• Orange
    • Color Shifting Black
    • Stock-Decals and all
    • Other-Post comment

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious vote now.... Gloss black, but it has to be the black the guys just put on that harley for Mike.

You also need to do flush mount turn signals, and SOMETHING with those bubbles....I mean mirrors....

That was a sweet black. And I am planning on getting different mirrors. I think I know where my elbows are now. lol

No hookers and blow option means no valid poll :(

Damnit, can a mod add Hookers and blow for Likwid? :p

I was joking. Yes, if you clearcoat flat black it becomes gloss black. Flat does scuff really easy. Like, brush your leg on it and it scuffs, easy.

I've painted a few times from a gun with base coat, clear or acrylic enamel.

I bet there is some sort of paint out there that remains flat that's scuff resistent and not called LineX.

I stole this from this site. The "matte" black looks awesome in the first car.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/other-cars/105953-flat-black-paint-jobs.html

First off, there is a difference between flat black and a matte black. The cars you posted pictures of are not examples of flat black paint jobs; they are black with a matte finish. Huge difference when you see it in person. Matte finishes have an almost coarse texture to them, but they still reflect light and have a slight shine to them (even though it's not glossy). Think of matte finishes when you develop a photograph.

No matter what you have heard, matte finishes (especially in black) are going to show scratches like a bitch and get dirty EXTREMELY fast. I think they look neat at an event or in photos, but I wouldn't want it on anything but a trailored showcar.

And by trailored showcar I don't mean a WRX. The cars you posted are high-dollar rides and pull that off a little easier than a sub-$30,000 Subie. OK, the M5 isn't that out of reach, but it's still a specialty car. Regardless, flat-finishes (matte or otherwise) are going to be the next big ricer rage, you just watch. Any asshole with a can of black spraypaint can replicate the look in the same way as cutting your springs shortcuts a coilover suspension: it's quick and cheap.

Most people will simply think you are sporting primer on an unpainted car. If you are sold on matte finishes, consider doing it in a lighter shade, or even a standard color like red or blue. Better yet, only do particular sections in the matte finish and keep the other sections glossy--either along a body line, or get wild and do a glossy design over the matte base color. Post a picture of your car if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Gump

I was joking. Yes, if you clearcoat flat black it becomes gloss black. Flat does scuff really easy. Like, brush your leg on it and it scuffs, easy.

I've painted a few times from a gun with base coat, clear or acrylic enamel.

I bet there is some sort of paint out there that remains flat that's scuff resistent and not called LineX.

they make a flat clear that is flat.

Check with attackpainter to see what works best if this is the route you take.

Oh Gawd here we go........

Jporter "Im fast, I ride better than you, Johnstown roads are the shizzy" :lol:

Nothing even close to that was inferred.... Johnstown roads are straight, for the most part. And I don't think I'm even CLOSE to being fast on the bike.

:lol: + 100 to you.

:bigfinger:

It sounds like you speak from experience? But if it gets cleared, will that ruin the matte finish?

Attackpainter (I think) was talking in another thread (if I find it I'll edit this post) about the matte finish paints on some of the newer bikes being a clearcoat with a "flettening agent" in it. We'll have to see if Chad can get that for the stuff we use....

they make a flat clear that is flat.

Check with attackpainter to see what works best if this is the route you take.

I'll have to talk to him on this.

Nothing even close to that was inferred.... Johnstown roads are straight, for the most part. And I don't think I'm even CLOSE to being fast on the bike.

:bigfinger:

Attackpainter (I think) was talking in another thread (if I find it I'll edit this post) about the matte finish paints on some of the newer bikes being a clearcoat with a "flettening agent" in it. We'll have to see if Chad can get that for the stuff we use....

I'll have to ask Chad, or if you see him first...

I've never tried a clear coat over flat black.

But there are semi-gloss or "non-specular" type gloss black you can use.

The paint on my 919 isn't gloss and isn't flat.

It's a matt semi-gloss clear coat over black that is a pain in butt, I bet.

I think it's called a semi-gloss (or mat) eggshell clear coat. (Honda paint code NH436)

The Colorrite disclaimer says the one step won't hold up as well as the mat eggshell clear coat.

There's both a one step mat black that matches it pretty close

and a system of semi-gloss clear coat for use over primary coat.

It was used by Honda in 2002 and 2003 and 2004. (Called Asphalt Black)

one step mat finish flat black color coat:

http://www.colorrite.com/product/honda-nh436-asphalt-1404.cfm

eggshell mat finish clear coat (KK8) for over a gloss primary color coat (urethane clear coat):

http://www.colorrite.com/product/eggshell-urethane-clearcoat-pint-kit-1066.cfm

http://www.colorrite.com/product/aerosol-kk8-eggshell-clearcoat-kit-1008.cfm

The one step is for matching existing eggshell paint jobs, since it's hard to match up.

And the mat clear coat is for painting it all from scratch.

I have no idea what the mat clear looks like over any other color other than black.

Never seen it done, but the eggshell mat finish is recently popular.

I'm sure there are some used by other manufacturers.

One more thing, if you paint the tank, use a paint or clear coat that is fuel proof.

edit: There are also clearcoat systems that will produce an eggshell, satin, or semi-gloss finish,

depending on which of three types of additives are mixed in with the clearcoat.

Sherman-Williams example (PDF)

ok, the pdf locks up my computer, try this quick view instead:

Quick view

Edited by ReconRat

I've never tried a clear coat over flat black.

But there are semi-gloss or "non-specular" type gloss black you can use.

The paint on my 919 isn't gloss and isn't flat.

It's a matt semi-gloss clear coat over black that is a pain in butt, I bet.

I think it's called a semi-gloss (or mat) eggshell clear coat. (Honda paint code NH436)

The Colorrite disclaimer says the one step won't hold up as well as the mat eggshell clear coat.

There's both a one step mat black that matches it pretty close

and a system of semi-gloss clear coat for use over primary coat.

It was used by Honda in 2002 and 2003 and 2004. (Called Asphalt Black)

one step mat finish flat black color coat:

http://www.colorrite.com/product/honda-nh436-asphalt-1404.cfm

eggshell mat finish clear coat (KK8) for over a gloss primary color coat (urethane clear coat):

http://www.colorrite.com/product/eggshell-urethane-clearcoat-pint-kit-1066.cfm

http://www.colorrite.com/product/aerosol-kk8-eggshell-clearcoat-kit-1008.cfm

The one step is for matching existing eggshell paint jobs, since it's hard to match up.

And the mat clear coat is for painting it all from scratch.

I have no idea what the mat clear looks like over any other color other than black.

Never seen it done, but the eggshell mat finish is recently popular.

I'm sure there are some used by other manufacturers.

One more thing, if you paint the tank, use a paint or clear coat that is fuel proof.

edit: There are also clearcoat systems that will produce an eggshell, satin, or semi-gloss finish,

depending on which of three additives are mixed in with the clearcoat.

Sherman-Williams example (PDF)

ok, the pdf locks up my computer, try this quick view:

Quick view

Ya know, you don't post a hell of a lot, but when you do, you give a lot of info. Props to you. I'll look into that stuff.

He's good there, the "tank" is actually a cover....

Yep, the tank you see on the bike is just a plastic cover over the tank and airbox. But what I think what was meant was around the filler in case of spilt fuel.

Gump has a great Idea. Line-x it.

ummm....has that ever been done? On a sportsbike? :wtf::lol: