Good first SLR

Dweezel

Okay, need a gift for the woman, she's into photography pretty big and had a pretty nice hybrid but due to unfavorable circimstances lost it. Her friend bought her a cheap ass 100 Walmart camera as a Maid of honour fife for being in her wedding, and even though she won't admit it, she hates it, I hate it and I don't take many pics.

Now, I'd like to get her a nice first starter DSLR but I'm about as clueless they get when it comes to these things. So guys and girls, feed me some info. Hell sell me your old cams even. I need something.

Do you have any existing film lenses? If not, the field is open. The two big ones have a model for the price you mentioned. Both are listed above. I shoot professionally with Nikon, and their products have always been excellent. Canon also puts out an excellent product. Either one is a good start. Sony bought out Minolta, and their A230 is a good price point camera too. Though not as extensive a line up, it is thorough enough. Pentax and Olympus too have a camera in that bracket. I wouldn't go out of my way for them...

either or.

Maybe find a way to have her hold them and get an idea which one she prefers. I think best buy carries them and maybe you could 'accidentally' bump into the camera section.

Usually the biggest difference between the Canon and Nikon is how it feels to hold and how the menu's function.

either or.

Maybe find a way to have her hold them and get an idea which one she prefers. I think best buy carries them and maybe you could 'accidentally' bump into the camera section.

Usually the biggest difference between the Canon and Nikon is how it feels to hold and how the menu's function.

The quality and features is pretty close on both, most of the time. I haven't compared any of the lower models lately, but they usually one-up the other on a feature or 2 with each new model, but many of the features aren't things that you NEED in a good camera anyway, or at least not as important as camera feel, control layout and menus. So yeah, fondle them both and see who fits better.

With that said, Canon FTW! Story over! :lol:

i had an old Minolta STSI 35mm that had 18-55 and a 55-300 lenses. i've been looking at the Sony Alpha line since it uses the same lenses. i haven't used the Minolta in a few years since getting some point N shoot digitals. The Sony a330 10.2 MP seems to be a good starter point. it has alot of the same features and menus as point n shoot cameras but also the slr options. look into it. i know they are ruuning sales on these. i seen them for about $549 with a 18-55 lenses.

I have a good intuition that the wife has already got me the A330 so i may have a review here soon. :)

linkie - http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665887570

Edited by Fonzie
Sorry... Still getting used to having an extra button. Edit's where Quote used to be ;)

i had an old Minolta STSI 35mm that had 18-55 and a 55-300 lenses. i've been looking at the Sony Alpha line since it uses the same lenses. i haven't used the Minolta in a few years since getting some point N shoot digitals. The Sony a330 10.2 MP seems to be a good starter point. it has alot of the same features and menus as point n shoot cameras but also the slr options. look into it. i know they are ruuning sales on these. i seen them for about $549 with a 18-55 lenses.

I have a good intuition that the wife has already got me the A330 so i may have a review here soon. :)

linkie - http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665887570

What happened to Minolta?? Seems like they disappeared once things went predominantly digital

Bought up by sony.

Ahhhhhh.... Did not know that!

Sony's are pretty much Minolta with a sony name. all Minolta lenses will fit Sony's

Buddy took some really nice dusk/night shots in D.C this past spring with his Sony, at the Korean, Vietnam & Iwo Jima memorials. Came out much lighter than my Canon's. I just can't stand how Sony always uses their own goofy proprietary memory stix rather than industry standard SD cards