Need Help from the IT/ Network/ Computer Gurus

Artmageddon

Okay here is what I have.

We needed to add a PC to run a machine in the backroom at work. Our hardwired network did not have a connection in this room, so I got wireless NIC for it, we already had the router. (Linksys router WRT54GS, NIC is WMP54G). This connection is only for internet and very limited file transfer.

Also, the new equipment needs to be connected to the PC via Ethernet, so I used the on board controller, no problems there.

OS is XP home with SP3( had an copy of home, was just trying to be nice and save my boss a few bucks rather than buying pro), I can post hardware specs if necessary.

Everything works fine, but I do keep getting Blue Screens, and they are coming from the network connections.

First it was a TCP IP BSoD, repalced the file, and ran this patch that people have seemd to have luck with- http://www.lvllord.de/

worked fine, but now I get Bad Pool Header BSoDs.

Any suggestions? It appears to be driver related, and I have updated every single driver on this PC. It is a new build and I did have small hiccup installing the wireless NIC. Of course being a guy and a somewhat competent computer nerd I didn't read every instruction, so I threw the NIC in as I was assembling the PC.

I then noticed in the setup for the LInksys NIC, software should be installed first, so I uninstalled it, ran C Cleaner to clear any left over registry info, and then reinstalled following the linksys instructions. It works fine, and I am using XP to control this NIC rather than the accompaning software.

I also remember hearing that dual NICs can be troublesome, could the BSoD be coming from that?

Let me know if you have any suggestions or fixes. Thanks!

Just so I'm clear, you have the ethernet connection coming from Wireless NIC, and then the peripheral equipment connected through the onboard NIC?

Have you tried unplugging your peripheral equipment?

Yes, that is how it is setup.

When the peripheral equipment(It is a router/ engraver, kinda like what you see cut rims on the auto shows) is off, the connection is disconnected, and I still get the errors.

I also remember hearing that dual NICs can be troublesome, could the BSoD be coming from that?

Doubt it.

Often this is bad ram. Take it out and reseat it. If that does not help then leave out all the sticks you can and test them one at a time. If that does not work then take out wireless card you just put in and see if that solves it. You need to narrow down the cause.

This machine has the latest service pack on it right?

All Service Packs updated. I will try the ram to see if that solves it.

Here are the error codes if someone knows how to interpret them:

BCCode : 19 BCP1 : 00000020 BCP2 : E1C3FD70 BCP3 : E1C3FDB8

BCP4 : 0C090407 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

Since you've got a minidump, do this:

Download MS's debug tool here: http://jblosser.com/ORstuff/dbg_x86_6.11.1.404.msi, or directly from MS in case you're wary of my website....

Install the debug tool.

Install Symbols from your XP CD, from the folder \support\symbols

Run the debug tool.

Load the dump file into windbg and read it (this is why we installed Symbols).

Type, without the quotes, "!Analyze -v" (yes, there's an exclamation point) at the windbg command line, this <should> tell you what the offending piece of hardware is.

Alternately, you could wipe the thing out and start over with a fresh install of XP with the wireless card in it. Might work, might not.

Does this happen when the router/engraver software is started? Maybe the s/w doesn't work with XP?

Are you sure that router/engraver hardware itself is compatible with XP?

• 2 weeks later...