• Metallic Red
    • Copper
    • Gloss Black
    • Black and Yellow
    • Orange
    • Color Shifting Black
    • Stock-Decals and all
    • Other-Post comment

I saw your post over on Paul's Thread and thought I would help you out a bit on the "Flat" clear.

Its just that...It clear that a flattening agent has been added to to make it appear flat over the base color. THe gloss ratio can be adjusted when they mix the flattener in for you and more of it will create a flatter look while less will create a "Watte" look.

I assume without reading through this thread you are planning on using a real Gun and Real Paint(base, clear) and not trying to do this out of a rattle can.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw your post over on Paul's Thread and thought I would help you out a bit on the "Flat" clear.

Its just that...It clear that a flattening agent has been added to to make it appear flat over the base color. THe gloss ratio can be adjusted when they mix the flattener in for you and more of it will create a flatter look while less will create a "Watte" look.

I assume without reading through this thread you are planning on using a real Gun and Real Paint(base, clear) and not trying to do this out of a rattle can.

Hope this helps a bit.

Yeah, real gun, real paint. We mix paint and paint at my shop. Mostly cars, just recently did a Harley. Don't know that we have done any "flat" stuff so wasn't sure as to agents, ratios and all that. Just trying to get as much info before I go through with it. So you say to use a normal clear coat with a flattening agent added to it. Whats a good ratio for a pretty flat black paint color? Thanks Matt.

White, maybe with a bit of pearl to it, but not neccessary. I love solid white bikes where the frame, wheels, etc give it heavy contrast.

Ugh, I hate white bikes, except for a few show only ones. Especially mine with a silver frame showing would just be too much. And I am not up to painting the frame. :D

Hey figure out what brand of paint line you use and i can tell you the steps of how to achive the flat look. Its all done with a flattening agent that is mixed into the clear. The ratio's will change depending on how flat you want the finish to be. Whether it be semi gloss, eggshell, or a true flat no gloss. Ive done sevearl Ducati's to match the factory flat black and have to go with the eggshell.

Let me know Id be happy to give you some guidance.

Hey figure out what brand of paint line you use and i can tell you the steps of how to achive the flat look. Its all done with a flattening agent that is mixed into the clear. The ratio's will change depending on how flat you want the finish to be. Whether it be semi gloss, eggshell, or a true flat no gloss. Ive done sevearl Ducati's to match the factory flat black and have to go with the eggshell.

We have the Wanda paint system. It's pretty cheap, but has worked out really well for us. We can get any of the Akzo Nobel stuff though.

Jporter, what brand of paint do we use? I don't remember. I'm looking to go as flat as I can without not having some protection for the paint, so from what I have read I guess that is the eggshell.

It doesnt matter how flat you go that has nothing to do with the protection level. All the flattening agent does is dull the gloss of the clear. You still have a fully protected surface just like a full gloss clear.

Ok. I guess the eggshell would be the best. I want it fairly dull. You have any pictures painted with the eggshell?

so the black and yellow idea went right out the window... LOL I'm thinking about doing a high gloss metallic black and a bright metallic yellow on the katana... and a celtic theme on the cruiser with pearl white, silver metallic, and a deep forest green.... whatcha think?

so the black and yellow idea went right out the window... LOL I'm thinking about doing a high gloss metallic black and a bright metallic yellow on the katana... and a celtic theme on the cruiser with pearl white, silver metallic, and a deep forest green.... whatcha think?

Hey, I put your idea in the poll. :D But the more I think of the flat black the more I like it. I haven't seen your Katana so I don't know, but black and yellow usually go well together. The cruiser would look sweet with that scheme though.

Negative to the sanding and not buffing. You would see either the d/a marks from sanding with a d/a or the finger marks from wet sanding because even if you were to try and use a block you can possibly get a block into every crevice. Not to mention thats way more work considering youve got to clear it either way.

No doubt way more work.

The flattening agent does the work for you.

You just have to get the gloss level you want ight and then its as easy as spraying it on...It will all dry the cosistent flat finish you have picked.

KISS...Keep it Simple Stupid....Always remember this.

Thanks V4junkie, your vote(s) were very helpful hahaha.

Anyways I am going with, drumroll please,.........eggshell black. Thanks to everone's help. I will post up when it is finally done. Hope it turn out well.

Attackpainter, I'll probably be PM'ing you later to get some specifics figured out if you don't mind.