Username/Password Popup windows?

SWing'R

Starting last night I've been getting popup windows asking for user login verification???

I usually come to the site at ohio-riders.net but just now I couldn't get on that way, had to go the .com route.

Kept getting server application errors everytime I closed the popup that kept opening.

What gives??

Edited by SWing'R

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's odd. There is no code that could pop up asking for a login.

Going to these links should automatically redirect to www.ohio-riders.com:

www.ohioriders.net

www.ohio-riders.net

Does that work?

There should definitely not be any popups asking for your username and password. I'm 99% sure there is no popup code in this style for vBulletin. I did the conversion for this style for 3.6 to 3.7 and 3.8. I've been though this code line by line, and I can't remember anything that would cause a popup asking for login info.

No pop-ups here, tried both .net addresses through Chrome, FF, and IE on both Linux and Windows 7.

Before you call bs, I run ies4linux to get IE on Linux - needed for website compatibility testing.

Not sure what the others are seeing.

EDIT: Also working properly from Crackberry browser to hyphen.net and nohyphen.net

Edited by jblosser

It was happening to me w/ Firefox going to ohio-riders.net. I don't know what web server you are using but I know with IIS, for example, if you try to access something you don't have file permissions to, it will ask for user name/password w/o it being a part of the web app.

It was happening to me w/ Firefox going to ohio-riders.net. I don't know what web server you are using but I know with IIS, for example, if you try to access something you don't have file permissions to, it will ask for user name/password w/o it being a part of the web app.

^ Better explaination...

Now that's really odd. There's NOTHING that would prompt that on OR.

Is there maybe something that it's trying to access of the o-r.net that is now password protected that wasn't before? THAT's the type of prompt I'm getting. I'm thinking it must be a banner or something, since it's random. FOr the record, I haven't noticed it yet today, and it seemed to only happen on the first few pages I went to AFTER being idle for a while. Not sure if any of that matters or not, just trying to help!

Is there any rhyme or reason to the page that you're on? Like does it only happen on the main front page? Or does it happen at the forumhome? While viewing a thread? All of the above?

The only outside content in the design of the site is the weather on the front page, the radar GIFs on the radar page, and the Playlist.com playlists on member profiles. Everything else is hosted locally, and called using /... paths so the domain name shouldn't matter.

Found it. It was the biggrin smilie: :D

It was set to http://www.ohio-riders.net/images/smilies/biggrin.gif. The file permission was 770, read/write/execute for owner (apache) and group (www), but none for guest. Apache apparently handles redirects a bit oddly. Even though the file is owned by apache, the redirect was being viewed as coming from a guest, thus throwing up a file level permission error. No worries, it's fixed now. I scaned the database for any images pointing to the wrong domains. I'm pretty sure I got them all. If anyone sees this again, please take a screenshot. The images being viewed (or not viewed in this case) will help me figure out which one's I've missed. Thanks everyone!