Where do you ride off-road

redkow97

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox,

Is there an index of sites, or do you manage to keep this stuff in your head? :-)

IE, I'm looking into the same thing in my area (SWO, a little dying town called Dayton) and want to find out if there are other areas nearby, other than just Wayne

-b

All those tracks are just local to me and the 1's I frequent the most.

pitracer.com is a off-road specific web-site for in and around Ohio, it is a pay site though and I believe it's $12 a year. I am a member there as well.

I 2nd that about Briarcliff's B track. Also Lightning Raceway and Malvern's jumps aren't bad either.

ha, I just realized briarcliff is a place that I stumbled on when out exploring one day. It seemed to be the end of the session on sunday and I just rode in.

I was watching the "B" track (called the C track now) and some guy says "If you just sit there, you'll never go!"

No thanks! I'm just here to watch. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
the danger involved in dirt riding is something I'm not thrilled about.

Out of all the trackday guys I've met, or talk to online, the only one who has died riding was on a dirtbike...

I'll still consider one, but I might be pickier than most about where I'll ride.

Never would have guessed that.

Ive been riding quads for about 3 or 4 years, and just bought a dirt bike this spring. (Though locked up the engine the first time we took it out) Been riding street for almost 30 years, but more now w the new zx10 than ever. I would never have thought dirt riding was more dangerous than street or track. I mean were talking 140mph on street/track. I go down doin 140 I just may not get up. Were talking idiots on a DAILY basis trying to kill me. I feel like im in a Frogger video game when Im on the street, constantly dodging todays idiot, t bones, flying cigarette butts, random dear, racoons, birds, etc.

Not arguing, (especially since I am still a newb in so many ways) just curious of your reasons why

This is a friend of mine wrist after clearing a 86' jump then collided with 2 dipshits having a chat on the tranny. This happened that last weekend in June and I think he just had his 5th surgery to repair his wrist and should be back riding around April of next year.

Make sure you have good medical insurance if you ride off road or on.

Nickswrist.jpg

This is a friend of mine wrist after clearing a 86' jump then collided with 2 dipshits having a chat on the tranny. This happened that last weekend in June and I think he just had his 5th surgery to repair his wrist and should be back riding around April of next year.

Make sure you have good medical insurance if you ride off road or on.

That's why I have no interested in jumping and stick to trail riding. ;-)

Well, I can speak from experience on going from road race to MX, etc...

I retired back a while ago and thought that MX and Supermoto racing would fill that void. I could still compete - doesn't matter what we do, we like competition - and still be on two wheels...

I was racing some C MX events. Did about mid pack on all of them. The Supermoto stuff was fun for sure and was up front with most of the local stuff and did OK at some outside orgas at places like Beaver, etc...

HOWEVER, two things became apparent.

1) Injuries. Got hurt more on MX bikes than road racing for 12 years to that point. Off road racing and riding are going to get you injured and it is simply a part of the process...

2) it wasn't remotely the same. Even supermoto. Just didn't fill the need or the desire...

Off road riding and racing is awesome. I am part of it even more than ever before with the job I have and would recommend it to ANYONE. But, for me, my heart is where there is pavement on a closed course. Will never be able to fill that void.

Can you muster through for a few years? I am sure you can and you can find that off road riding and MX, etc will give you so much more respect to the guys that do it well. It's like taking a woods guy or an MX guy and slapping them on a GSXRR6ZXCBR and throwing them out at Mid-Ohio and asking them to run sub :30 times... I'd say do whatever you need to do. Who knows? Maybe it will be what you hoped for and will want nothing more to do with road based stuff...

Won't know til ya try it!

yeah im just starting to ride on dirt and there is no similarity. yes its something to do on 2 wheels but its a completely different activity.

I'm the complete opposite. I find dirt to be much more fulfilling than road racing/course riding.

Guess just different strokes. I'm not racing or competitive on either, but I prefer dirt & woods riding vastly to track days for a slew of reasons.

I find dirt to be much more fulfilling than road racing/course riding.

I think there is so much more to it when your line choice is affected by available traction and changing every lap. Asphalt is almost mind numbing just trying to hit your marks lap after lap...

I'm the complete opposite. I find dirt to be much more fulfilling than road racing/course riding.

Guess just different strokes. I'm not racing or competitive on either, but I prefer dirt & woods riding vastly to track days for a slew of reasons.

oh i dont prefer one over the other... yet. just stating that dirt riding wont fill the need for track racing, different animal.

Asphalt is almost mind numbing just trying to hit your marks lap after lap...

Actually, that's a partial component why I prefer dirt. Asphalt demands hypervigilance to a line and mechanics. It's a rigid, almost as if I'm choreographing my body and mind to steps of a dance. When I'm not riding it, I visualize it as such.

In the woods, it's fluid and dynamic, and my mind even tho it's processing the trail and moves, is flowing and not concentrating so much. I get into a flow, a rythmn, instead of hyper-focus. I like both, don't get me wrong, but dirt gives me more of a "zen" feeling than asphalt.

I say that as a layman tho....more immersion in either might change my opinion somewhat.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have rode:

Perry, Wayne, Wellsville, Rumble on the ridge, Tip up town in Michigan, Providence W.V.. Hockingport, Ohio, Dexter City, Ohio,

Edited by Gump