Calling all speeding ticket experts!

Dubguy85

I got my first Ohio ticket in my cage on Saturday. It was about 2 miles from my house on 270. Going 81 in a 65. Late for a baby shower :rolleyes:.. Anyway, I drive a company car, and drive about 55K miles a year.

So my questions are.. What are my options. I don't care about the money as much as I do the points.

1. Can I fight it, and hope he doesn't show, or is that a myth?

2. If I go and he doesn't show, will they just reschedule and THEN he will show?

3. I want to go to fight it and try and pay more, but get the points off.

4. Could I just call the prosecuting attorney and see if I can pay more and get the points off before ever going to court?

5. Any other options to get points back on (Drivers safety video or something)

6. Any other options in general?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6. Any other options in general?

Don't break the law? (or at least don't get caught!)

Now that I've said that, I don't know how I've avoided getting any tickets in the past 12 or so years. The last was in 1998 (I think) for driving under suspension, suspenion was from a DUI, and no insurance. I guess maybe I've grown up, been lucky, or realistically some combination of the two!

1. This is happening less and less, Cops often get paid overtime for showing up

2. No, in that case you're home free, but it's not too likely (see above)

3. Rather than try and fight it you can often ask the Prosecutor for a plea bargain. Within Columbus limits you usually get to go to packed courthouse where they just want you to pay and move on. Tell them how clean your record is, you don't want to get in trouble for the car, be honest (without incriminating yourself, in case you do need to plea not guilty) and ask to have it changed to a muffler violation. Similar fine, no points.

4. You may be able to, showing up in person is better. A lot of places get so many tickets they will not allow you to see the prosecutor until your arraignment.

5. Different places have different programs. Don't worry about this unless you fight it and lose.

6. Hire a lawyer.

One other question, was it radar, laser, pacing? What's on the ticket?

1. This is happening less and less, Cops often get paid overtime for showing up

2. No, in that case you're home free, but it's not too likely (see above)

3. Rather than try and fight it you can often ask the Prosecutor for a plea bargain. Within Columbus limits you usually get to go to packed courthouse where they just want you to pay and move on. Tell them how clean your record is, you don't want to get in trouble for the car, be honest (without incriminating yourself, in case you do need to plea not guilty) and ask to have it changed to a muffler violation. Similar fine, no points.

4. You may be able to, showing up in person is better.

5. Different places have different programs. Don't worry about this unless you fight it and lose.

6. Hire a lawyer.

One other question, was it radar, laser, pacing? What's on the ticket?

Laser H1200 @ 1700ft or something.. The fricker had his car hidden and was just standing on the median like a pedestrian.. I got pwnd

Just show up to the court date. Talk to the prosecutor there before hand. They'll usually make you an offer right off the bat. It's usually pretty easy to get no points.

Exactly, that's what it's been when I've gone to Cbus. Mayor's court on the other hand . . . don't get me started.

Just show up to the court date. Talk to the prosecutor there before hand. They'll usually make you an offer right off the bat. It's usually pretty easy to get no points.

"Make you an offer"? So best thing I can do is show up and see what I can do? I don't know who or where the prosecuter is? I've never done anything like this. Walk into the courthouse and say can i speak to the prosecuter or wht? lol

First off, here's the sequence of events:

The court date on your ticket is an arraignment. The ONLY thing you do here is plead guilty or not guilty. A not guilty plea will get a actual court date set in front of a magistrate. This is where the cop gets the summons to appear, and where all the magic happens.

Going early to talk to the prosecutor is always, always a good idea. With a clean driving record, you shouldn't have any problems with getting the points off. Remember, the government cares about cashy money, not about some arbitrary points. However, talking to the prosecutor gets harder if you already incriminated yourself to the cop. When you were pulled over did you admit to speeding, even indirectly? The cop should have written all that down in the narrative (the part of the ticket you don't see) the prosecutor will have that in his file when you see him, and it WILL be used against you in a court situation.

The only time a cop no-showed on me was in 04 when I fought a seatbelt ticket. I knew I was wearing it, I told the cop I was wearing it, he wrote me a ticket anyway and no-showed.

And even though this doesn't apply to you, if you find yourself in Mayor's Court, for fuck's sake get it remanded to the county muni court. Mayor's Courts are some of the most unconstitutional bullshits out there.

been there.. show up early... get in line.. its a first come first served basis... they will call ya up to the front. you will speak to the pros. he/she will ask tell you what your charged with.. then offer you a few options.. guilty/no contest/not guilty... then tell you what each one entails and how you want to plead.. after that you say what you plead. he tells the magistrate and he are "sentenced" if you plead no guilty a lot of times they will schedule out a court date. more info call me man i know all to well lol

When i was in high school, I attended a court session full of people with speeding tickets etc. I remember the one guy asked the judge really nicely and pointed out this was his first offense, and the judge said 'ok'... so the guy just had to pay the fine and didn't get any points.

Exactly, that's what it's been when I've gone to Cbus. Mayor's court on the other hand . . . don't get me started.

Granville? One thing about Mayor's court though, where do their records show up, other than BMV driving file? Nothing shows up in the the muni court file, not sure how far someone would have to go to dig up these records, or if they're filed somewhere that's easily accessible.

I wasn't..I was dropping my GF off in Tiffin and went up to Otisville Michigan to go feasant hunting with customers, but SHE (I) was late to the baby shower.

Mancard is safe for now.

I'm not so lucky, this is the year I get a detector

What works much better than a detector is a keen awareness of the road and the the drivers and traffic ahead of you.

As a mc rider you should already have a pretty developed sense of awareness on the road. Traffic patterns and tailights

tell amazing stories of the road ahead of you.

Laser detectors are worthless. Laser shoots such a tight beam that the cop can hit the guy next to you without your detector ever going off.

It will usually only go off with a direct hit to your vehicle, by that time its usually to late.

Standard radar detectors are still decent at protecting you on a lone stretch of road.

BTW, this is why I don't speed in my company van ;)

Cruise control gets set at about 5over everytime I'm on the road in the company van.

What works much better than a detector is a keen awareness of the road and the the drivers and traffic ahead of you.

As a mc rider you should already have a pretty developed sense of awareness on the road.

Indeed, and yet what's gotten me is when I'm zoned out in the car and roll through a speed trap with my cruise on. You have a point, I'm sure that's why I've never gotten stopped on the bike.

Also, once I pick up a different car (hopefully soon) I'm going to try Laser Veil. Anyone have any experience? I can only find good things so far.