SWing'R mobile repair saga continues....

SWing'R

Just talked to the mgr for an update' date=' when they brought it in from the lot this morning the light was off and it started and ran ok.[/quote']

I'm calling :bs: on this one! If the light came on during the trip over there, on steady, not flashing it would still be on until it ran through 3 or so warm up cycles without the problem occurring again. It's in the OBD2 :rulez:. That is unless it wasn't an OBD2 code, but a manufacturer code that set, then it can work however Mazda wants to do it. If the car was shaking, a misfire, it would be a P0300 - P0304 code, which should not go away on the very next start.

Maybe Mazda has a loophole I don't know about though? :dunno:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm calling :bs: on this one! If the light came on during the trip over there, on steady, not flashing it would still be on until it ran through 3 or so warm up cycles without the problem occurring again.

This morning the light was FLASHING. Anyway, here are all the codes that the thing put out since this all started...

P0301, P0303, P0421, P0300, and I believe thats the order in which they were all received from the start up until today.

I got the car home now, they replaced the ignition coils and cleaned the EGR valve like I mentioned earlier.

Just like repair #3, this was a freebie, cost us nothing "additional". Here is the invoice for Repair #4

The wife is out running some errands with the car and I plan on driving it extensively tomorrow to see how it goes (fingers crossed).

This morning the light was FLASHING. Anyway' date=' here are all the codes that the thing put out since this all started...

[b']P0301, P0303, P0421, P0300, and I believe thats the order in which they were all received from the start up until today.

I got the car home now, they replaced the ignition coils and cleaned the EGR valve like I mentioned earlier.

Just like repair #3, this was a freebie, cost us nothing "additional". Here is the invoice for Repair #4

The wife is out running some errands with the car and I plan on driving it extensively tomorrow to see how it goes (fingers crossed).

P0300 - random/multiple cylinder misfire (multiple since P0301 and P0303 are thrown as well)

P0301 - cylinder 1 misfire

P0303 - cylinder 3 misfire

P0421 - o2 sensor past cat detecting cat isn't working properly (bad plug, bad o2 sensor, or bad catalytic converter)

All leading me to believe it's fouled out plugs, just bad or possibly caused by an o2 sensor reporting bad data back to the ecu (IE: if the o2 sensor is saying the car is running lean when it isn't, it'll dump too much fuel into the cylinders causing the plugs to foul which causes misfires). Just my two cents though, and I'm not a mechanic so my two cents isn't worth shit.

All leading me to believe it's fouled out plugs, just bad or possibly caused by an o2 sensor reporting bad data back to the ecu. Just my two cents though, and I'm not a mechanic so my two cents isn't worth shit.

The plugs, cables, both O2 sensors, both catalytic convertors and now the ignition coils have ALL been replaced. Hopin its nailed now.

BTW, they showed me the original catalytic convertor, and while I've never seen the inside of a new one, the inside of mine looked like royal shit.

The plugs' date=' cables, both O2 sensors, both catalytic convertors and now the ignition coils have ALL been replaced. Hopin its nailed now.

BTW, they showed me the original catalytic convertor, and while I've never seen the inside of a new one, the inside of mine looked like royal shit.[/quote']

Did the cat or your exhaust have a very strong smell of rotten eggs?

Did the cat or your exhaust have a very strong smell of rotten eggs?

I know the smell you're referring to but do not recall smelling it when he showed me the cat earlier and don't recall ever smelling it come from the car.

Cats should last 7-10 years. Being your car is an 02, that's pretty much on the money for failure if it hadn't been replaced before. The lack of sulphur smell makes me question it, but it would've needed it soon even if it wasn't bad. Generally they smell pretty bad for a while before they start causing troubles. It's the sulphur in the fuel. The cat collects it so it isn't released into the atmosphere (along with other shit).

Cats should last 7-10 years. Being your car is an 02, that's pretty much on the money for failure if it hadn't been replaced before. The lack of sulphur smell makes me question it, but it would've needed it soon even if it wasn't bad. Generally they smell pretty bad for a while before they start causing troubles. It's the sulphur in the fuel. The cat collects it so it isn't released into the atmosphere (along with other shit).

ALL the parts they replaced were all original, don't doubt that any of them needed replaced except maybe the O2 sensors. I just hope the problem is fixed :(,

should know in a few days I guess, it never took long for it to come back each time.

Ben, the misfire is causing excess fuel to reach the cat. That's then detected by the o2 as a cat deficiency. He just got the cat and o2s replaced so it's not those. It's the misfire causing that code. I betcha it'll work right now that the coil is replaced.

Ben, the misfire is causing excess fuel to reach the cat. That's then detected by the o2 as a cat deficiency. He just got the cat and o2s replaced so it's not those. It's the misfire causing that code. I betcha it'll work right now that the coil is replaced.

I haven't been following this, nor did I read it all. I didn't know what had been replaced until he just said something.

I know the smell you're referring to but do not recall smelling it when he showed me the cat earlier and don't recall ever smelling it come from the car.

the only smell in your car is the after effects of that skyline 3 way...:D

I hope she's fixed' date=' but my Spidey Senses are tingling. Have they pulled the spark plugs and inspected them visually, Dave?[/quote']

The plugs were replaced in Repair #1. And tell your spidey senses to hush!

I know the plugs were replaced. I wanted to see them as they are now. Spark plugs are the rat finks of the ignition system. They will tell the whole story.

Oh I don't know if they had 'em back out since they replaced them.

I really appreciate ALL you guys input on this, they weren't gonna replace the ignition coils if it hadn't been for me tellin him

I wanted them done anyway after you all called BS on the EGR valve!

Assuming its fixed, I don't think I came out toooo bad considering everything that actually got replaced.

What I mean is if I had to pay for every bit of work/parts they did it would have been much more.

BTW, I questioned them on the price they charged me for the cat ($517), told him I found cats in the range of $115-$200 online.

But he said the one they got was a genuine Mazda part that they got from Mazda, so that price probably aint to bad considering

I'm sure it would have been more to have it replaced at a Mazda dealership.

To get back on topic here for sec, I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that the P0421 code didn't come back after the cat was replaced. If it did, with the misfire codes in there it cannot be trusted. Seeing that the Misfires were cyls 1&3, I'd say just the wires were at fault, but should have the coil boots replaced. Sometimes they don't have boots available for some applications, then they have to replace the coil.

To verify the repair, on the catalyst anyway, they should have driven an OBD2 drive cycle, which is a specific set of driving conditions to get the PCM to run all of it's tests, then check for pending codes, and look at mode $06 data to see if it was passing. It's not that tough, if the tech knows what they're doing, and how the system works....