Either of these look like good buys?!

JaysonL

So I'm completely new to biking in general and just bought a bike to start riding in spring. In the mean time I was hoping to tinker with a project dirt bike over winter.

I was wondering if either of these bikes look like a potentially good deal on a project bike (something that won't take 100's to get running, not too shot too hell)?! You guys being dirt riders would know better than anyone. Any advice is welcome.-Jayson

Look for something in better condition and a bit higher in price. If your going to dump good money into a bike make sure it's a bike worth dumping money into. Some day you might wanna sell it and I'm sure you'd like to get more than what you paid for it after spending twice that just to make it run.:rolleyes:

Try something like this:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1511771634.html

or if you want something smaller:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1511700222.html

or closer to you?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/1511124033.html

Or get a dual sport and enjoy the best of both worlds.;)

^ I'm with Buildit. the 04 125 is what you want to be looking at. A little more money at first, but much less headache down the road. Good rideable fun. Just make sure you get a title for whatever you get if you want to be able to ride on the state trails.

Well, I'm now the proud owner of a 70's Penton 125cc Six Day that I will be restoring to its previous glory over the winter. My Dad and I are cleaning out the go-kart trailer and bringing it home saturday morning. So that's when I'll get some pics up and keep you guys updated on the project!

She ain't gonna be a monster, but she's sure gonna be a piece of work when I'm done. :D

Well, I'm now the proud owner of a 70's Penton 125cc Six Day that I will be restoring to its previous glory over the winter. My Dad and I are cleaning out the go-kart trailer and bringing it home saturday morning. So that's when I'll get some pics up and keep you guys updated on the project!

She ain't gonna be a monster, but she's sure gonna be a piece of work when I'm done. :D

How much, if I can ask? Penton's have a definite following and I highly recomend taking it to VMD at Mid Ohio if you have it restored by summer.;)

I wouldn't get a bike like that because if I put the love into it I'd never have the heart to take it out in the dirt and mud.:D But it would look great sitting in the living room.:rolleyes:

How much, if I can ask? Penton's have a definite following and I highly recomend taking it to VMD at Mid Ohio if you have it restored by summer.;)

I wouldn't get a bike like that because if I put the love into it I'd never have the heart to take it out in the dirt and mud.:D But it would look great sitting in the living room.:rolleyes:

Well it was free given that my uncle's too old to be wanting to restore it or ride it. As for how much I'm going to have to put into it hopefully not too much. First thing is a new air filter and intake for the carb (which has disappeared while it sat in his garage.

I'll throw up some pics of what I had to work with this morning, although they're off my phone so not the best quality or detail. I'll ask my Dad to use the camera tonight!

Anyway, I've started to make head way just taking off the number plates, air filter and I'm working on getting the seat off. From there I've got the carb off so I just need to wrench it apart and clean that shit out along with air duct thingy that leads from the filter to the carb.

Congrats dude.

Oh, and thank you! :D

Alright guys....

So I'm havin trouble getting the clutch off. I got the outer 3-pronged plate off but can't for the life of me get the actual clutch off.... any thoughts?!

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz280/JaysonL77/DirtyBikeProject005.jpg