CCW .45 Recommendations

Hwilli

Ive never felt a 45 to be a great combat handgun ? And the glock and S.A. XD's are the shit ! Rethink it !! LOL

Get ya the XD 9 or actulay glock makes a 10 shot 9mm that is compact and sweet as hell. I dont know the model number ? I like the model 22.. 40 s&w for tactical classes ??

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my daily carry and I like it very much. The Para Ord cwx645S. It conceals well and I hardly notice it is with me. It is a single stack 6+1, so I carry a 10rd reload.

CWX645Sphoto_big.jpg

I had the high capasity 45 para ord, when they first came out ! Good guns !!

What .45's do you already own?

I have a couple of 1911s, but I would prefer not to list what I own on the web. Catch me out and we can talk more in person.

Originally the top two on my list were the Kimber Ultra Carry II, and the Para CCO.

That being said they didnt have the Kimber I wanted in stock, so I bought the Glock 36 based on the recommendations of the thread on CR, and this thread.

It wouldn't have even been on my radar had I not posted.

H

Hwilli, I have a Glock 21SF (slim frame model) that I'm taking out shooting on the 20th. You're more than welcome to come along and check it out to see how if handles and try out a composite gun to get an idea if it's something you might want to try. It's the full size .45 and I have no problems carrying it concealed. It's not the best for it, I'd prefer to get the mid-size version for concealed carry but it's still pretty easy to hide with an in-the-waist holster. I also have a Kimber 1911 and honestly I think it's a pile. I won't even pick it up now. But again, if you would like to try it out to get a better idea of what you want you're more than welcome to go shooting with us.

I don't know the model number. It's not the largest 1911 style. It's the one just smaller. It's my brother's but I have it while he's in Italy. The problems with it are continuous jams. Mostly with loading the new round. The load ramp has been polished and worked a bit but I still had usually 1 round for every magazine fired, sometimes 2 magazines, that would catch on the load ramp. And the spent casings would stove pipe pretty regularly in the ejection port. I've never had a single failure with my Glock so to me the Kimber is just inferior. My brother swears by it but he hasn't compared it to my Glock yet.

I don't know the model number. It's not the largest 1911 style. It's the one just smaller. It's my brother's but I have it while he's in Italy. The problems with it are continuous jams. Mostly with loading the new round. The load ramp has been polished and worked a bit but I still had usually 1 round for every magazine fired, sometimes 2 magazines, that would catch on the load ramp. And the spent casings would stove pipe pretty regularly in the ejection port. I've never had a single failure with my Glock so to me the Kimber is just inferior. My brother swears by it but he hasn't compared it to my Glock yet.

My bad, I thought it was yours.

My bad, I thought it was yours.

Well it's mine while he's out of country;) It's the handgun I actually learned with a few years ago. And then moved to Glocks that my brothers-in-law carry for Phoenix PD. But every time I've used that Kimber, it gave me problems.

Sounds like the mag. that or someone fucked up the ramp. or it's just not broke in yet. my guess would be the mag.

Sounds like the mag. that or someone fucked up the ramp. or it's just not broke in yet. my guess would be the mag.

I know it's broke in because it's what my brother used to shoot all the time. It's possible that it's the mag but that would mean that both of the mags are bad. Maybe I'll have to try different ones sometime and see.

I know it's broke in because it's what my brother used to shoot all the time. It's possible that it's the mag but that would mean that both of the mags are bad. Maybe I'll have to try different ones sometime and see.

Failure to feed in 1911's is often related to the mags. Its also possible that whoever "polished" the ramp fucked it up.

try someone elses mags that you know work and if that doesn't work, get a new barrel

Not that it's your problem anyways. lol

btw, i pick up my new friend wednesday, S&W M&P357... 357sig, 4.25" and night sights... :D i can't wait. Brand new, $450 woot woot

Now i needs me a .40 barrel :)

SM206302.jpg

btw, i pick up my new friend wednesday, S&W M&P357... 357sig, 4.25" and night sights... :D i can't wait.

Now i needs me a .40 barrel :)

I have the identical setup. Bought it in .357sig and then bought a .40 barrel.

I have the .40 installed now because it's WAY cheaper to shoot.

You'll love it.

• 8 months later...

springfield 1911 gi 45 parkerized black with pachmayr finger grooved grips with a pancake holster. once you get used to the weight...its the best for the money. pretty and shinny does not make it shot straight...practice does. i also carry a glock 26....best of both worlds.....choose what is right for you not what we do...you have to carry it.

I will actually combine two post here.

The famed answer between the .45 and why not a .380 or 9mm is simply put from a legend in arms that now runs thunder ranch in TX. Simply stated and is now a poster on the wall at the training facilty. "I would rather the weapon that I only have to fire once" and his other famed answer to a reporter when asked the question "why do you carry a .45", again simply put "becuse they dont make a .46".

I have seen the good and bad side of firearms when I was a medic. People hoped up on crack and coke coming at a officer or trying to restrain someone and it is bang bang bang bang.

Then I have seen the other side of it. one .45 round and one gaping hole.

I choose a .45 I went with a Springfield armory mini tactical. Just a short slide .45 3.5" barrel and slide. Would love to have it comp'ed but whats the use. still uses standard mags so that is nice...