Nov 4th charity ride

F4iBunny

There is a ride for Nov 4th, I think it's going to be a Poker Run, that they were talking about at the Lube the other night. Their was a Columbus cop who was on his way to work when he crashed and died and because his shift hadn't started yet and wasn't on the clock, the powers that be at the police department are refusing to pay his pension to his family! He left behind a wife and 2 kids and the money will go to help them. If anyone is interested, there may be more info on the Lube site.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did not really say to much about the ride part, just when & what it was for.

I'm not a big fan of cops at all (i'm sure I;m not alone either) but this is a f'ed situation. We'll try to stop by Pony & see if the have any flyers or anything. If not we'll call QSL see what else they know about it.

The 4th is a Sunday (always on days that I work). I may be able to get home, get the bike & hear out for a couple of hours then go home & colapse in bed after.

I'd say if it's dry I'll be there.

I really hope we can have a great turn out for this ride! I know must of us don't like cops, but this situation is so messed up! If you guys don't have anything to do Nov 4 please come out! If you bike is not in condition for the ride example track bike, put away for the winter! Please come out and donate what you can to this family! They need it! Holidays are coming up and I'm sure money is really tight for this family right now! I hope to see a lot of ohioriders out this day!

cops make really good money, i guess it sucks to die but he should have some kind of life insurance. If I die tomorrow I dont expect anyone to have to do anything for my family members. Why dont they do a poker run for some sick children?

Before some of you guys go donating money you need to get some of your info correct. As a government employee he probably has OPERS and his retirement savings will be paid as a lump sum to his designated beneficiaries. It is not the police departments right or ability to choose to keep or paout his pension.

For public employees in ohio the contribution rate is approx 9% by the employee and 13.81% from the state which is 22.81% into your retirement. If any of your employers can beat that let me know and I will quit my job to come work at your place

I agree with shitty. Some of the cops at OSU pull in six figures for being dickheads. By my calculations that's $22,810 per year into retirement on a 100K salary. Is the wife dead too? Maybe if she is alive she drain society by being "disabled" from her mental anguish. Maybe our charity ride could include driving around to different places picking up job applications for his wife.

I don't understand how these people can even ask for charity. I have a life insurance policy and I don't even have a husband or kids that would go without if I die. I'm sure my pomeranian would make out okay though.

I dont know if the wife is "asking" for handouts or if it's just of on those things cops do, stick together and all that.

Perhaps they could take the money from all the stupid fine & dish some of that out.... yeah right.

Either way, if it's dry I should be out. Never know, $5 then could end up saving me a speeding ticket later down the road.

This wasn't just a bunch of bikers getting together to do this. We got the info that night from a Columbus cop in uniform (not a Halloween costume) so I think he'd know what he was talking about. I don't know all the details, I don't know how much money he made and I don't know what percentage of his pay went into a retirement fund. The fact is that his family is being screwed because somebody in charge has made a shite decision!

If you don't want to participate, that's fine. It sounded like a good cause and I simply wanted to put it out there for those who are interested. Why does everything have to turn into a bitch-fest on this board?!?! :bitchfight:

For those who do give a damn, I'm gonna check out Pony today and see if there's any more info about it.

This wasn't just a bunch of bikers getting together to do this. We got the info that night from a Columbus cop in uniform (not a Halloween costume) so I think he'd know what he was talking about. I don't know all the details, I don't know how much money he made and I don't know what percentage of his pay went into a retirement fund. The fact is that his family is being screwed because somebody in charge has made a shite decision!

If you don't want to participate, that's fine. It sounded like a good cause and I simply wanted to put it out there for those who are interested. Why does everything have to turn into a bitch-fest on this board?!?! :bitchfight:

For those who do give a damn, I'm gonna check out Pony today and see if there's any more info about it.

I think that most people only have so much to give so it is very important that they give to those that are the most deserving in thier eyes. He was a public employee, that is not up for debate. Second his retirement savings go to his beneficiary, the end, no discussion. His boss or whom ever does not get to make that decision. If there is more to the story then great, lets hear it.

THIS is not bitching, it is pointing out that the story you received does not make sense at all. So if you want to support this cause by all means do so but please do not misinform people.

THE END

I wasn't misinforming ppl. I was passing on what was told to me by one of the police officers and, like I said, I'm sure he knows more about it than you do! I am trying to find more information about it. I do not believe it is his retirement fund that they are not allowing because that doesn't make any sense. I will be sure to record what is said next time and get the exact words for everyone who is skeptical. When I find out more (no info at Pony today) I will let everyone know. What I don't understand is why you insist on putting it down without knowing more too? Am I the only one around here with a heart? If it hadn't come straight from the cop's mouth, I may be more skeptical as well but I was the one who was there and it sounded legit to me.

I agree bunny! This man was on his way to work( and we may not like what he does for a living) but the fact is his job is to protect our city! Not just to write out speeding tickets to us! This man leaves a family behind a young wife and kids! Yes, Bunny some people don't have a heart and feel people will do anything to get money! To those people stay at home and don't come! Those who do come will be fellow officers, I know a couple firefighters who will be there, and a lot of riders who are willing to give up a few dollars to help this family out! Shitty your right people only have so much to give! I agree with that but to all those who can't give up eating out to lunch one day that week, a starbucks coffee, or whatever you spend a couple bucks on! I'll see those who come out this weekend!

