520 Chain/Sprocket Conversion Kit

RC51 John

I own a 2000 RC51 with and power commander and slip-ons.

I need a new chain and I am going to buy a 520 conversion kit.

The stock sprockets are 16/40.

I am thinking of going with a 16/42, but a few sites have suggested a 15/41.

I want quicker acceleration, but I don't want to do wheel stands every time I crack the throttle open.

Is the 15/41 more for the track?

Any suggestions?

I'd go with the 15/41 (+4), every tooth down in the front is like adding 3t to the rear.. front sprockets are cheap and a 5min swap, and you can always put a stock 16t-(520) and only be +1 if ya don't like the 15t on the new 520 setup

520 conv's are a waste in my mind... Stick w/530 and run some different setups all by just changing the front sprkt (+3 increments), but the smaller you go up front the more the chain takes the beating...

my .02--->

I'm @ -2/+15 (15/57) and luv it..

Well speaking from experience on my 03 RC51, I had the stock gearing and changed that right away. I had 15/41 520 for 3 years and just put on new 15/42 520 this past week. I haven't ridden much since the 15/42 yet, but the 15/41 was a great ride. I rode to work today, so hopefully I'll get to hit a few nice roads on the way home to let you know about the new gearing. I'd at least go with 15/41 520...for more info look at www.rc51.org (modification info) and www.rc51.com (forum). Some guys on rc51.com can get you a 520 set up for a decent price. Let me know if you need any other help. It's good to see another RC on here.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, just my 2 cents. If you look at your final gear ratio, say 2.75:1, that tells you how many rear teeth = one front tooth. That would give you approx. three teeth for most bikes/ratios.

P.S. I used to have a savvy technician help me out with the R6. He also had an RC with a 520 conv. = to +7 in the rear for the track & street.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Do I have beer ??? Ha, no but I can get some!!! Im in no rush but do you have any maintenance you need to do? I have impact wrenches, torque wrenches. shit if you need to do some powdercoating or anodizing i have all of that stuff in the garage.

I'm joking man, I do need to flush my radiator before spring riding. Let me know when you need to borrow it, I already busted a pin for it but took it back to Iron Pony and they gave me a new one. I learned the hard way to grind off as much as I could when removing the master link.