Need opinion on potential jacket

jsheikh

I understand about budgets, but if the leather only costs 50-70 bucks more, I'd think my skin would be worth that. Your call.

Oh ya i have no prob spending that much more on leather... but when i see prices like 300+... im like whoa i dunno if thats all that necessary for me yet. I dont think ive gone past 45mph haha

Oh ya i have no prob spending that much more on leather... but when i see prices like 300+... im like whoa i dunno if thats all that necessary for me yet. I dont think ive gone past 45mph haha

Jump out of the passenger seat of a car at 30MPH and tell me it's not necessary. If you're going faster than a running pace, speed's got nothing to do with it anymore. It's all about road rash.

When the unfortunate time comes that you do crash, you're going to want that extra protection that only leather offers. I wear mine every ride. Sucks in the dead of summer heat, but you know that if anything happens, you are as protected as you can get.

Well my question isnt leather gear or no gear... My Question is would mesh/textile suffice at those speeds.

I lowsided in my clearance mesh Fieldsheer jacket at less than 15MPH around a turn. I had about 3 holes in it where the mesh nylon melted, but not enough to compromise the placement of the armor. No road rash where the jacket protected, did get rash on my legs (just jeans).

Lowsided again at about 25/30MPH on Cheech's Corner (thanks again Todd ;)) in Nerk wearing a Firstgear textile jacket, knee pads with armor under jeans, and race boots with toe sliders. No rash anywhere, but jacket didn't hit until I got to soft earth instead of pavement. Scrapes on jacket.

I'm not here to preach to you about what you wear or don't wear, at the end of the day it's your skin and your hospital bill.

I went down >30 in a JR ballistic textile 5.0 jacket on the road and it held up fine and I still wear it. The only sign of the crash is a scuff on the badge on the shoulder. Imo textile jackets are good. Especially for touring type rides. You should make sure the armor is good in all the places it should be.

In my short time in the riding and especially on the forums I've learned you have your gear naxi's, your leather naxi's and your I bought this so you should too naxi's.

A mesh jacket I won't touch. Just for the simple reason it's really not intended to hold up for more than one off. So I see it as a waste of money when you can get a textile or leather for the same price or close to.

Thanks for all the advice guys... Obviously my first choice is to get a leather jacket, Im just seeing what my options are. If i can find a decent leather jacket for a good price then ill get it. And if i see a textile jacket i like, i just dont wanna regret buying it haha...

... That being said, you guys prefer any brands? Any brands to steer away from?

Did anyone ask if you have ever got stuck in a rain storm? Have fun with a 10 pound soggy leather jacket the next day when you want to ride again. My 2 cents is find a good wholesale site and buy one of each. I have two leather jackets with a set of leather pants. I also have a two piece textile suit for cold wet times. And a one peice race leather for when we go to hit the good roads down south. And a mesh and leather jacket to ride to work in. no such thing as to many choices.

Here's that Scorpion jacket I linked to the other day. Only ridden with it for 10 minutes but headed out in a couple for a couple hours.

Jacket has some nice stitching, a lot of pockets and seems to be just what I was looking for. First leather riding coat for me so my experience with this type of coat is nonexistent. I the only thing style wise I could do without is the flames. Glad I didn't get the one with patches. It would be just to flashy for me. So far I would recommend it for the $150 it costs.

105_49092.jpg

105_49102.jpg

105_49112.jpg

105_49122.jpg

105_49132.jpg

Here's that Scorpion jacket I linked to the other day. Only ridden with it for 10 minutes but headed out in a couple for a couple hours.

Jacket has some nice stitching, a lot of pockets and seems to be just what I was looking for. First leather riding coat for me so my experience with this type of coat is nonexistent. I the only thing style wise I could do without is the flames. Glad I didn't get the one with patches. It would be just to flashy for me. So far I would recommend it for the $150 it costs.

105_49092.jpg

105_49102.jpg

105_49112.jpg

105_49122.jpg

105_49132.jpg

Ya dude i found a scorpion stinger perf leather jacket for 150bux. Its in red and black so it'll def match my bike. I saw an alpinestar too which was 180 but was red/black/white, didnt match as well. I heard the scorpion quality is pretty good too, so i think ill go with that one since it matches better.

Excellent pickup. You'll notice a much better airflow once it warms up enough to take the liner out. If you have enough room under the seat, I recommend getting an emergency poncho. When/if you get caught in the rain, leather will get very heavy very quickly.

$140 for a used textile mesh jacket that has been down is WAYYYY toooo much. Tell your buddy 50 bucks and it's a deal. As far as safety of mesh gear... as long as it has armor I have no problem wearing it. I do it for comfort and some added safety.

My main riding jacket is a Fieldsheer textile w/armor. I prefer textile as it requires less maintenance and Usually has more venting options.