possible hunting land I am looking at?

speedytriple

I tried the hunting club thing once. You need to set harvest specification, camping clauses, guest limits, agree on land uses and create a schedule to hunt. Food plots and mineral sites need to be discussed too.

I was 1/12 owner of a 500 acre spread near Albany in Vinton County. We had a couple of members who decided that it was ok for them to camp down their on the weekend and ride their dirt bikes and 3 wheelers all over the place. Not to mention they shot the place up. Their friends started hanging out down there too. With out permission.

When we bought it we had quail, a few turkey, grouse, squirrel and lots a deer. Not to mention it was beautiful. When I sold out it was a waste land. Shotgun shell casings every where beer cans everywhere, and Not a single living creature to hunt.

When scouting tree stand locations the year I sold out, I was just bout ran over by a guy on an atc who promptly turned around and told me to get off HIS property. I carry a copy of the deed and title with me when I was down there. I suggested he call the sheriff and met me back at my truck and we will talk to the sheriff. He disappeared, no sheriff. While scouting, there was absolutely no sign, So I put my stand where I had success in the passed. Opening day, I get on the stand before first light, it was beautiful I hear a car door followed by another.....20 minutes later I hear a dirt bike fire up. It was one of the other owners brought his son and a "few" of his buddys out to ride.

Well it was a wasted day.

It was 20 years ago now.......I regret selling it, but I participated in it for some where to hunt.

Just be careful of who you let join.

Well said, great info.

If you have an attitude of you can hunt or ride on it because it's not posted or when someone gives "you" permission to hunt somewhere and you bring a "few" buddies assuming it's ok without asking or you assume that means it's ok anytime for the next decade. I don't want anything to do with you.

Edited by Gump

That is why I would prefer to keep the numbers small. Say 4-5 people buying in. And there would be set limits as to who would be able to have access to the use of the land. I dont want this to turn into a moto cross park, or a hill billy shooting range. I am looking for a few like minded people who enjoy hunting, and respect limits. Shooting can be done if the shooters respect the land enough to clean up after they are done. With the right people it can be a positive thing, with the wrong people it could turn out bad.

To be honest.....It would be much easier today than 20 years ago.

just shoot out a group email or create a yahoo group with calendar. Piece of cake.

I forgot to mention work days. You need scheduled work days on the property that everyone must attend. There was 4 of us doing all of the work. We planted 200 red and white oak trees we got from the state. We also created some paths and brush pile to route the game where we wanted.

I don't like my hunting area being used a rifle or shotgun range. But that is just me.

What do those trees look like today? The state doesn't offer seedlings anymore.:-(

I wouldn't like it being a shooting range either. A quite place to go and you know who's been there and who's going to be there. I'd think hunting season would be off limits for plinking especially if someone else is there or some body's bow hunting.

I like the calendar idea. I wouldn't go rabbit hunting if someone's bow hunting. It would just take common sense with a respectful group of people.

A tree farmer around me allows certain people to hunt but you have to place a flag at certain points to signal your hunting a certain section and of course one jerk always leaves his flag up overnight. Which is against the rules. I don't hunt there but it's the same guy I allowed to hunt on my property once and he's the bring his buddies, there everyday type. My neighbor. Everyone has issues with him. I like to come home and if i wanted to go hunting know that him and 5 buddies didn't just go thru it. I really don't understand him.

Edited by Gump

I am happy. I thought about moving once and then my cousin talked sense into me by explaining he can't find a place to shoot clays or target shoot.

I'd be interested in your first post location, not that your looking for a buying partner but my brother has the same type of property on the corner of the Muskingum and Wolf creek.

I spoke with someone about the LLC idea. It's a good thing. It provides protection from personal liabilty,LLC, and he also suggested Keyman insurance to help reduce death taxes and other situations. He prefers corporations based on corporate rule books are not well established concerning LLC's due to them being fairly new.

Edited by Gump

Well, I was down a year or so ago. The place is a disaster. The trees should be 30 feet tall by now producing nuts. except they cleared most of them for a camp ground and more parking. They build a shanty shooting range and built a berm. There are horse and atv trails throughout the property. It is almost like a commercial outdoor place, except no one gives a shit.

The LLC is a good idea.