Know how to tig weld?

35RFTW

If you do, I am looking to learn. Been considering getting a tig for our shop and myself. I have tig welded before, but nothing extensive. I would still consider myself to know little to nothing. Willing to pay for materials to practice with and your help learning. I would rather get some training from a pro that just play around and waste a bunch of consumables trying to learn. Mainly concerned with stainless and aluminum. Cast aluminum as well. I am free all day on Mondays and Sundays or any night after 7. Shoot me a text or an email to JustinA@800390bike.com. Once again looking to learn, not to hire a welder.

I used to be able to tig really well. I was doing tricky stuff, like cast aluminum to billet aluminum even. From what I recall, make sure everything is clean, clean, clean!

We have a tig at the shop, and I have welded some aluminum with it, but until we get a foot pedal, and throw out that stupid hand control, I won't do so well. Stainless is really easy, as long as it's clean, also. I wish I had more time and stuff to weld with it!

ps, columbus state is offering tig summer quarter ( they only do 2 tig classes per year). prereq's are Appl 107, 108, and 298 if anyone cares

I did not see anything offered by Columbus state at all:confused: Could you possibly direct me to some more info on this because i didn't see it on their site.

Heck our welding school at lincoln offers tig classes from some of the best in the world if ya have the time and money to do them.

time is the issue there. Everyone wants to still be able to buy bikes right? lol. Not to mention they want you to take a few other classes before the tig class.

I an not needing a complete education on welding from stick welding to titanium. I need aluminum and stainless skills. The cast to billet aluminum experience would be awesome as well.

If you do, I am looking to learn. Been considering getting a tig for our shop and myself. I have tig welded before, but nothing extensive. I would still consider myself to know little to nothing. Willing to pay for materials to practice with and your help learning. I would rather get some training from a pro that just play around and waste a bunch of consumables trying to learn. Mainly concerned with stainless and aluminum. Cast aluminum as well. I am free all day on Mondays and Sundays or any night after 7. Shoot me a text or an email to JustinA@800390bike.com. Once again looking to learn, not to hire a welder.

Do you need to weld a front bumper on a cargo van or something? =)

I did not see anything offered by Columbus state at all:confused: Could you possibly direct me to some more info on this because i didn't see it on their site.

thats because the tig class isn't listed on the site until it's available. it will be available summer quarter but it has 3 prereqs and only 2 of them can be taken at the same time.

time is the issue there. Everyone wants to still be able to buy bikes right? lol. Not to mention they want you to take a few other classes before the tig class.

I an not needing a complete education on welding from stick welding to titanium. I need aluminum and stainless skills. The cast to billet aluminum experience would be awesome as well.

I wish I was up to it, but my skillz are a bit worse than rusty! If I had my prefernce of types of welding to do, it would be tig. Unfortunately, things are rarely clean enough, nor convenient enough to use it at our shop.

Just buy the rig and practice ....it's an art that is only learned via experience.

and knowledge..anyone can go and weld something up with practice, but not everyone can make and learn what an expectable weld is.

And I kept hearing that CS had a TIG class but I've never seen it..might have to take that, as I am finishing up the SMAW class now and taking the MIG next quarter. Fun classes and a lot of "free" electrodes :D

and knowledge..anyone can go and weld something up with practice, but not everyone can make and learn what an expectable weld is.

And I kept hearing that CS had a TIG class but I've never seen it..might have to take that, as I am finishing up the SMAW class now and taking the MIG next quarter. Fun classes and a lot of "free" electrodes :D

i'm in the gmaw class now so i'm a step ahead. you should take the oxy/fuel welding class next quarter too because you need it before tig. next quarter i will be in 118 and the oxy/fuel.

and +1 on the fact that anyone can weld something with practice, doing it right is another story.

Ha! I get welding school for free from work just have to do 16 hour days till class is over! I use to work with the basic instructor so he is trying to get me in the next few classes. I dont think I will go all the way thru tig as it would take 12 weeks I beleive. But stick/mig, pipe, submerged arc, are on my to learn list. I can hack weld with stick and mig but they are not pretty.

i'm in the gmaw class now so i'm a step ahead. you should take the oxy/fuel welding class next quarter too because you need it before tig. next quarter i will be in 118 and the oxy/fuel.

and +1 on the fact that anyone can weld something with practice, doing it right is another story.

dang, didnt know you had to take oxy too. Looks like I may add that to the list also.