• Metallic Red
    • Copper
    • Gloss Black
    • Black and Yellow
    • Orange
    • Color Shifting Black
    • Stock-Decals and all
    • Other-Post comment

Deciding if I want to repaint my bike this winter. It has some cracks and scratches when the previous owner laid it down so I want to fix those. So I'm thinking of repainting the whole thing. Not sure of what color(s) to go with. I thought of a gloss/metallic black. I will be painting this myself so don't want anything too complicated. Any ideas? Here a pic of how it is now.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1992 Chevy Corvette Admiral blue metallic.

It has tons of white pearl in it. Looks awesome. Gives it depth.

Or just have the paint guy add a bunch of pearl to any color. Cost some money though.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/09/autos/car_colors/index.htm

Edited by Gump

1992 Chevy Corvette Admiral blue metallic.

It has tons of white pearl in it. Looks awesome. Gives it depth.

Or just have the paint guy add a bunch of pearl to any color. Cost some money though.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/09/autos/car_colors/index.htm

Yeah I'm on a budget. I repainted my Ninja blue so I don't want to do this in blue. I do think that would look really good though.

How extensive is the damage? I'm asking because it's probably more practical to restore the busted parts. And the resale value holds up better that way. Deciding factor might be how much the stickers and decals are going to cost, if they have to be replaced. That holds true for a complete paint job also. The vinyl stickers/decals are expensive.

It's a 1996, so I suppose it doesn't matter much either way. Most bikes eventually get painted and do without the original markings.

Ok, black is nice, but it's a difficult color to paint up. I wouldn't think so, I mean it's black. But it's touchy about temperature and humidity when it's painted. And often black paint cracks a year or two later. Funky spider cracks all over the places where it was too thick or coats applied too soon. Ok, most of my experience is with lacquers, enamels might be easier in some ways.

But anyway, if it were me, I'd consider restoring the paint on any parts worth keeping, and trying to come up with something interesting but different from stock, for the parts that need the paint and repair. And skip the expensive stickers/decals, but maybe use some low cost stuff. There's a ton of aftermarket stickers/decals to use. Something that works with the stock parts that are ok. So that would be mostly black and the stock red color. Adding accents of yellow and orange would work well for a harmonious color scheme. Optional would be adding purple and blue to the basic red.

If you really want to paint the entire bike (but not the frame), I'd think that the large area of silver frame showing, would work with a two tone blue scheme, or a bronze/gold kind of thing. The original red and black works too. The silver is a neutral color, so any color paint should work ok.

black and yellow....

That might look cool.

How extensive is the damage? I'm asking because it's probably more practical to restore the busted parts. And the resale value holds up better that way. Deciding factor might be how much the stickers and decals are going to cost, if they have to be replaced. That holds true for a complete paint job also. The vinyl stickers/decals are expensive.

It's a 1996, so I suppose it doesn't matter much either way. Most bikes eventually get painted and do without the original markings.

Ok, black is nice, but it's a difficult color to paint up. I wouldn't think so, I mean it's black. But it's touchy about temperature and humidity when it's painted. And often black paint cracks a year or two later. Funky spider cracks all over the places where it was too thick or coats applied too soon. Ok, most of my experience is with lacquers, enamels might be easier in some ways.

But anyway, if it were me, I'd consider restoring the paint on any parts worth keeping, and trying to come up with something interesting but different from stock, for the parts that need the paint and repair. And skip the expensive stickers/decals, but maybe use some low cost stuff. There's a ton of aftermarket stickers/decals to use. Something that works with the stock parts that are ok. So that would be mostly black and the stock red color. Adding accents of yellow and orange would work well for a harmonious color scheme. Optional would be adding purple and blue to the basic red.

If you really want to paint the entire bike (but not the frame), I'd think that the large area of silver frame showing, would work with a two tone blue scheme, or a bronze/gold kind of thing. The original red and black works too. The silver is a neutral color, so any color paint should work ok.

The damage isn't too bad, nothing I can't and won't fix. The decals are damaged on the right side, but I prefer the cleaner look so I will probably remove them all. The frame will stay silver. Thats kinda of why I thought black would look really good with the silver frame.

You could use the black I'm doing on mine... its a honda color called flamenco black. It looks deep black, but at the right angles there is blue pearl. there is a another version of the same color with green pearl instead. OR you could get that color on the new chryslers...... it looks black at angles, but is a graphite with a s**t load of metallic. Using todays base/clears makes paint work easier, but can still be fk'd up. Just be sure and get everything clean and take your time not laying heavy coats. Depends on what paint you go with on expense........ just don't buy the cheapest. You really do get whay ya pay for in paint.................

You could use the black I'm doing on mine... its a honda color called flamenco black. It looks deep black, but at the right angles there is blue pearl. there is a another version of the same color with green pearl instead. OR you could get that color on the new chryslers...... it looks black at angles, but is a graphite with a s**t load of metallic. Using todays base/clears makes paint work easier, but can still be fk'd up. Just be sure and get everything clean and take your time not laying heavy coats. Depends on what paint you go with on expense........ just don't buy the cheapest. You really do get whay ya pay for in paint.................

We paint at my shop, we have a pretty decent paint that we use, although I don't remember what brand. Thanks for the ideas. You paint professionally dont ya?

Ask shitty or flounder. It looks mean, is cheap and easy to apply and easy as hell to touch up.

Hmm, maybe...what do you think?

picture_137.jpg

And lose the decals FTW

Duh, thats a given. :)

Exactly! Gotta be unique.

This is the closest I could find. I think I dig the flat black more the the red. I see more red bikes than the black...

IMG_0744.JPG

Its flat black, whats not to love? ;)

Your wheels aren't white are they?

Edit: went back and looked. Flat black would be perfect for that bike IMO.

No way, I don't like white wheels at all. That flat black is growing on me though. :D

Poll added-Vote!