free service, powertrain and bumper to bumper warrrranty... I'll just do what VW tells me...

Mine is the TSI engine, if that makes a difference