I wasn't misinforming ppl. I was passing on what was told to me by one of the police officers and, like I said, I'm sure he knows more about it than you do! I am trying to find more information about it. I do not believe it is his retirement fund that they are not allowing because that doesn't make any sense. I will be sure to record what is said next time and get the exact words for everyone who is skeptical. When I find out more (no info at Pony today) I will let everyone know. What I don't understand is why you insist on putting it down without knowing more too? Am I the only one around here with a heart? If it hadn't come straight from the cop's mouth, I may be more skeptical as well but I was the one who was there and it sounded legit to me.

first "passing on information" that you have not verified as correct is pretty much the definition of misinforming.

Second can you please tell me the difference between pension and retirement? I know more than enough about state retirement programs as I have been a contributor for years. If you would like the internet is for more than motorcycle forums, and you can do all of the reading you would like about government retirement funds.

"straight from the cops mouth" yea you are going to have a hard time selling that to members here. I am sure that everything "straight from a cops mouth" is true.

If you really want to have a heart gsxrnurse has some student loans you could help pay by not having starbucks once a week. See the whole point is to take the time and get shit straight. I am not putting it down but am putting things in perspective.

Why would a cop know more than I do? I am sure that my education is much more extensive than his. Plus I am a state employee just like he was and receive the same benefits.

Ok, whatever...

I have my own student loans to pay, thank you, therefore I don't buy Starbucks. Plus, I think it's just $5, but I will verify that hopefully before I'm quoted again.

I simply believe that the cop telling us about it would have his information straight because the guy he was talking about was ANOTHER COP! Forgive me, I don't remember the EXACT wording but that it sounds like his family is being jipped from something they should receive. I figure he knows more about the incident than you because, forgive me if I'm wrong, but you are not a Columbus cop, are you?

FACT: Dead cop

FACT: Poker Run, QSL, November 4th 11am-2pm, auction on return

Going to QSL to get flyer so I can give details

Really she has student loans? ha thats a good one she did that on her own to go into debt to go to school! This guy didn't kill himself! He died on the way to work and left a family with a lot to deal with! You make me sick! I don't drink $5 coffee either but I was just using that as an example! I was there that night along with Ace and Mr Bret and we all heard the same thing as Bunny did! There are a lot of charity rides throughout the year. Some people can give more then others and those who can will! Yet, it hits close to home when its for a cop or a firefighter.........with my job I work close to police officers. Like I said before you don't have to like cops I rag on my cousin & uncle everytime I see them in uniform! Yet, they do their best to keep the city safe along with handing out a fair share of tickets! lol!

I have the flyer here with me & I will post what it says word for word later tonight.

I think it's safe to say that Shitty will not be there, made that pretty clear. BUT

To all those who want to help out or even just want to go for a nice little ride with a few stops on the way I will see you there..... if it is dry.

more to follow in a bit................

Auction / Poker Run for fallen officer Jason Tormasi

Quaker Steak & Lube - Polaris

Novermber 4th 11am - 2pm

"Columbus police officer Jason Tormasi was tragically killed in a one vechicle car crash on his way to work on Oct 2nd. Officer Tormasi dies while traveling to his reporting sub-station thus not qualifying him for certain federal benefits awarded for his family. He was in uniform and within 30 minutes of the start of his shift. Officer Tormasi worked the 12th precinct located in the near east side of Columbus. He was a 6-year veteran of the Columbus Police Dept. Jason leaves behind a wife & 3 young children."

Any issue you have with the above statement contact the cops as this was taken directly from the flyer they put out.

:postcop:

there that is all I asked. That sounds alot different from the origional post. I never made fun of the guy or said anything bad about him. I just stated the the origional post was incorrect. I am sure his wife and kids would rather have him back then any amount of money. I am sorry that I make some of you sick because I found something fishy with the origional post, which was not exactly correct

So he does not get the insurance payout that covers his death while in the line of duty, I guess I can see both sides because he did not report for work yet thus not on duty. So, the family will be without his income, and they are setting up a fund, sounds great I can definately buy that and maybe I'l even attend.

Yes after reading the first post there was ONE word that was not correct, PENSION. But being a a crowded bar about 20+ feet from the cop who was talking & a bunch of people talking I think getting that much info was good. So for everyone that has been put out by this wrong word you can now rest assured the correct info has been posted.

There is still a poker run, Still on Nov 4th, Still for a dead cop, Still for a reason that his family are not getting money they would have if he died a hour later.

So as you can see EVERYTHING that is of any real concern to those who are going for the ride & to do what they can to help is the same.

I will also put out a big SORRY from myself, 250bunny, GSXR750GIRL & ACE140 for not beating every once of info from the cop that was there as I really did not see it as being quite so much of a major issue as it has become.

So to all those that do not really give a :monkeypoo: that one word was incorrect in the very first post I will see you there, and any that now feel that the info has made that much difference that they WILL now come, I'll see you all there to :cheers:.

Anyone who still wont be going for any reason at all, ok, thats your call. Hope you have a good day doing what ever else you do. :)

Oh & we will try to call on of the cops to find out how much it cost for the poker run & post that later on. I thought he said it was $5 but do not quote on that.