Ducati SF- worth the 15k?

OfcMav

I've been on one a few times, and my dads good friend bought one last summer. It was fun, but I'd buy a used Hypermotard, or an 848/1148 before I got a streetfighter... PS I used to have a 1098 and wouldn't trade it for a brand new streetfighter...

The seating position is a little odd... It would be a great 2nd bike, but never would I buy one for my primary bike.

IMO....You can buy a whole lot more bike, for a whole lot less money. I like them, but maintenance on Ducati's scares me. I ride 10-15K per year. Any standard/naked bike would be better I think (Kawasaki Z1000, Yamaha FZ1, etc.)

IMO....You can buy a whole lot more bike, for a whole lot less money. I like them, but maintenance on Ducati's scares me. I ride 10-15K per year. Any standard/naked bike would be better I think (Kawasaki Z1000, Yamaha FZ1, etc.)

Meh Ducati's aren't that bad to maintain. The old ones had a lot of maintenance to do, but the new ones arent bad at all...

i have been looking at the duc streetfighter now for awhile, i want to upgrade and this has just captured my every thought. I have a nice tax return coming back and wanted to use it for an upgrade, is the sf worth 15k???

.nope.

I want to upgrade and this has just captured my every thought

IMO ... yeah, if you have the cash and thats who you want to roll ... fuck it, rock it out ...

You don't need us to validate the decision you've already made :)

I like the looks of the Ducati sportbikes ever since I seen the 916 back in the day. Being honest, I am in my late 30's and even my current "sport" bike, the Katana 600, I have not pushed that bike to the limit. The Ducati may still have the reputation of a high maintance bike. Depending on the type of riding, I dont think a 848/1198 would be an everyday bike.

I would like to own a Ducati because I like them and they are not all that common.

From the people that actually own a Duc sport bike, how much maintance is required? I think I could afford the bike ( with payments of course) but not sure of the required up keep. I would think with help, I could/want to do most of the work myself.

The idea of the "garage days" sounds great.

Aprilia Tuono- used, maybe 2004-2007. Tig exhaust, pc, etc. $5-6,000.00. Valves are easy to work on, motor is bulletproof, and 135hp and 80lbs torque.

Exotic.... And still around $10,000 to spend on hookers and blow.

Aprilia Tuono- used, maybe 2004-2007. Tig exhaust, pc, etc. $5-6,000.00. Valves are easy to work on, motor is bulletproof, and 135hp and 80lbs torque.

Exotic.... And still around $10,000 to spend on hookers and blow.

And hopefully my next bike so I can take a rizzide to the west coast. :cool:

thanks for all of your responses! I am still debating, it is so tempting but for me this will be a huge upgrade and even Dubguy you say this wouldnt be your primary bike, why you say that? just curious. the naked superbike has really grown on me. i was debating on that or the new monster but the looks of the Duc SF just really caught all of my attention.

The tuono i have looked into but feel like it looks like an alien, with exhausts from the '90s, i wish they would redesign it because i would like to jump on the aprilia!

Any suggestions for test rides?

thanks for all of your responses! I am still debating, it is so tempting but for me this will be a huge upgrade and even Dubguy you say this wouldnt be your primary bike, why you say that? just curious. the naked superbike has really grown on me. i was debating on that or the new monster but the looks of the Duc SF just really caught all of my attention.

The tuono i have looked into but feel like it looks like an alien, i with they would redesign it because i would like to jump on the aprilia!

Any suggestions for test rides?

I dunno..It has no fairing, so long rides would kill you with wind. The bike is very compact and not very comfortable. There is absolutely no back seat, so riding 2 up is near impossible.

Its a sweet bike, don't get me wrong..But if I was going to own 1 bike period, it wouldn't be this one.

But hey..To each his own.. its a sweet bike, and if you get it, i'll be envious, but just my personal opinion on only JUST this wouldn't be your best choice.

Thanks Dubguy, I do like to take longer road trips dont really know how bad the wind/no fairing would be for that. I have sat on one and the ergos seemed more comfortable than the 1098. It also looks like id have room for my sport bags, not sure tho, but would need some room for some clothes lol

I think the new Streetfighters are awesome!! I was really thinking about getting one of them or even the Monster 1100 before I got my zx6r this winter. I just decided I could get the ninja with cash and would have needed to finance those. The maintenance isn't really that bad anymore, it's just a reputation from the older bikes that's still hanging around. Checking the valve clearances is really the only big thing and those intervals are much longer than they used to be. I think the ergonomics are more comfortable than any of the pure sport bikes and 2-up wouldn't be any worse than any of those either. I'm still going to keep my eye out for them in a couple of years when I can get a used one for a little less as I would also like to get the "s" model.

T I do like to take longer road trips dont really know how bad the wind/no fairing would be for that.

The wind is going to assault you, AND the bike. If you're talking about long rides...cruising..I would think twice. As a second bike..as others have said..sure. Primary bike? I'll just say it's a rude awakening coming from a full fairing bike.

so you guys with Duc experience, the MSRP...is that THE price or do they deal at all on them? like for a 2009 SF or M1100??

You can usually deal a little, though not a lot, generally. Best bet is to find a used one with really low miles.

Example, I saw a M1100s (@14k) with all the the dealer mods: full Termi exhaust, upgraded ducati seat,Sato rear sets, and tons of CF. It would have ran @18k or more MSRP at the dealer. It had @600 miles and it sold for @$12k.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/monsters-sale/194587-fs-2009-ducati-monster-1100s-red-full-termi-800mi-like-new.html

You would've been better off getting a 1125R or CR for a next upgrade when prices for them were rock-bottom.

As far as wind protection goes, back when I was riding my old man's '99 Buell X1 with the bikini fairing, it didn't beat me around as bad as I thought. I suppose I wasn't running the same speeds back then either.

What is the reason you're buying this naked bike? That's the question. You want something exotic just for the rep to say you have something exotic? Or are you really going to ride it how it's meant to be ridden and keep up with the maintenance? There's probably a lot of things you can afford to buy -- but can't afford to maintain.